Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2015 6:51:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
This is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd rather pay a few more dollars and build off of the Aero receivers.

In fact, I don't plan on using any PSA parts...
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
not gtg yet. Still have bugs yet to be worked out and the first batch of people that bought them dont appreciate being the guinea pigs. Im sure someone from that camp will be along shortly... and because this is GD someone else that has one will tell you it works perfectly and any problems others have are statistically acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I like mine...the only issue I had was the throat was too shallow they offered to fix it but I had a good reamer so I went ahead and pushed the throat to proper length...

all the other parts were fine and have been fine...the barrel issue was addressed and fixed...

even with the short throat it has yet to hang up...

I did make a cookie cutter/crutch shoe brake for it though

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#5]
why the hell PSA puts out a product with problems,alot of them is beyond me.Im one of those idiots who bought one and had problems from the first shot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I also beveled the top of the bolt catch so that when I use it, it does not hit the side of the upper receiver...
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why the hell PSA puts out a product with problems,alot of them is beyond me.Im one of those idiots who bought one and had problems from the first shot.
View Quote

I bought it the same reason I bought a few other types of guns...its good practice for me to see if I can get it to work...

three friends have now also bought PSA .308 kit guns and have had nothing but good things to happen...it seems they have worked out most of the issues....

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Minus 1
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
The one a guy at work I talked into buying as a guinea pig works well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#10]
In before LRRPF52!
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'd rather pay a few more dollars and build off of the Aero receivers.

In fact, I don't plan on using any PSA parts...
View Quote

My thought as well, the Aero stuff is pretty awesome.

I like PSA for accessories, but not rifle parts.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like mine...the only issue I had was the throat was too shallow they offered to fix it but I had a good reamer so I went ahead and pushed the throat to proper length...

all the other parts were fine and have been fine...the barrel issue was addressed and fixed...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/mauser348/P3270058_zps757959d9.jpg
View Quote

Is this what it means to be handy with a gun? If not, it should be.

I know what a reamer is, but how'd you do it? Take a little, check headspace, take a little more, check headspace, etc?
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

In before LRRPF52!
View Quote

i actually understand this reference...

BUT, i bought a pa10 lower and plan on using their upper, but that is about it
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I was about to build one, but decided against it.

My friend had the throat issues as described above, PSA replaced his barrel.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#15]
fuck psa bunch of monkeys. back in the day bad gun manufacturers could be prosecuted. Take pride in your work
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I know what a reamer is, but how'd you do it? Take a little, check headspace, take a little more, check headspace, etc?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

by feel ...if the reamer is not going all the way to its shoulder you are not removing material except by the throat...so you turn it a little...clear out the chips, rinse and repeat until you see a small chip on the shoulder...then using a gauge set rather than a go no go gauge  set I can se how much leeway I have to push the throat further if I need too...I could also just buy a throating reamer but did not want to wait...

the over pressure signs I got with federal match kings went away (It could shoot military ball no problem with the shorter throat) and the grouping tightened up by .250" so now it shoots 1.250 5 shot groups... so good enough for what I paid for it...great medium game gun
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#17]
My dad bought one. He had problems with it and sent it back for a refund. He told me, "I won't be buying any more of that PSA CRAP"

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
fuck psa bunch of monkeys. back in the day bad gun manufacturers could be prosecuted. Take pride in your work
View Quote

they should take pride in their work but because of the demonization of firearms combined with lack of training programs (its getting better) a lot of firearms knowledge has been lost and everyone thinks they are as good as a gunsmith....

not to mention in firearms designs being replaced with straight non gun guy engineers that we see this problem across the board...the engineers have their place in the big scheme of things but more collaboration needs to go on in the industry as a whole and the warranty/repair stations...

to your statement in red
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

There AR15 stiff is great

The AR10 and AKs not so much it appears
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I purchased  everything but a barrel  gas block and front hand guard from PSA,  I have had zero problems with mine.  

PSA has been very good a fixing anything that people complain about,  I got a 308 for around 600 complete really cant complain about that at all.

and no I am not defending PSA just what I have observed from the PSA page on the industry forum.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I have assembled 2 blemished lowers with their LPKs and installed complete uppers that I bought from them finished.  I put a Geissele SSA-E in it, which I sent to Geissele to have them shave a little off the back of the hammer for clearance.  I have really had no issues, aside from mine (20" NiBx BCG) in that I didn't lube the BCG before I went to the range, so it was single shotting.  I've since cleaned and lubed and went back to the range, it shot fine.  Accurate enough for me, just sighting it in, I could shoot 5 touching at 200 yards, off an attached bipod with ZQi 150gr Wallyworld ammo.

ETA:  Their Blemished PA-10 lowers are on sale for $79.99 today.  Pretty low barrier to entry.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Do  Aero uppers work on their lowers? I only own a lower.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:50:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have assembled 2 blemished lowers with their LPKs and installed complete uppers that I bought from them finished.  I put a Geissele SSA-E in it, which I sent to Geissele to have them shave a little off the back of the hammer for clearance.  I have really had no issues, aside from mine (20" NiBx BCG) in that I didn't lube the BCG before I went to the range, so it was single shotting.  I've since cleaned and lubed and went back to the range, it shot fine.  Accurate enough for me, just sighting it in, I could shoot 5 touching at 200 yards, off an attached bipod with ZQi 150gr Wallyworld ammo.

