Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/11/2016 9:45:11 PM EDT
I'm working on a an addition to my house and I'd like to pour the entire basement addition (24x32), ceiling included.
Has anyone done this and could share any pointers?

How about a good safe door?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean you want to build a vault in your addition?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't really have any pointers on the concrete part except hire a good contractor.

Vaultpro makes great doors IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You mean you want to build a vault in your addition?
View Quote
Precisely! I just figured that more people have built smaller gun safe size rooms.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
in on 1
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I forgot add that if you do a vault room pay close attention to the ventilation and look into fire dampers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Use lots of rebar, including the ceiling.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Concrete produces moisture for years.  Install an active dehumidifier and ventilate.

My $0.02.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine built one in his basement, pretty neat has to run a dehumidifier even here in Idaho. It is around 4 x10 so not very big but holds all his guns, reloading gear.   He did all the work himself son the cost was pretty small.  I want to do one on my house but I am unsure how I want to gon about doing it.  His advice to me was have some one else do the concrete, just do the rebar myself.  I would have to have a concrete pumper in order to do it at my house.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:06:29 PM EDT
[#9]

A member here built a pretty massively neat one (IIRC) around the mid to late 2000's. He had a buttload of pic's.

I would think it would still be in the archives but the pic's might not be hosted any longer...

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
There was a build thread several years ago, do a search on vaults or vault doors.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a thread on here years ago where a guy built one, basically a gun room, off his garage.  It was impressive!  Probably 10 years back.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Concrete produces moisture for years.  Install an active dehumidifier and ventilate.

My $0.02.
View Quote

Yes, concrete is quite porous so is able to hold a lot of moisture.

Any chance you can build a 'secret' room, by that I mean one without hardened construction but that isn't even apparent that it exists?

A friend did that (closet shelf is a hinged hidden door to a 10'x12' room behind) and it's brilliant.....and pretty cheap by comparison.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Ask away - this is a concrete safe room / vault I built in my basement -

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Gator, why'd you have the door open in ??
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's my understanding that you want the door to open in so that if debris falls outside it doesn't jam the door shut.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#18]
We built one in our new home.  About 6x6 with 9 ft ceilng, which is actually part of the front porch.  It works great, and we put ina vault door from Smith Safe Company in Ohio.

Some pointers.

- Get the exact dimensions your door manufacturer recommends.  Make sure you concrete guy can pour to that, and keep it square and plumb.  I had to shave some concrete to get my door to fit.  That was messy.

- Plan your gun racks and storage in advance to make sure it will all fit.

- Be sure to have a plan for humidity control and air circulation.  You dont want it air tight unless it is a true bug out bunker.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's my understanding that you want the door to open in so that if debris falls outside it doesn't jam the door shut.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well sure, now that you say it, it makes perfect sense.  I was thinking easier to push in for security / safe room situation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:47:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Direct floor drain to run a dehumidifier.
Emptying the bucket on a regular basis sucks.
View Quote
Done - built a false bottom in the cabinet where I placed my dehumidifier which drains directly into the sump.  It's nice not emptying buckets anymore.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I built one n my basement out of a "storm cellar." Reinforced concrete over a masonry porch and a safe door. A dehumidifier is a must..

Here's the door I got, very happy with it. Not sure the exact model I got, it's been about 5 years but mine is fire rated and I have double locks and an interior "lock out" function. No, the girl doesn't come with it.....

http://www.sturdysafe.com/collections/2419-colletions/products/model-2822
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Right - the house may fall down around it but the door won't be blocked.  Also qualifies as a FEMA certified safe room which helps resale value.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
well sure, now that you say it, it makes perfect sense.  I was thinking easier to push in for security / safe room situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The door has both a panic button and a quick (well not so quick) release on the inside.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I forgot add that if you do a vault room pay close attention to the ventilation and look into fire dampers.
View Quote

Coolest gun room pictures I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:40:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My gun room isn't solid concrete. The area below it is. The room I've posted pictures of in the past is a hybrid of construction materials that were fireproof, bulletproof, and tamper proof. I picked these materials because I could build with them myself and not worry about people seeing what I as building. My vault which is under my guy room is where I store ammo fort and other expensive items I own, it can also serve as a storm shelter and safe room.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't really have any pointers on the concrete part except hire a good contractor.

