Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/12/2006 7:07:42 AM EDT
Yeah, they're anti gun, but it's a great way to unload your fine junque...

Here's how I do it....

I have a spare bedroom and from my travels around the house I start an Ebay pile, stuff that'll ultimately be auctioned off on eBay

The yardstick is for when I take pictures of something and it'll be useful to include the yardstick in the pic of the item to show it's size. I don't think my cat will get much being auctioned off on eBay though

in same spare bedroom I have an electronic scale used to weigh stuff to determine shipping costs

Secret to ebaying is to package your item before weighing it. I put up a bunch of stuff up this weekend, here's the staging area for stuff that's currently being auctioned. If no one bids on them the stuff will back to the Ebay pile

Sometimes boxes dont quit make it to the Ebay pile room, but they'll get there eventually. You can never have enough boxes!

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:11:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:11:28 AM EDT
Do you do this as a hobby or professionally.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:15:31 AM EDT
Another way to scam extra cash is to charge "extra" for shipping to Alaska or Hawaii and then send it Priority Mail. Oh it's a classic, I use it all the time when sending stuff to the lesser 48.

~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:16:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By doorgunner84:
Another way to scam extra cash is to charge "extra" for shipping to Alaska or Hawaii and then send it Priority Mail. Oh it's a classic, I use it all the time when sending stuff to the lesser 48.

~Dg84

*scribbles notes*
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:17:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By u352:
What are the empty shot bags for?

For nothing anymore, used to hold shot, I reload 12 gauge skeet/trap loads, got a boatload of empty bags, people buy 'em on EGay! Need some?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:18:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Do you do this as a hobby or professionally.

hobby, mainly as a decluttering excercise and to generate a bit of money. It rained all day yesterday so basically stuck in the house figured I'd make a dent in the eBay pile
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:26:35 AM EDT
ok,,
i fess up too..
I do the same thing,,
days off consist of hitting a few gunstore, digging thru the junk boxes, they all have atleast one..
holsters, grips, odd mags, and gun boxes,,original,,get them for around 15 each usueally, good for as fast 25-30 resale,,
nice way to double up some cash,,
good will, salvation army, thrift stores,,gun shows,,,well used to at gunshows,,everything is a collectors item there anymore...lol
knives,
big ass knives,,move quick,
had one i picked up at a flea market,,2.00
sold it for 100.00!!!!just no paki trash and they will move.

one mans trash etc.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:50:45 AM EDT
Ahhh...ebay, a necessary evil in todays world.

Oh yes boxes, boxes, boxes. You must have boxes!
And it's most beneficial to score your boxes for free.

It's also a good idea to have the proper box prior to
listing/selling an item. I once sold a Rusty Wallace
Miller Lite Nascar hood...ever try finding a box for
shipping a car hood?

Many moons ago, before they initiated their anti-gun
policy and policing, I made some very good purchases
on blackrifle accessories. I've got a nice collection of
both 20 and 30 rnd. Colt 9mm mags for the AR15, and
some pretty unique mag-well blocks as well.

The deadbeat bidders, and stupid questions from users
with no intent to buy...are somewhat of a hassle.
However, those postal money orders and checks arriving in
the mail make it worth the effort.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:53:14 AM EDT
Nice NRA watch.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:06:15 AM EDT
We have the same color carpet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:07:40 AM EDT
How much for the cat?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:11:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 8:11:44 AM EDT by legonas]
im still shipping stuff with a couple cases of USPS priority boxes i found when turning an apartment. talk about a score. ive found alot of crap people leave behind, but the best find is STILL the boxes! there the old style square ones that eventually became the slightly smaller "flat rate" boxes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:46:23 AM EDT
Amatuers
You can get boxes for FREE from the post office.
go online and order them in groups of 25 and they come to your door
FREE
you can't get real big boxes, those you have to "roam" for, but for normal things, they have plenty.
HTH
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:51:26 AM EDT
I was a "Powerseller" until yestrday...

Gotta find some more stuff to sell.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:51:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BozemanMT:
Amatuers
FREE

Here is the link:
shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/productCategory.jsp?prodCat=/Shipping+Supplies/Priority+Mail
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:58:29 AM EDT
I have purchased approx $15K worth of firearms in the past 12-24 months w/ the profits from my Ebay biz

Seems that the ARF.com consensus is to hate / avoid Ebay. Best way is to beat them @ their own game and list items / sell them OUTSIDE of Ebay ( avoid the spendy fees ) convert your profit into

That's how you say to Ebay.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:59:27 AM EDT
Tag

Time for some spring cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:01:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 9:02:25 AM EDT by RIA45ACP]
You can get boxes for free from USPS.com. I throw away all the boxes I get stuff in, as im to lazy to remove or cover up the labels on the old ones, that and by the time you remove/cover up the old label the box looks tacky I hate that for some reason. ETA: beat by 10 minutes lol I need to start reading all of the thread before I post.

