Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 5:09:31 PM EST
I've never seen a single episode of any of the following presumably popular TV series, both past and present:

Friends
Seinfeld
Melrose Place
Sex and the City
Queer Eye...
Home Improvement

Never even saw an episode of Dallas, so many years ago!

And many other popular shows.

In truth, there's very little TV that I do want to watch. And most of the shows I do want to watch are all animated. Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, Ren and Stimpy, etc. The common thread is that they all have an edge to them. Social commentary of some sort, or just a high gross-out factor.

There's not a lot worth watching....and that's really scary considering how many channels my local cable system is carrying now!

Despite that, I've invested a lot of time and effort in a truly serious home theater and music system. The ten foot diagonal, line doubled and utterly beautiful picture, delivered by a projector that retailed for $30K when new, sort of gives you the impression that picture quality is important to me. But almost everything I watch is on DVD or some other pre-recorded source. (Laserdisc, mostly, as I've been into movies since long before DVD was even an idea.)

So who else thinks the TV is mostly worthless?

CJ
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:13:25 PM EST
I mostly watch scifi and history channel when I watch TV. I got home last night from a tough real estate deal at about 8:15, in time to watch the last friends with my wife, a show that I seldom watch with her, but that I remembered as being pretty dumb the few times I saw it. It was worse than that. It was so stupid in both plot and jokes that I felt dumber just watching it. It was a very long show.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:14:36 PM EST
The Missus has been pretty well hooked on Friends for the last ten years, just glad that "How you doin", "batta bing", "smelly cat", crap is over!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:17:33 PM EST
Don't watch the Sopranos, do you.

Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang.

Originally Posted By P806:
The Missus has been pretty well hooked on Friends for the last ten years, just glad that "How you doin", "batta bing", "smelly cat", crap is over!

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:18:47 PM EST
I am proud to say that I have never watched a single episode of Survivor.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:20:44 PM EST
sopranos is cool, never saw Friends, Fear Factor, survivor, or Oprah.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:20:47 PM EST
I watch "24" and "OC".
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:21:33 PM EST
i like tv...

but then i AM easily amused....

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:23:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By diabolical_chicken:
i like tv...

but then i AM easily amused....

I can vouch for the fact that she is easily amused.

I don't like much TV. I like the History Channel, it's pretty entertaining.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:26:22 PM EST
Tv is pretty worthless anymore. The programing is so "Dumbed Down" so that it can be understood by the average low IQ numbskull out there. People keep getting more and more stupid everyday. I never watched an episode of Friends more than 5 minutes into it. It was so stupid it made me mad for wasting my time watching it. I'm looking to gain intelligence from what I watch. That's why I watch mostly the History Channel, Discovery, and the Food Network.

I used to enjoy TLC back when they had good shows on. Now all they have are those stupid "While You Were Out" shows where some idiots remodel your house while you're gone and it ends up looking a hell of a lot worse than what they began with.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:30:28 PM EST
Have to agree that modern televsion for the most part offers mindless (or mind numbing) programming. It's not worth the effort to switch it on and the best thing about TV is hooking it up to a DVD or VCR.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:31:53 PM EST
That's nothing. The only shows I watch are Home Improvement and Simpsons, and I don't have a TV so I only watch the shows between classes. I probably watch 2 hours a week if that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:49:08 PM EST
I am in the same boat as you except I have see some of the home improvement episodes. I've never bothered to watch any of the others.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:59:28 PM EST
I've never watched any reality show, and I never will
also, no straight male will ever watch queer eye, and if they do they aren't really straight
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:09:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By CAPITALIST:
Tv is pretty worthless anymore. The programing is so "Dumbed Down" so that it can be understood by the average low IQ numbskull out there. People keep getting more and more stupid everyday. I never watched an episode of Friends more than 5 minutes into it. It was so stupid it made me mad for wasting my time watching it. I'm looking to gain intelligence from what I watch. That's why I watch mostly the History Channel, Discovery, and the Food Network.

I used to enjoy TLC back when they had good shows on. Now all they have are those stupid "While You Were Out" shows where some idiots remodel your house while you're gone and it ends up looking a hell of a lot worse than what they began with.

Damn! You hit the nail on the head with that one! I never watched a full episode of Friends. That show bores me to tears with its utter stupidity.

I also used to enjoy TLC, but they absolutely shit canned that entire network now. It's almost a complete 24/7 marathon of "While You Were Out" and other stupid remodeling shows. I even used to like some of the older remodeling shows that they had, but the new ones are all for the yuppy crowd and just plain idiotic! What ever happened to all the Junkyards Wars and other more techy stuff they would show on there? It makes me so mad. I used to watch TLC all the time, but I haven't watched it in a long time now.

Just to further prove the stupidity of TV nowdays show like "Arrested Development" hardly get anyone watching them. That show is pure comic genious, but it's almost about to be canned by Fox for lack of viewers (I suppose the fact that they keep on changing its timeslot during the week doesn't help either).

And if TV isn't bad enough the cable companies want to charge you up the ass for basic cable. Oh, but it includes 70 channels! Yeah...65 channels of shit and 5 that are worth watching once in a while. That's why when I move into my first house at the end of this month I'm not getting cable. No need. Network TV is more than I'll ever watch.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:10:00 PM EST
I watch everything...

My favs:

Just about everything on the History Channel
I've seen every Survivor series.
I've seen every Amazing Race.
MASH
Friends
Seinfeld
MTV's Real World - Every one for the last 11 years
CSI - Miami & Las Vegas
Southpark, Simpsons, Futurama
Will & Grace
The Restaurant
The Apprentice
Scrubs
Fraiser
Every freaking Star Trek Series, Past & Present

And alot more that I can't remember right now...
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:17:11 PM EST
I tried to watch "Friends" but I found it boring, asinine, and not very funny. I've never seen a whole episode, I dont know the characters' names, but I know the actors'.

If you've never seen Seinfeld, you're really missing out. I think it's probably the funniest sit com ever made. Most shitcoms are completely worthless.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:39:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By sharky30:
I've never watched any reality show, and I never will
also, no straight male will ever watch queer eye, and if they do they aren't really straight

OI! I watch queer eye all the time and im as straight as a bloody straight arrow!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:48:54 PM EST
I havent really watched much in the last 4 years. Only thing in the last 2 I have watched was stuff on at someone elses house and thats basciyl Scifi and MXC.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:48:55 PM EST
I havent really watched much in the last 4 years. Only thing in the last 2 I have watched was stuff on at someone elses house and thats basciyl Scifi and MXC.
Top Top