User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll trade salaries with him.
View Quote

Hell, he can keep his salary which is much greater than mine, but I would trade "insider trading exception status" with the whinning ass cry baby any day.  He's status is immune from prosecution and I am not.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote taken out of context in order to induce rage on Arfcom!???!?!?!?!

NOOOO.... Say it isn't true.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always thought that the biggest problem with a representative form of gov. is that anyone can be a representative!
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quote taken out of context in order to induce rage on Arfcom!???!?!?!?!

NOOOO.... Say it isn't true.
View Quote

Context doesn't matter when you know how it will be used.

Its already been smeared all over Daily Cos,Huff Post etc what the Republican millionaire said.

Its shades of Romney's 47%.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Frankly the POS is overpaid.

Congressman, have you ever voted for a budget/continuing resolution that raided the Social Security trust fund to pay for general expenditures?  If yes, in my opinion, you should be tried for embezzlement and jailed.

What have you done to having a balanced budget and not adding trillions to our national debt?

Have you ever inserted pork barrel projects?

Have you done anything to end the Obamacare fiasco?

What did you do when Obama violated (apparently) the Obamacare law and delayed the employer mandate?

We can go on and on.

You should just resign and let a real American take over and fix the screw ups that you folks have allowed to happen.

Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#7]
As of today, there are about 316.7 million Americans and 435 congress members.

On the average, congress members are making decisions that affect 728,000 people.

I know we're supposed to scoff at everything .gov, but their salaries are ridiculously low for such responsibilities.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Nope, you just increase how much the bribe costs.

When you worship money or power it is never enough
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He does have a point.

For the importance of their position (not of them personally or of their work product), Congresscritters are very low paid.
They supplement it with freezers full of cash.  
Which is the problem.  

We don't pay top level .gov people enough.  It encourages corruption.

Exactly, just like the cops. Pay more and you'll get a better quality employee.

Nope, you just increase how much the bribe costs.

When you worship money or power it is never enough

Yet well paid US cops aren't generally corrupt.  Underpaid third world cops generally are corrupt.

Obviously, increasing their pay would not eliminate corruption.  But it would reduce it.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

On the average, congress members are making decisions that affect 728,000 people.

I know we're supposed to scoff at everything .gov, but their salaries are ridiculously low for such responsibilities.
View Quote

Wasting other people's money must be such a heavy burden. Firefighters have enormous responsibilities, yet they make next to nothing. Highly paid government officials sets a bad precedent; who wouldn't lie, cheat, and say whatever they can to stay on that gravy train?

They are public servants. They should be paid as such.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He does have a point.

For the importance of their position (not of them personally or of their work product), Congresscritters are very low paid.
View Quote

Originally the wages of a Congressman were the kind that you could starve on. Congress wasn't meant to be a cushy job with perks, powers, and riches. It was a part time job you held where you met in the sweet spot of the year when it wasn't too hot or too cold in the Capitol, no A/C, and when the short session was over you went back home to your real job where you actually made money or grew most of your own food.

Personally I think the wages of Congress are too high and that there are still far too many perks to act shitbirds who can make it in the real world.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"stuck here"?  How about GTFO.  Free up room for someone to do some good.
View Quote

Exactly.  

These wastes of oxygen shouldn't be paid anywhere near $175K/year, given how low their productivity is.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know.  Poor guy.  He ought to track down the bastard that put the gun to his head and forced him to run for that shitty piss ant position.

He deserves better.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd offer to trade jobs with him, but he'd just run my business into the ground.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

They need to be judged by their effectiveness which means that they owe us money.  Nevermind, they are overspending by at least a trillion dollars per year and who knows how much waste and destruction (welfare programs).

Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It was never supposed to be a vocation, it was supposed to be a duty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He does have a point.

This. It was intended to be "service" to your country, not self service. You were to put in a term representing your home district, serve, then and go back home. Not a life long career in selling votes to the highest bidder.

I think they should be paid the average wage of the workers in the districts they represent. No health care (they buy their own privately), no pension, no allowance. Don't like it, GTFO. Temp job at best is what it should be considered.