View Quote

I believe it is Vault-tec good sir
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's Vaultpro. I own one. link
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#31]

My buddy built one on end of his garage,  dehumidifier is a must.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:53:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're wrong!

Vault-Tec is the leader in high quality vault construction. Just keep an eye on them; they can be a bit treacherous and they tend to misrepresent themselves.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:53:58 PM EDT
[#33]
FEMA was paying for the costs of building a storm shelter when people rebuilt houses in the Joplin area.  At least one of them in Duquesne ended up looking pretty much like a gun vault.  I ain't saying it's right, I'm just saying.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:54:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

You're wrong!

Vault-Tec is the leader in high quality construction. Just keep an eye on them; they can be a bit treacherous and they tend to misrepresent themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're wrong!

Vault-Tec is the leader in high quality construction. Just keep an eye on them; they can be a bit treacherous and they tend to misrepresent themselves.

I did my homework before buying and I have had it for a number of years. I said they were good in my opinion. Everyone has an opinion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I did my homework before buying and I have had it for a number of years. I said they were good in my opinion. Everyone has an opinion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're wrong!

If I'm reading this right, he is referring to the Fallout game series (where Vault-Tec was a rather nefarious builder of underground bunkers).  Thus the

Very cool room, I hope to build one similar soon.  I like the idea of the dehumidifier draining into the sump, and hidden in the cabinet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Built a 12' x 14' room, Amsec outswing door..... Advice, go with an outswing, you loose a lot of space with an inswing door.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Id build my own door.  That project would be fun as hell.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#39]
An old shooting buddy added a concrete block gun room into his existing basement.
Each void in the block was filled with concrete and rebar. Each course used wall ties to
secure them to the next course  The ceiling was done with a concrete and rebar with a gap between the
ceiling joists and top of the vault room. He used a steel safe door that was tied into the blocks via rebar.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#40]
This is where I ordered my door from -

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:14:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Ft Knox Safes makes a vault door. Purdy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Is this is just sitting in the entry way couldnt you just run a recip saw all around it and push the door/frame in? Or is it recessed over the block? How does this work?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My gun room isn't solid concrete. The area below it is. The room I've posted pictures of in the past is a hybrid of construction materials that were fireproof, bulletproof, and tamper proof. I picked these materials because I could build with them myself and not worry about people seeing what I as building. My vault which is under my guy room is where I store ammo fort and other expensive items I own, it can also serve as a storm shelter and safe room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your gun room is baller.

WAIT...YOU HAVE MORE STUFF DOWNSTAIRS???????
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:23:47 AM EDT
[#44]
I look forward to these types of threads
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:27:30 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Built a 12' x 14' room, Amsec outswing door..... Advice, go with an outswing, you loose a lot of space with an inswing door.
View Quote
Uuhhh balls.

Hee we go.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Your gun room is baller.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your gun room is baller.

Yes but I will never share photographs of the room.  The ones I have taken on a USB drive and locked in a safe deposit box at the bank.

My only mistake when build the lower room was not thinking about storing 12.5k round drums in there.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#47]
To date, I have not built a concrete gun safe.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd be looking online for designs
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I look forward to these types of threads
View Quote

It comes with being new.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Graffunder Safe and Vault..they have no equal. Trust me. I searched.
I built my room 8"thick with a double mat of 3/4" Rebar on 6" centers. All sides
. It also has two layers of 5/8" FireRok fireproof sheetrock. Each sheet has a 2 hour burn time.
Still waiting on my shelf guy. They will match the wood on the trim.
I opted for the black chrome handle and hardware. Also went for a mechanical lock.
Just dont trust a keypad..should the batteries die.etc..
Any other questions or pics just ask.its totally worth it. I have room for guns, and was planning ahead since i have a young son and daughter.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top