ETA:  Their Blemished PA-10 lowers are on sale for $79.99 today.  Pretty low barrier to entry.
View Quote

with kits on sale also so $650 build price without optics...
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#26]
With the DEF 10 out there, I wouldn't mess with them. Not until they've had the bugs worked out for some time, anyways.

The DEF 10 can be found for around a couple of hundred more and is SOLID.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I pretty pleased with mine so far, about 100 rounds through it with no issues.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How much do these 16" versions weigh w/o mag?
View Quote

I have never weighed mine...
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a PTAC 10 carbine I got Cyber Monday of last year for $712 shipped. I've since added a free-float keymod rail, micro gas block, and PA 4X scope. It came with the AR15 carbine buffer tube and the 308 short buffer and proper spring. I have shot a half case of Aguila 7.62 and had a few FTF. It's been accurate and reliable. I have Magpul, DPMS, and IMI Defense mags which all work and drop free just fine.

For a cheap 308 AR, it's a blast to shoot and has been reliable. I know there are many others that had issues in the beginning. For what it's worth, I also have an Aero M5 I built with their parts that was lots more money and doesn't shoot much better.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#30]
You can get an Armalite DEF-10 for a thousand
https://armalite.com/shop/defensive-sporting-rifle-10/
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#31]
M&P10's can be had for about 900-1000 also....  I'd rather get one from a reputable company with a full warranty.  There's so many vendors for cheap ar15 parts, so PSA kits seem to function fairly fine, but in the 308 market, it isn't flooded with parts yet, so to meet their price point, they have to sacrifice quality control.

I run a POF P308 and Sig 716, both run like a sewing machine with the POF being the more accurate of the two. Both have adjustable gas blocks also.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
M&P10's can be had for about 900-1000 also....  I'd rather get one from a reputable company with a full warranty.  There's so many vendors for cheap ar15 parts, so PSA kits seem to function fairly fine, but in the 308 market, it isn't flooded with parts yet, so to meet their price point, they have to sacrifice quality control.

I run a POF P308 and Sig 716, both run like a sewing machine with the POF being the more accurate of the two. Both have adjustable gas blocks also.
View Quote

Are you claiming that PSA is neither reputable and that it doesn't warranty its products
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Do  Aero uppers work on their lowers? I only own a lower.
View Quote

The unfortunate reality on the AR-10 market is there is almost no standardization, unlike the AR-15 market, so stick with one manufacturer, at least for upper and lowers.  You might get away with a barrel from another source.  I'd contact both manufacturers and ask them about compatibility.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 1:52:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Are you claiming that PSA is neither reputable and that it doesn't warranty its products
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their 308's have been known to be problematic, and though being able to send it back may be justifiable to some. The amount of rifles that had to be sent back is not acceptable. You can get a lemon with any company. But the better comapanies are less likely.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:01:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I have one, but have only shot 1 box of ammo through it.  Have not had a chance to break it in to see if there may be any kind of issues.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:06:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

by feel ...if the reamer is not going all the way to its shoulder you are not removing material except by the throat...so you turn it a little...clear out the chips, rinse and repeat until you see a small chip on the shoulder...then using a gauge set rather than a go no go gauge  set I can se how much leeway I have to push the throat further if I need too...I could also just buy a throating reamer but did not want to wait...

the over pressure signs I got with federal match kings went away (It could shoot military ball no problem with the shorter throat) and the grouping tightened up by .250" so now it shoots 1.250 5 shot groups... so good enough for what I paid for it...great medium game gun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.25" wow.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

1.25" wow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1.25" wow.

That was with Jake shooting
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Their 308's have been known to be problematic, and though being able to send it back may be justifiable to some. The amount of rifles that had to be sent back is not acceptable. You can get a lemon with any company. But the better comapanies are less likely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what qualifies you to bad mouth a site sponsor that goes the extra step to fix the problem in a rifle?....  Can you please post what arbitrary number of problems from a company that makes them not reputable... Regardless of them fixing and working on an issue...

Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:43:36 AM EDT
[#39]
It's a very solid gun. Where else can you get an AR-10 for around $600-$700? The only problem I ran into was the mentioned bolt catch issue where a grinder has to be taken to the catch's backside in order for the catch to pivot enough to work. That's annoying, but considering the price and lack of other issues the gun is worth it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:49:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:52:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Sounds like I'm going with a PTR91.
View Quote

Why...

Seriously buy what makes you happy ..... And post pics
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 4:19:24 AM EDT
[#43]
PSA has made it through the teething problems, and the PA-10 is  a pretty solid rifle now. Not a bad deal. I've played with a PTR-91, they're OK, but the only standout feature right now is cheap mags. FALs are a LOT nicer IMHO, but mag prices have gone up quite a bit. And yes, DSA's quality on the SA-58 has gone through the floor. All in all, the PA-10 is probably the better deal. NOTE: I own (2) PA-10, (2) FAL, and (1) PTR-91.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top