Link Posted: 9/19/2013 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got an idea, tie their pay to the average American wage, say an additional 20%. Perhaps we could get some people in there other than lawyers. Elected offices shouldn't be viewed as lifetime careers, it is supposed to be about public service. If the dirtbag congressman doesn't think he is making enough let him get a job. Does he think the congress couldn't get by without him.                     Damn, too slow the post above nails it well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
don't let to door we payed for hit you in the ass......  piece of shit
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He does have a point.

View Quote

Fuck him, he should do it for free.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've never thought that being a civil servant should warrant a huge salary.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He does have a point.

I've never thought that being a civil servant should warrant a huge salary.

Bingo! If your doing it for the money, go to the private sector.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
He's my rep.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Way to help that Republican stereotype, asshole.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#22]
If he feels underpaid for his job then he should just give his two weeks notice and quit.  I'm sure the private sector is waiting with open arms to offer him a job that has a great salary, car allowance, travel allowance, staff allowance, housing allowance, free medical/dental/vision/hearing/etc.

Screw the two week notice, he should just walk out now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Fine then.. He should quit so that someone who is focused on the job in front of them can get to work.

I can't help but wonder many others who hold public office waste our time daydreaming about some other job where they could be making more money?
In my opinion, salary shouldn't be a motive to perform as an elected official. Either you're committed to the task for the greater good, or you're acting out of self interests.

It's just another reason to impose term limits so that if they get complacent, there's an automatic out.
Personally, I'm all for a single term without any chance of return.

I think their salaries should be around $20,000-40,000 with a modest per diem and if they take a cent from anyone else for anything at all, GTFO. Time to bring someone new in.

A lottery would probably yield better candidates than most of what we have to put up with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Then he should quit and go find another job. Unfortunately no one is going to pay you more for being a useless fuck up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#25]

He's getting paid 172K; however, he knew that when he took the job.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#26]
he's correct, 172K is not a lot of money in DC

these guys give up a lot of salary to serve in .gov
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

he's correct, 172K is not a lot of money in DC

these guys give up a lot of salary to serve in .gov
View Quote
Nearly all of them are millionaires, before, during, and after their time in office.

Biden's net worth is somewhere around $250k last I checked, and he was considered one of the poor ones.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
He does have a point.

View Quote

They SHOULD be.  They are there to serve, not to be rich.  If they're becoming congressmen because of the money, they are NOT there to serve us.  Becoming a congressman should be an act of selflessness, nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#30]
If they would do their job, get rid of deficit spending and the FSA, I'd be glad to see them paid more.  Now they are overpaid by $172,000.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Wait... this guy is a physician?  WTF?

ETA:  Doctor...  didn't you learn ANYTHING from your medical career?  Like NEVER talking about how much money you make?  

Didn't your parents tell you to NEVER discuss that kind of thing?  

Did you not experience the constant annoyance of everyone thinking you got filthy rich from their reimbursement or copay?  Didn't you endure enough rude comments about "Hey doc... nice Mercedes... I payed for that!  You're welcome!" from wise-ass jealous patients?  

Don't you know that everybody hates a rich guy?  Haven't you observed the Marxist infiltration of our society?  Haven't you seen the 99%-vs-the-1% paradigm?  Did you completely miss the OCCUPY movement?

Good gravy...
View Quote
Having done a shit ton of consulting work for doctors in a previous life, I'm fairly confident when I posit that he's broke as shit, even with a $172,000 salary.

Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't complain with your mouth full.  You cocksucker.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:32:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:37:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Having done a shit ton of consulting work for doctors in a previous life, I'm fairly confident when I posit that he's broke as shit, even with a $172,000 salary.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait... this guy is a physician?  WTF?

ETA:  Doctor...  didn't you learn ANYTHING from your medical career?  Like NEVER talking about how much money you make?  

Didn't your parents tell you to NEVER discuss that kind of thing?  

Did you not experience the constant annoyance of everyone thinking you got filthy rich from their reimbursement or copay?  Didn't you endure enough rude comments about "Hey doc... nice Mercedes... I payed for that!  You're welcome!" from wise-ass jealous patients?  

Don't you know that everybody hates a rich guy?  Haven't you observed the Marxist infiltration of our society?  Haven't you seen the 99%-vs-the-1% paradigm?  Did you completely miss the OCCUPY movement?

