Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2006 3:07:33 PM EST
I am currently going to school to get my Associates Degree in Criminal Justice. A few months ago I was thinking of turning my AR-15 into a SBR, so I talked to one of my teachers, who also happeneds to be the Chief of Police here in Charleston. While talking to him about signing off on my papers I realized that he wasn't going to sign off on my Form 1 now or ever.

Fast forward to today: I arrived early to class and started talking to my teacher. He tells me that if I SBR my rifle "no police department will ever hire you, because police don't want to hire gun nuts." His comment kind of caught me off guard and I politely listened and avoided a potentially heated discussion. Later on I asked him his feelings on applicants who possess a Conceald Weapons Permit, to which he said "I don't like to hire people who have a CWP, and unless it is an extenuating circumstance, will not hire them."

Is this guy just a total dick or do his comments hold any validity?

BTW, I am not planning on working for a PD in SC, I plan to move back to Oregon where wages are better and at least in Salem, an armed citized is not looked at as a "gun nut"
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:46:37 PM EST
He's a dick. Learn Spanish and come back to Salem- it's a great place to work.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:56:04 PM EST

Originally Posted By Sparky315:
He's a dick. Learn Spanish and come back to Salem- it's a great place to work.

Do you work in Salem?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:58:20 PM EST
Not all chiefs are like that, he's just a liberal idiot.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:01:37 PM EST
An anti-gun chief of police? Say it isn't so. Does this chief even want his officers carrying while off-duty? He's an idiot. I wouldn't want to work with such an anti-gun moron. Good luck with your move.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:07:13 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:12:11 PM EST
Is your teacher N. Hethington? If so don't mind him. Go see Sheriff Cannon. Leave your paperwork and a photocopy of your DL with your SSN on it. Turnaround for both my forms was less than two days. How would the dept even know you had an SBR? I have an SBR and a supressor and Ned still pays me every two weeks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:13:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By BuellRider:
Is your teacher N. Hethington? If so don't mind him. Go see Sheriff Cannon. Leave your paperwork and a photocopy of your DL with your SSN on it. Turnaround for both my forms was less than two days. How would the dept even know you had an SBR? I have an SBR and a supressor and Ned still pays me every two weeks.

Wow...yes it is Ned....I didn't know what to think, I mean, I know he's old school and all but his comments really surprised me
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:18:27 PM EST
Nothing should suprise you coming from that administration. Look at the officers, they carry only a handgun and a stick. No tazer, no OC, and only a select few have shotguns. No rifles, no nothing. So what interesting things does he teach you in class?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:20:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By BuellRider:
Nothing should suprise you coming from that administration. Look at the officers, they carry only a handgun and a stick. No tazer, no OC, and only a select few have shotguns. No rifles, no nothing. So what interesting things does he teach you in class?

Nothing really, everything is pretty much by the book. The most interesting thing that we have done is that he brought in the video of the guys down here with the money, drugs and guns....but its a VERY easy class
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:24:15 PM EST

Originally Posted By Striker:
The Chief would fit right in with the brass at Toronto Police Services.

Or just about any Brass at any of the Police services I have met....
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:26:23 PM EST
Just curious here:

I often hear about how CLEO's will not sign off oSBR's. So many go the incorporation route. So what are the major objections of these CLEO's for refusal to sign off for a law abiding citizen of the US?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:11:25 PM EST
Come to Montana.
The CLEOs gladly sign off on such things. Most of the Class III guys I know are cops.
You get a little bit of a grill when they do your background just to see why you have one. The CLEOs also encourage people to get CCWs so if you answer the question in any way that makes it clear you aren't a super paranoid individual you are golden (prepared and paranoid are two different things).
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:02:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By Recon_by_Fire:
Just curious here:

I often hear about how CLEO's will not sign off oSBR's. So many go the incorporation route. So what are the major objections of these CLEO's for refusal to sign off for a law abiding citizen of the US?

The CLEOs that will not sign off are simply left wing, liberal gun haters...OR are pussies who are afraid they will lose their jobs when the left wing, liberal gun haters find out.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:10:52 PM EST

Just curious here:

I fail to see why a SBR is soooo much more deadly than a normal rifle. Infact in reality it is less deadly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 1:48:00 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 1:48:18 PM EST by madmedic]

Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

Just curious here:

I fail to see why a SBR is soooo much more deadly than a normal rifle. Infact in reality it is less deadly.

Why...for the same reason a 3 inch switch blade is more deadly than a 14 inch "Rambo" knife.
Its SCARY
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:12:20 PM EST
One of the rookies from the last academy has at least three SBR's, a SBS, a full-auto Mac 9mm, and two silencers that I saw. One boring day when he was riding with me, we dropped by my house to get something eat, and of course, I had to crack open the gun safe and show off (no Class 3) my admittedly meager, but still larger than most rookies', gun collection. He smiles, and says, "that's nothing, let's go by place". Hooooooooly moly. His wife, while not horribly attractive and actually rather snooty to me, makes $100K a year, and apparently a good part of that ends up at local gun stores.
Top Top