Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2007 3:30:28 AM EDT
This story has sparked a huge debate about illegals in NJ.  Do a search for this and check iit out, theres all kinds of extreme opinions out there.

link to ABC vid

Gardener's Mauling By Dog Ignites N.J. Immigration Debate

POSTED: 7:02 pm EST November 28, 2007
UPDATED: 7:42 pm EST November 28, 2007
PRINCETON, N.J. -- A dog scheduled to be put down after mauling a gardener from Honduras has ignited a debate over immigration and dog owners' rights in this university town.

The gardener, Giovanni Rivera, was attacked in June by a German shepherd named Congo and four other dogs at a Princeton home where he did landscaping. Charges were filed against the family who owned the dogs, and Rivera received an insurance settlement of $250,000.

But it's a judge's decision that the dog must be put down that has drawn criticism from some animal lovers and the dog's owners, who say Congo was protecting their property and family.

"It's just insanity what we're going through," Guy James said, sitting in his Princeton home with his wife, Elizabeth, as Congo and another German shepherd sat nearby. The James said the judge's decision to put Congo down has been "horrendous" for the couple and their four young children.

James contends the men showed up early when the dogs were eating, and disregarded his calls for them to stay in their vehicle. He said Congo attacked Rivera after the panicked gardener grabbed his wife from behind and pulled her down, causing her to scream.

Rivera's lawyer, Kevin S. Riechelson, said his client, who is still in New Jersey, did not want to speak about the incident because he was scared after the public outcry over the decision to put the dog down. But Riechelson and Kim Otis, the prosecutor who handled the case, described the attack as unprovoked, saying Rivera never pulled Elizabeth James down to the ground.

In addition, Riechelson said the men were told by their temp agency to show up for work early that day.

Rivera, who was hospitalized for five days, sustained "hundreds and hundreds of cuts," including a deep gash in his right thigh, according to Otis.

"They basically bit and clawed him for about three minutes," Riechelson said.

Public debate over the incident has even reached the office of Gov. Jon S. Corzine, who said last week that while he sympathizes with the dog, he's leaving the animal's fate up to the courts.

The governor's office has received more telephone calls, e-mails, letters and faxes about Congo than about any other issue since the governor took office. Almost everyone has demanded Congo be freed, a governor's spokesman said.

Much of the public discussion has centered on Rivera's immigration status. Neither Riechelson, the James family, their lawyer, or the prosecutor said they know whether Rivera is here legally, nor do they care, saying that it wasn't relevant to the case.

Otis described some of the comments directed at Rivera as "very disturbing" and questioned whether public opinion would be different if the victim had been a child or a non-immigrant.

That thought was echoed by some Hispanic immigrants in Princeton.

"Maybe they would have killed the dog already," said Oscar, a Guatemalan immigrant who didn't want to give his full name because he's in the country illegally. "This country values Americans."

The James' have appealed the judge's ruling that the dog be put down. Until the appeal is heard, Congo is permitted to stay with his family with some restrictions such as wearing a muzzle while he's outdoors.

James said he's rejected a plea deal that would allow Congo to escape euthanasia, provided the pet be labeled "potentially dangerous." He said his dog is not dangerous, and admitting so would be wrong.

The other dogs, who were not ordered to be put down, were deemed to have joined in the attack after Congo.

The public outcry over Congo harkens back to the case of Taro, an Akita that was sentenced to die for allegedly biting the lip of a 10-year-old girl in 1990. Taro's death sentence was eventually lifted by former Gov. Christie Whitman when she took office in 1994.

After the Congo incident, Democratic Assemblyman Neil Cohen from Union County proposed legislation that would make it more difficult to label a dog vicious and have it put down.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Alright I added a poll.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:20:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:21:22 AM EDT
[#3]

"Maybe they would have killed the dog already," said Oscar, a Guatemalan immigrant who didn't want to give his full name because he's in the country illegally. "This country values Americans."

Wow....... Ya think!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Put the gardener down and give the mutt the quarter mil......
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Just biting the illegals that Americans don't want to bite?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Put the gardener down and give the mutt the quarter mil......

+1
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#7]

And Mexico values Mexicans. Guatemala values Guatemalans.  What's Oscar's point?

You know what? Fuck Oscar. If he doesn't like the fact that America values Americans, how about if he just takes his sorry illegal ass back to sunny, idyllic Guatemala?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:44:51 AM EDT
[#8]

YEah no shit dumbass!
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't go sicing your dogs on the hired help.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:48:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This story has sparked a huge debate about illegals in NJ.  Do a search for this and check iit out, theres all kinds of extreme opinions out there.

link to ABC vid

James contends the men showed up early when the dogs were eating, and disregarded his calls for them to stay in their vehicle. He said Congo attacked Rivera after the panicked gardener grabbed his wife from behind and pulled her down, causing her to scream.

