Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2001 3:17:13 PM EDT
Some of you may recall my e-mail last summer concerning George W. Bush's National Security Advisor Condoleeza Rice and her up-front support of the individual right to keep and bear arms.

At that time I quoted George Will's column dated August 2000, just three months before the presidential election.

IN A PLEASANTLY meandering conversation over lunch in San Francisco last summer, Condoleezza
Rice, then still provost of Stanford but already unofficially what she now is officially, George W. Bush's senior foreign policy adviser, was asked her thoughts about gun control. "I am," she answered crisply, "a Second Amendment absolutist." Growing up in Birmingham, Ala., in the early 1960s, when racial tensions rose, there were, she said, occasions when the black community had to exercise its right to bear
arms in self-defense, becoming, if you will, a well-regulated militia.

To put this in proper time-frame, Rice was born in November of 1954 and did not attend an integrated school until she moved to Colorado a decade later. You can read the full article at:

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will080700.asp

It appears that nine months in Washington D.C. has not capped Condi's enthusiasm one little bit. In the current (September 2001) issue of Biography magazine, Condi sheds a few more details into what shaped her respect for the tools needed for proper self defense.

The article is not on the Biography web site http://www.biography.com/magazine/index.html so I will type it in by hand. There is a photo of Condi there, however.

In a Birmingham drenched with racial ugliness, another aunt, Genoa McPhatter, remembers Mrs. Rice (Condi's mother) facing down a clerk who tried to bar Condoleezza from a fitting room. And when a bomb rocked a neighborhood church on a terrible Sunday in 1963, Condoleeza knew one of the four children killed.

"My father and the men in the community protected the community by going out there armed so that night riders didn't come through," said, Rice, who became a staunch gun defender. "I can guarantee you if their guns had been registered, Bull Conner would have gathered up everyone of them."

My guess is that "Bull Conner" was a not-so-nice Birmingham public official.

The church bombing mentioned above appears to be the same one in which one person was recently
convicted this year, making this interview even more topical.

Feel free to share this with others.

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#1]
This woman can eat crackers in my bed anytime. [no pun intended]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top