Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 5:29:45 PM EDT
I am having a concrete pad poured tomorrow and they need a basic drawing of where I want the doors.

The garage is going to be 26' wide by 36' deep.  I am going to have a 36" side door and a 36" back door to the garage and of course a garage door.  My question is this.

When drawing this out on paper what dementions do I put for these so they leave the right openings in the concrete around the perimeter?  Standard garage doors are 16' wide right?  Are all the roungh openings going to be exactly 36" and 16'?

thanks,
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing like waiting until the last minute eh?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Your jman door needs to be one inch over on each side to allow for the 3/4 jamb.

Why is the "pad" (slab?) an issue for the openings? If the stem walls are higher than the "pad" (slab?) then the stem walls need to allow for the openings. IF the "pad" (slab?) is at the same elevation as the stem walls or it is a "mono" pour, I don't see the relevance to the slab and the openings.

Can you clarify?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The rough opening for a 36" door is 38". just put where the doors go, and write the sizes. The contractor will know the RO dimensions.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nothing like waiting until the last minute eh?

I was waiting for that, but I figured the guy has been in business for 30 years so he will correct me if I am wrong and I am going to meet with him tomorrow before he starts, but I would like to not look like a complete jackass.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:39:54 PM EDT
[#5]
For the 16' door, it is common to allow an extra inch and a half on each side of the opening so the garage door wrap can extend down to the slab, assuming you are using 2X material to wrap the door. If you are using 5/4 material, allow one inch on each side.

Do you have a stem wall on footings or a mono slab/stemwall sitting on footings or what? I'm trying to figure out exactly what you have so I can advise properly.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Your jman door needs to be one inch over on each side to allow for the 3/4 jamb.

Why is the "pad" (slab?) an issue for the openings? If the stem walls are higher than the "pad" (slab?) then the stem walls need to allow for the openings. IF the "pad" (slab?) is at the same elevation as the stem walls or it is a "mono" pour, I don't see the relevance to the slab and the openings.

Can you clarify?

Umm, I believe that the stems are going to be higher than the floor.  What is the term I should be calling this thing if that is the case?  What is a jman door?  What about the garage door opening?  Sorry, but I'm kinda dumb with this whole process.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The rough opening for a 36" door is 38". just put where the doors go, and write the sizes. The contractor will know the RO dimensions.

Bingo.  I pour concrete.  But just tell em where the door will go, how wide, and if you know, which way it will open (they might not care but I like to know).  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are going to set a treated floor plate and set the walls directly on the treated plate, you need bolts set to tie the plates down. The concrete finisher will put the bolts into the concrete where they are needed as he finishes the slab.

If you are setting a row or two of block, then you need rebar coming up from the slab here and there to help tie the block to the slab.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Oops, jman door = man door, as opposed to a rollup door. You said they were pouring a pad, so I thought slab, not foundation (footings and stemwall.) The stemwall is the concrete that goes between the footing and the framed wall (or block.) It is common around here to pour the slab lower than the top of the stem wall. That way you can have fall in the slab towards the rollup door. You can hose the slab or water from a soaked vehicle will run towards the opening.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo.  I pour concrete.  But just tell em where the door will go, how wide, and if you know, which way it will open (they might not care but I like to know).  

OK, I will just write down 16' door and 3' door where applicable on the drawing and talk to him tomorrow about it.  Thanks for your help arfcom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top