The gardner had permission to come on to the property during the designated time scheduled to do the job -- not 'early'.  Same as if I call a repairman to work on something at a certain time, that's not giving him permission to let himself in during the middle of the night.

Disregarded instructions to get back in their vehicles?
I reckon the homeowner had the audacity to do it English.

The gardner grabbed the lady of the house and pulled her down.

The dog was just doing the right thing.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I personally do not feel that non-legal residents are entitled to representation in our courts.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I personally do not feel that non-legal residents are entitled to representation in our courts.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I agree, they should not only arrest this guy but also deport him.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, they should not only arrest this guy but also deport what's left of him.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:58:37 AM EDT
[#15]
1) Deport the illegals.

2) Fine the temp agency for hiring the illegals.

3) Give the dog a steak; he did his job.

I noted in the article that the family has the dog at home.  If it were mine I'd do a late-night relocation of the dog to a trusted friend or relative in another state.  Just saying...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:00:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I've been chased by my neighbors' asshole mutts, never been chased by a gardener who snuck into the country.

Were you on your neighbor's property at the time against their wishes?

Did you throw the female owner to the ground in front of the dogs?

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Don't go sicing your dogs on the hired help.

I think you need to re read the story.  The alien had been told to stay in the truck, he didn't.  Then they antagonized the younger dogs with rakes.  Then he ran at the owner and knocked her to the ground.  Although the alien didn't mean the owner harm the dog only works on the facts.  "That guy knocked my owner down, I must stop him."  Thats how dogs work.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

Or anything else we enjoy as legal citizens.

Let them go back to their third world shitholes, and they can take their communicable diseases, anchor babies, rapists, burglars, child molesters, dope dealers, dope users, drunk drivers and other assorted scum with them.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:13:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

link to ABC vid

The gardner had permission to come on to the property during the designated time scheduled to do the job -- not 'early'.  Same as if I call a repairman to work on something at a certain time, that's not giving him permission to let himself in during the middle of the night.

The gardener who grabbed the lady of the house was guilty of assault on her, at no time did he have any reason or authorization to assault her.

Throw the illegal, assaulting, criminal, gardener out of the country, appeal the 250k settlement, and throw his ass out of the country.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:15:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Alright I added a poll.

I wonder how ARFcom would vote if Congo was a pit bull?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#22]
The same, pit bulls are just another breed of dog, I make no distinction.

All dogs have teeth, and are capable of really hurting someone.

Chihuahua's are some of the worst offenders, yet people do not seem to care.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#24]
You have to provide a safe workplace for your employees. to include your border jumping gardner.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

link to ABC vid

The gardener who grabbed the lady of the house was guilty of assault on her, at no time did he have any reason or authorization to assault her.

Throw the illegal, assaulting, criminal, gardener out of the country, appeal the 250k settlement, and throw his ass out of the country.

thats all I needed to hear,you grab me or a member of my pack, and pack loyalties take over.

your dog will throw down his life for you, should he need a lawyer before acting?

you establish the ROE's with your dog's basic training, when some strange grabs me or another one in the pack..dog will react on survival instinct.
did the dog know he wasnt going to kill the woman?, or was the dog acting reasonably?

as a good dog will do?

you know where I stand.

back to mex, salivador, or wherever..no dinero for you.

get that dog a T-bone
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

I agree
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Exactly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 5:55:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The same, pit bulls are just another breed of dog, I make no distinction.

All dogs have teeth, and are capable of really hurting someone.

Chihuahua's are some of the worst offenders, yet people do not seem to care.

Agreed, little dogs are more likely to bite but they don't do the harm Pit or Shepard does.  Thats why I have GSDs instead of Chihuahuas and I carry a .45 instead of a .22.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#29]
They are talking to the owners on Fox right now.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:48:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly.

Agreed.  

If the guy did actually disobey requests to stay in his vehicle, and then grabbed the woman, then the dog did exactly what it was supposed to do.  No way in hell I would allow my dog to be put down.  Not going to happen.  If I have to find another place for it to say, so be it, but it's not going to get put down.

And fuck the illegal immigrant, and the temp agency that hired him.

-K
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
They are talking to the owners on Fox right now.

We have FOX news on at work (gotta love working for a conservative boss).  Poll of coworkers: 7 of 7 believe the dog should get a pat on the head and a steak, and the illegal sent packing.

ETA: if the illegal guy grabbed the woman and dragger her down shouldn't he be charged with assault?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:01:54 AM EDT
[#32]
After that illegal alien pulled his wife to the ground and the dogs had their turn, the husband should have finished the bastard off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top