Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2005 1:22:10 PM EDT
Concealed weapon charge due to an Airsoft, is that even possible ?

UNCW police confiscate BB guns
12/8/2005 12:31 PM
By: Associated Press

(WILMINGTON) - Police on the UNC-Wilmington campus would like to see an end to the latest fad -- students carrying BB guns that look like the real thing.

At least four of the Airsoft guns, which shoot plastic BBs, have been seized since Thursday.

Retired UNC-W police Captain Wayne Howell, who still works part time at the department as an investigator says the guns carry a Smith and Wesson trademark and resemble the real thing.

Weapons are forbidden on campus property. The issue is particularly sensitive after two students were shot to death last year on or near the campus.

Three of the guns were taken from students last Thursday in Honors House. Another gun and a container of BBs were confiscated from a student Monday afternoon in Graham Hall.

Howell says the students carrying the guns were not criminally charged with carrying a concealed weapon but were referred to the dean's office for possible disciplinary action on administrative charges.

http://rdu.news14.com/content/school_news/?ArID=77870&SecID=136
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
lol at kids carrying concealed airsoft.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
watch out for those illegal 6mm plastic pellets...damn campus police did a fine job confiscating that contraband!    /sarcasm                   assholes....
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow!  I graduated from UNCW in 2002 and I can tell you that is one LIBERAL university.  Mostly wealthy kids that don't do much other than drink and party.  A large portion are from the northern states/New England and regard the locals as red neck trash.  

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Asshats will be trying to confiscate pictures of firearms next! Ooooooo.....they LOOK like a firearm! Ooooooo.....
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Weapons are forbidden on campus property. The issue is particularly sensitive after two students were shot to death last year on or near the campus.

err bit of and understatment... its a FELONY in NC for students to have weapons on campus... misdemeaner for anyone else...

lovely little law seeing as campuses extents are not marked in anyway....
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#6]
What were the students doing with their airsoft guns that they were even seen?  Were they shooting other students or playing little airsoft games in the hallways or on campus?  Remember the movie Gotcha?

Playing with an airsoft gun in a manner which would cause alarm to the casual observer is not a good idea.  

And school buildings are the wrong area to be playing airsoft.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

err bit of and understatment... its a FELONY in NC for students to have weapons on campus... misdemeaner for anyone else...

Is an airsoft even a weapon by definition? I wonder how the College Baseball team plays baseball without bats? Isn't a bat a weapon? This shit HAS to stop! Fucking luicrous!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow!  I graduated from UNCW in 2002 and I can tell you that is one LIBERAL university.  Mostly wealthy kids that don't do much other than drink and party.  A large portion are from the northern states/New England and regard the locals as red neck trash.  

-REAPER2502

I graduated in 2000 from UNCW.  Agree %300 with you.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What were the students doing with their airsoft guns that they were even seen?  Were they shooting other students or playing little airsoft games in the hallways or on campus?  Remember the movie Gotcha?

Playing with an airsoft gun in a manner which would cause alarm to the casual observer is nit a good idea.  

Thats the whole problem. 25 years ago nobody batted an eye at toy guns, hell they even let us kids play with them. Guns (even toys) are just demonized and more and more everyday, it's sad really.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Is an airsoft even a weapon by definition? I wonder how the College Baseball team plays baseball without bats? Isn't a bat a weapon? This shit HAS to stop! Fucking luicrous
- doesnt matter as the kids werent charged criminally for the airsoft guns.

There is probably a student bylaw or something the guys violated by having them.  Atleast this didnt come about becuase they were running around the campus robbing people with them (like we see around here)
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Playing with an airsoft gun in a manner which would cause alarm to the casual observer is nit a good idea.  

Thats the whole problem. 25 years ago nobody batted an eye at toy guns, hell they even let us kids play with them. Guns (even toys) are just demonized and more and more everyday, it's sad really.

And 25 years ago most kids quit playing with toy guns before they went to college.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#12]
It does make some sense to disallow them. Confiscation, I'm not sure, if I were them I'd have asked them to send them to a friend off-campus. But it's airsoft, and some airsoft guns can sting quite a bit to people that aren't prepared to be shot by them, which at a place like that, there's no reason anyone would be. Plus there's no guarantee that just because they're out of high school means that they're mature.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:12:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Liability.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is an airsoft even a weapon by definition? I wonder how the College Baseball team plays baseball without bats? Isn't a bat a weapon? This shit HAS to stop! Fucking luicrous!

Tell you what, you take an airsoft down to the local mall or Macdonalds wave it in the air and start screaming about killing him when you catch him and find out what happens.  And when the police arrive point it at them and say "it's a toy. You can't shoot me ."

Yeah they were probably playing shoot them up, but on a campus that has had some killings, probably isn't the right place.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Airsoft stings!

Other than that, it couldn't be a concealed weapons charge--after all, the Campus Cops knew they had it....Doesn't sound very concealed to me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Playing with an airsoft gun in a manner which would cause alarm to the casual observer is not a good idea.  

That's what I'd like to know, too.  I think it's quite possible that these people may have been carrying them with the intent of using them as a non-lethal weapon because it's the only weapon they could get their hands on.  Would the students who carried concealed airsoft have had any reason to think someone wanted to harm them or were they just a bunch of drunken college idiots ?  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
lol at kids carrying concealed airsoft.

LOL, obviously not very well

maybe they'll get better at it and not present any noticable firearm outline later in life
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#18]
The problem is that todays 22 year old is about as mature as the average 12 year old was 50 years ago. Back then most students knew how to properly handle a weapon, and were probably alowed to have them in there posseson on campus for legitamite purposes. I got to one of these dimwitted liberal campuses and the stupidity and doublespeak knows no bounds. The administration could really care less if I smoked pot and nearly killed myself with alcohol every night. But for some reason I could never be trusted with weapon, even as measly as a BB gun as a 19 year old living on my own. But to be perfectly honest I cant blame them, seeing the maturity and the common sense level of the average student.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top