Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 9:40:29 AM EDT
I have some pictures and movies in my laptop that I will like to show using the TV screen.

Is there a way to hook up the laptop to the TV's Video and Sound inputs of the TV?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Video is simple, you should have an S-Video port on your laptop. Buy an s-video to RCA (just the yellow video one actually) converter (look online, its about $20 at Radio-Shack and $5 online).  You also need a 1/8" or headphone jack cable that turns into audio RCA. Also easily found online.

Then you go to display settings and set up dual moniter settings. Drag the movie program (like DivX) over to the dual moniter side. If you hooked it up right you should see your plain desktop on your tv screen.

Laptops have a switch screen mode thats was designed for doing presentations, it's most likely a function key (one of the blue labeled buttons). You might need to use this, but I think using that button it will either have just your display on the TV and not on the laptop, or both. Depends on the OS and PC I believe.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
My sony 57" has a memory stick reader, I can take pics from my sony Cybershot camera, whip out the stick from the camera to the tv and bingo!  Pics are on tv!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:55:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds great, Than you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Video is simple, you should have an S-Video port on your laptop.

What if the laptop does not have an S-Video port?  Anyway to use the VGA port?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:25:45 AM EDT
[#5]
You have to use a scan convertor, last one I bought was around 50 bucks if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Video is simple, you should have an S-Video port on your laptop. Buy an s-video to RCA (just the yellow video one actually) converter (look online, its about $20 at Radio-Shack and $5 online).  You also need a 1/8" or headphone jack cable that turns into audio RCA. Also easily found online.

Then you go to display settings and set up dual moniter settings. Drag the movie program (like DivX) over to the dual moniter side. If you hooked it up right you should see your plain desktop on your tv screen.

Laptops have a switch screen mode thats was designed for doing presentations, it's most likely a function key (one of the blue labeled buttons). You might need to use this, but I think using that button it will either have just your display on the TV and not on the laptop, or both. Depends on the OS and PC I believe.

Good luck.

My TV has a S-video port. I have to look at my laptop, if it does, can I just conect the 2 using a S-video cable?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have an s-video or composite out you just take a cable from the port to the tv.  Then there should be a button to hit to change where the video outputs to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top