Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 12:00:51 AM EDT
I think America has seen where their welfare dollars are being spent, and its not a pretty picture.........

Congress Seeks to Slash Food Aid for Poor, Conservation
Libby Quaid
Associated Press Writer
Oct 6, 2005
ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB4MA9PGEE.html
Past 7 days most viewed | Tribune archive from 1990
WASHINGTON (AP) - Democrats are fighting attempts to make cuts in food stamps and conservation programs at a time when people are coping with hurricanes and drought.

"Right now the difference between life and death for many Americans is the food stamp program," said Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont. "We should not, we cannot, cut the very nutritional programs that are literally saving lives."

A Republican plan to cut agriculture spending by $3 billion was scheduled for a vote Thursday in the Senate Agriculture Committee. But a spokesman for the panel's chairman, Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., said late Wednesday that the vote was being put off indefinitely. He didn't offer a reason.

The bill by Chambliss would cut food programs for the poor by $574 million and conservation programs and farm payments by more than $1 billion each.

Payments to farmers would fall by $1.145 billion over five years. Still, it is much less severe than what President Bush had proposed. He sought a 5 percent reduction in payments, plus a far-reaching plan for capping payments that would cut billions more dollars from subsidies collected by large farm operations.

Chambliss intended to propose aid for farmers battered by hurricanes and drought in the coming weeks, after damage is fully assessed, spokesman Keith Williams said Wednesday.

The budget-cutting plan faces opposition from Democrats and others.

"This proposal is an unconscionable slap in the face at America's poor," said Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin, the senior Democrat on the committee.

The $574 million cut in food stamps would come from restricting access to this benefit for certain families that, because they receive other government assistance, receive food stamps without going through the application process. The restriction would shut an estimated 300,000 people out of the program. Chambliss' spokesman said the change would apply to families that do not meet eligibility requirements and that eligible families still will receive food stamps.

Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., said he and Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, are pushing for Bush's payment limits, which would eliminate loopholes that let bigger growers collect unlimited payments.

Effective payment limits would cut spending enough to spare nutrition and conservation programs, said Chuck Hassebrook, director of the Lyons, Neb.-based Center for Rural Affairs.

"All they really meant was, 'We're not going to cut the big guys; we're going to cut family farms and conservation,'" he said.

Congress ordered the $3 billion in cuts in a budget outline passed this year.

At the time, leading Republicans indicated they would rather target food stamps and conservation programs than simply make the deep cuts that Bush was seeking. The administration backed off its plan to cap payments in April after strong opposition from farmers. Cotton and rice growers would bear the brunt of payment limits.

Chambliss wants the cuts in farmers' payments to be distributed evenly among all commodities, his spokesman said.

Also under fire were $1.05 billion in conservation cuts that would trim programs that pay farmers to stop farming certain land or to change their practices to help the environment.

"Subsidies get $20 billion a year. Conservation gets less than $4 billion - to expect farmers who want to help the environment to shoulder as heavy a load as fat-cat cotton producers is terrible policy," said Scott Faber, spokesman for the Washington-based Environmental Defense.

The cuts in payments are not enough to aid U.S. negotiators in global trade talks being held by the World Trade Organization, said Ken Cook, president of Environmental Working Group. Developing countries are insisting that wealthy nations cut subsidies in exchange for access to their markets.

"It is a slap in the face to the poorest countries in the world," Cook said.

The 2.5 percent payment cuts would affect all payments and marketing loan gains for producers of corn, wheat, rice, soybeans, cotton and other subsidized crops as well as dairy.

The plan would extend a federal dairy price-support program, the Milk Income Loss Contract program, but reduce the amount of money dairy farmers would receive from it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Will this affect the welfare crowd that gets to live better then me.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
God forbid that people actually go out and geta job to support/fill their belly
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:14:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I don't know, maybe a few of them

It is strange to me that they are\were giving welfare to people that DON'T QUALIFY

I would have thought that something like that would bring jail terms............naaaaaa
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There are a whole bunch of them that use multiple accounts and still have to have
the cashier ring them up for separate transactions......one without the beer and cigarrettes\one with
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Cut their check they will riot, hell probaly will riot if its a day late.

So why do people on welfare go buy steaks after they just ate at Reb Lobster?

To make sure the steaks dont get old and have someone mark them down, if they did that someone who works might could  afford them.

Say the word work to someone on welfare 49% wont know what your talking about and 49% will be scared they might have to do some.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I hope so
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:37:27 AM EDT
[#7]
If I had the choice between getting on welfare and winning the lottery Id take welfare.

Lottery you can blow or lose all that money.

Welfare you always got another check coming
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#8]
You know I'm tired of paying for my groceries.   I'm pretty sure I'm ineligible for foodstamps.   How do I not apply and get it?   I'm all for living on somebody else's dime for a change.   This whole going to work and being self supporting thing sux.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top