I go through bins at gun shows, grips, magazines, anything thats cheap I buy and resell. My best score yet was forends for TC Contender barrels, I paid 70 dollars for 12 of them, kept the 3 that I needed and sold the rest for 400 dollars. Ebay funds all of my gun related purchases.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:07:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By StrkAliteN:
I have purchased approx $15K worth of firearms in the past 12-24 months w/ the profits from my Ebay biz

Seems that the ARF.com consensus is to hate / avoid Ebay. Best way is to beat them @ their own game and list items / sell them OUTSIDE of Ebay ( avoid the spendy fees ) convert your profit into

Care to share?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:12:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Q3131A:

Care to share?

loose lips sink ships ( no offense )
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:20:29 AM EDT

Amatuers
FREE
you can't get real big boxes, those you have to "roam" for, but for normal things, they have plenty.
HTH

I got free priority mail boxes shipped to my door like you described, but for small piddly stuff 13 oz's and under it pays to have your own scrounged boxes, you can ship stuff for $2ish vs $4.05 minimum for Priority Mail, a competitive advantage when selling stuff online
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:28:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 9:31:04 AM EDT by terdferguson]
I use Ebay regularly for house/garage clearing excecises. My greatest hits have been my CD collection (now on my hard drive). 300 CD's went for $1100. M DVD collection (not the must haves watch over and over DVD's(Goodfellas, Scarface, etc.), but the ones you buy and only watch once). 100 or so DVD's went for over a grand. Mitsubishi RALLIART jacket from Japan that I paid $80 for sold for $400. I just sold my father-in-law's DVD collection for him on Ebay netting him about a grand of clear profit. I love Ebay. I've made some pretty worthwhile purchases there too. Yeah, their gun policy sucks, but generally speaking, most corporations' does too.

My setup is pretty much the same as AssaultRifler's. Unlike a lot of folks though, I don't go out and buy stuff to re-sell on Ebay. I use it mostly to get rid of my own junk. More power to the money makers and scroungers though. I just don't have the patience. God forbid the day the IRS somehow links up Ebay usernames with Social Security Numbers. We'll all owe a metric shit ton in back taxes for income earned through Ebay.

***ETA***
I don't have a scale like some of you guys. I've shipped enough stuff now that I can pretty much guess within a couple of dollars how much the shipping will be. For those taking notes, it's easy to increase your profits in the shipping and handling charges.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:31:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By terdferguson:
God forbid the day the IRS somehow links up Ebay usernames with Social Security Numbers. We'll all owe a metric shit ton in back taxes for income earned through Ebay.

I wouldn't worry about the taxes if you're selling your own stuff, you almost never sell something used for what your originally paid for it. Take a run of the mill DVD you bought at Walmart for$17, watched once, sold on eBay for $6. That's and $11 loss. IRS is looking for unreported income not unreported losses.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:42:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shop_rat45:
Nice NRA watch.

It's a great watch, but it needs about $8 worth of new watch batteries and CDNN sells or sold the watches for about $10 or gave them out for free. For now it's in purgatory, not up for auction yet, probably wont sell it, but anything electronic with a dead battery usually means the battery will leak after a while and damange the whole thing. Lost some little used remote controls that way and some radios. Still working on Pontiac G6's?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:02:27 AM EDT

Care to share?

loose lips sink ships ( no offense )

Everyone has their secrets where to score merchandise for ebay.....i'm always portective where my stuff comes from
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:54:37 AM EDT
I am about to do the same thing. We got a pile of crap we dont want anymore. So I am going to buy a scale and start to auction stuff off in my spare time.

Where did you get your scale?

BTW - all you ebay haters. How many of you ever used Monster.com? While ebay doesnt list guns (which I think is more for legal reasons) the CEO of Monster.com give MILLIONS to the anti-gunners.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:03:53 AM EDT
Non Share-ers!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:35:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mister44:

Where did you get your scale?

from ebay from seller digitalsnail. great scale, goes up to 35 lbs, accurate to 1/10th of an ounce, has hold are tare function, kicks butt
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:46:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:

Originally Posted By shop_rat45:
Nice NRA watch.

It's a great watch, but it needs about $8 worth of new watch batteries and CDNN sells or sold the watches for about $10 or gave them out for free. For now it's in purgatory, not up for auction yet, probably wont sell it, but anything electronic with a dead battery usually means the battery will leak after a while and damange the whole thing. Lost some little used remote controls that way and some radios. Still working on Pontiac G6's?

Yep. G6's are my day job (or night depending on the week. ) and I do signs, stickers, shirts, etc.. in the free time. I was just giving you are hard time about the watch. Sell away!!

Kris
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:07:38 PM EDT
My wife hits the public library book sales and buys books dirt cheap since they don't give a shit about wasting taxpayer money. Its about $5 for a whole box of books if you go on the last day.
Then she sells them on ebay. Home schooling is booming since public screwls suck, and books are big sellers. There, the cat is out of the bag now!

Speaking of shipping charge rip-offs, Armalite had my one lowly magazine that I ordered from them, on back order for about 2 months. Then when they got it in they priority shipped it to me for $9 and billed my credit card!!!! Like after 2 months another day mattered.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:35:54 PM EDT
I have used Ebay to clean my garage and yard. Had a bunch of large old car parts, engines and an old not running air compressor. Listed the suff for a $1 each, must pick up.

Instead of paying $20 in dump fees I made $10.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:45:08 PM EDT
I used to sell alot on ebay have not done much lately
sister and mom move probably 10 items a day in their spare time
they are finally selling off 30 years worth of shit they got at the goodwill , garges sales etc
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:46:47 PM EDT

Amatuers
FREE

Here is the link:
shop.usps.com/cgi-bin/vsbv/postal_store_non_ssl/display_products/productCategory.jsp?prodCat=/Shipping+Supplies/Priority+Mail

Another link if you want the eBay logo on the boxes

ebaysupplies.usps.com/

Another tip, they used to have it on their free Priority Mail supply listings, but I dont see it now, but ask for your free Priorty Mail packing tape. Free tape rules.
Top Top