Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2010 1:09:48 PM EDT
I've got a 12'x18' porch on my polebarn. I've got it formed, filled and leveled, using sand over clay for a 6" thick pad. The contractor that's going to pour it, came in today while I was gone and spread #8's an inch thick. I'm pissed! First off, it raised it up to 5" plus whiterock for a base? I was always told pea gravel or sand.
Also, is it possible to get a decent finish without a trowling machine. He only brought a bullfloat and a broom. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:29:48 PM EDT
The contractor spread #8 rebar? You will be fine. Better than without it by a large margin, just make sure it's only about 1 1/2" from the bottom of the slab, NOT centered in the slab.

If he's any good you should get a fine finish without a power trowel- you don't want a polished surface, the broom will put a nice texture down that won't be slippery. It sounds like he's doing fine, other than the overaxious owner looking over his shoulder.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:30:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SCW:
The contractor spread #8 rebar? You will be fine. Better than without it by a large margin, just make sure it's only about 1 1/2" from the bottom of the slab, NOT centered in the slab.

If he's any good you should get a fine finish without a power trowel- you don't want a polished surface, the broom will put a nice texture down that won't be slippery. It sounds like he's doing fine, other than the overaxious owner looking over his shoulder.

this
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:31:40 PM EDT
Too much HGTV...
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:31:45 PM EDT
You are mad he put in 1" rebar? What is he supposed to use? Semi-Truck axles?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:34:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BBossman:
Too much HGTV...

lulz from a guy who watches too much DIY.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:34:58 PM EDT
I'm left wondering what the problem is.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:35:07 PM EDT
#8 bar is overkill. #4 would have worked.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:35:12 PM EDT
#8's on a platform that size is more than sufficient.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:37:17 PM EDT
#8 rebar is probably overkill. I don't know what you are going to be doing on your slab, but just to give you a frame of reference, I am doing the inspection on a new solid waste transfer station that is using 5000-psi concrete on #6 rebar.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:37:36 PM EDT

thise
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:47:48 PM EDT
I have been working in concrete and masonry for 7 years now.

Nothing he did will make your slab perform poorly. Yeah sand or 3/8 PG is desired for a base material, but its not like youre building a high rise building footing.

5" concrete with #8 rebar will be very strong.

Youre in good shape!
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 1:51:50 PM EDT

#8 whiterock. Not rebar. All these years, I was always told not to use whiterock in the base. Peagravel or sand because it's smooth. Supposed to be 6" thick with fiber nycon. I'm not overanxious, but he's not living up to his rep. I already re-formed it because his 2x4's he put down as forms were warped and twisted. I replaced them with 2x6's at the proper slope. 3/4" drop in 12', not the 2 and a half inches he had. I wished I'd of taken pictures. You woulda shit. It's a covered porch protected from the elements, and yes, I do want a smooth finish. The room it leads into is an 18'x30' entertainment room for get- togethers and parties.

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:00:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BBossman:
Too much HGTV...

I don't watch television. I have helped pour alot of concrete years ago and got in and grunted with the boy that poured the 42'x50' building out back. It's the only concrete I've ever seen that doesn't even have a hairline crack after 5 years. I would of used him again, but he chose to end it all over a girl last year

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:00:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2010 2:01:11 PM EDT by possum5885]
#57 or chrusher run as a subbase for concrete

ETA - then the vapor barrier followed by the rebar or wire mesh
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:12:12 PM EDT
It might be code for broom finish on foot traffic areas. You will be glad when your friends
aren't slipping on there asses when drinks are spilled.

We always use 1/2 inch gravel, rebar or mesh when needed. Maybe he is trying to cut costs
by using some old rock he had to get rid of, and is charging you for something else?
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:15:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Locobob:

#8 whiterock. Not rebar. All these years, I was always told not to use whiterock in the base. Peagravel or sand because it's smooth. Supposed to be 6" thick with fiber nycon. I'm not overanxious, but he's not living up to his rep. I already re-formed it because his 2x4's he put down as forms were warped and twisted. I replaced them with 2x6's at the proper slope. 3/4" drop in 12', not the 2 and a half inches he had. I wished I'd of taken pictures. You woulda shit. It's a covered porch protected from the elements, and yes, I do want a smooth finish. The room it leads into is an 18'x30' entertainment room for get- togethers and parties.

This information is much better.

You may want to let him know you want a polished finish, at at least better than sidewalk stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about the rock on the bottom, the nycon will help more than the rock will ever hurt with cracking. You may want some welded wire in it for additional cracking protection, or better yet saw cut at 1/2 the longest length through the width of it after a few days.

Compaction before pouring will also help with cracking. But the type of rock won't have a huge impact.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 2:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2010 2:34:19 PM EDT by JosephTurrisi]
I have done alot of concrete work and we always use 1/2" or 3/4' wash stone under slabs you also want some kind of steel in there either wire mesh or # 4 or 5 rebar I would use both wire and rebar. I have pour alot of that concrete with the fiber in it and the job spec always called for steel also.
Top Top