Good gravy...

Well, his current job isn't being a doctor. It's being a congressman. I've known my share of affluent people and most seem to have a grip on the reality of their income. Those who want more, tend to work for it - not wish for it.

If someone is making a certain amount of money and doesn't have anything to left spend at the end of the day, they're living beyond their means.

If $172K isn't enough, maybe he needs to take the bus and move into an affordable apartment.
Perhaps it's time all of congress should be put up in a dormitory with a cafeteria then brought to work on busses.
The fucking self-importance and sense of entitlement is endemic in this nation. It's indefensibly parasitic and disgusting behavior.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I never will forget when Trent Lott was announcing that he was retiring from public office.  He told the reporter that its was time for him to go and make some real money.  First thing that popped in my head was "you mother fucker".
View Quote

I actually respect him for that level of honesty. The truth is most of the members of Congress got into politics because they never could make any real money or get anyone outside of that screwed up world to take them seriously or grant them any responsibility. Most of these guys have been playing politics for years and have few if any private sector experience that would warrant any respect in a room full of accomplished professionals.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I actually feel bad for politicians' public relations people sometimes.  You know they're always thinking "dammit he opened his mouth and said something stupid again!"
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#39]
He could still be an OB/GYN
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#40]
He neglected to include all his bribes-- err, I mean "campaign contributions".
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
He does have a point.

View Quote

Supreme Court justices take a dramatic pay cut to sit on the Court.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I actually feel bad for politicians' public relations people sometimes.  You know they're always thinking "dammit he opened his mouth and said something stupid again!"
View Quote

Most of the PR guys just think they are smarter than the POLS who employ them, the truth is if they were so smart they would be working in NYC, Chicago, or LA making the real money working in PR firms for Hollywood, or as an Advertizing  and Marketing Companies making serious money. Pulling the nuts of companies, executives, the rich and infamous is a really profitable and being the guy who works up an awarding wining Ad Campaign or the person who designed the Super Bowl commercial that has people talking for weeks is what helps get you your own firm or a partnership.

The guys who work for Congressmen are generally the bottom 1/3 of the class in Poli-Sci and shithead who have an overblown sense of self importance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He does have a point.

I've always felt that Representatives should be selected by their constituents, not by political parties.  Make it selective conscription, with term limits.  Once you return to your district, you don't become a lobbyist on K Street.  You go back to a real job, or try to recover your business.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They get kick backs upon kickbacks. Most are millionaires, plus they have the best retirement package in the country.

Cry me a river, if he doesn't like it he doesn't have to run for re-election and then he can go work on K St.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He does have a point.

They get kick backs upon kickbacks. Most are millionaires, plus they have the best retirement package in the country.

Cry me a river, if he doesn't like it he doesn't have to run for re-election and then he can go work on K St.

They also have passed unequal laws that allow them to profit insanely from insider trading, while sending Martha Stewart to Federal Prison.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#45]
this is why I think there should be term limits.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#46]
He makes plenty. Stop bitching about your salary, stop fucking up the country, and get back to fucking work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Show him the door at the next election.
View Quote

Gingrey missed 271 of 7,661 roll call votes from Jan 2003 to Mar 2013

Maybe they should dock his pay $1,000 every time he misses a Roll Call Vote, that goes for all in congress. I don't get paid when I don't go to work!

Also Why doesn't he quit and become a lobbyist if it's so great!
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd offer to trade jobs with him, but he'd just run my business into the ground.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2013 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Lot of nerve in this economy

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/report-phil-gingrey-gripes-172k-salary-97062.html

Staffers "may be 33 years old now and not making a lot of money. But in a few years they can just go to K Street…and make $500,000 a year. Meanwhile I’m stuck here making $172,000 a year,” Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) said on Wednesday, according to the National Review.

View Quote

They have no idea how close they are to this.

Link Posted: 9/19/2013 6:14:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Lot of nerve in this economy

View Quote

Staffers "may be 33 years old now and not making a lot of money. But in a few years they can just go to K Street…and make $500,000 a year. Meanwhile I’m stuck here making $172,000 a year,” Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) said on Wednesday, according to the National Review.

Stupid me , I thought people went into politics to help others

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top