Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2018 7:58:39 PM EDT
So it's another CCW insurance thread.

I recently spoke with a friend, more like a former coworker acquaintance.  Long story short, he was involved in self defense situation where he used his firearm.  He wasn't found liable and everything turned out as well as it could be considering the situation.  He did say that without his CCW insurance, it would have had such a severe financial impact on him and his family, he doesn't even want to think about it.  It truly was life altering for him.

So I did some research and USCCA, CCW Safe, and Armed Citizen keeps popping up.

Any suggestions from the hive?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheap insurance IMO. I use Texas Law Shield (I think it's US Law Shield now). It's like $13 a month for in state and out of state coverage. Just skip eating out once a month.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I did a careful comparison and I chose USCCA.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#4]
A buddy did a bunch of research and concluded he needed two policies.  One with USCCA and another that primarily paid for expert witnesses.  He thought it was a hole in the USCCA insurance.  Don’t remember what the other policy was called.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I joined Texas Law Shield the day I went through my CHL class (now LTCH). Haven't needed it yet, but it's a lot like the gun. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm an Attorney, have researched the various options, this is the decision I came to. Several other gun toting attorneys I know did the same....ymmv.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I have. Don't know if it is any good or not, Hope I never have to find out
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Read this. A comparison done by our state level gun rights group.

https://vcdl.org/resources/pdf/Legal_Plan_Comparison.pdf
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#9]
From my understanding, doesn't USCCA NOT pay upfront and CCW SAFE does?

I've read that some are purchasing two types of insurance such as Armed Citizen and then USCCA.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Read this. A comparison done by our state level gun rights group.

https://vcdl.org/resources/pdf/Legal_Plan_Comparison.pdf
View Quote
Wow.  That is nice.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I have USCCA. It's cheap and has a lot of good benefits.

The included concealed carry magazine is awesome too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have USCCA. It's cheap and has a lot of good benefits.

The included concealed carry magazine is awesome too.
View Quote
The Optics Planet discount alone pays for my membership!!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]
If only a legitimate expert, a lawyer perhaps, who specializes in self defense law could evaluate what companies are good, what you need, etc was available...

Oh wait, there is.

I’ve already preordered it weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#15]
USCCA here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#16]
It seems as though USCCA and CCW Safe have a big following.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Law shield here. Hope to never need, but comforting to have.

Inexpensive in the grand scheme and I’ll carry it i definitely.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had USCCA for a couple of years now. Hopefully, I'll never need it.

The quarterly gun "giveaways" are a nice bonus (well, would be if I ever won, but my fiance won once, so I know they aren't scams -- it's actually a gift card to PSA).

They have an annual convention where you can go see all the latest concealed carry stuff, take training, and they also have a live fire range where you can try out various guns.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#19]
USCCA for me and the wife
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Only one company has successfully defended a client that was charged with murder in a self defense shooting. Google Stephen Maddox murder case.

Full disclosure: I filmed some of the videos you will find of that case for CCW Safe as a contractor. After talking to Stephen Maddox and the local North Carolina attorneys that defended him I believe 100% CCW Safe saved Maddox life. He was looking at life in prison if found guilty. It was an over zealous prosecution to say the least and without the resources CCW Safe brought to the table the best Maddox could of hoped for was to lose everything he owned to pay for a defense by people with less experience and knowledge of self defense cases.

There is a lot of fine print going on in the CCW coverage industry. Make sure you know what you are actually buying. Maddox never saw a single legal bill during the entire course of his trial. Not for expert witnesses, attorneys or his bail. He didn't have to pay a single dime above and beyond his initial membership. I highly recommend anyone who carries a gun watch Stephen's story whether you are in the market for coverage or not. There are a lot of lessons to be learned.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:29:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Only one company has successfully defended a client that was charged with murder in a self defense shooting. Google Stephen Maddox murder case.

Full disclosure: I filmed some of the videos you will find of that case for CCW Safe as a contractor. After talking to Stephen Maddox and the local North Carolina attorneys that defended him I believe 100% CCW Safe saved Maddox life. He was looking at life in prison if found guilty. It was an over zealous prosecution to say the least and without the resources CCW Safe brought to the table the best Maddox could of hoped for was to lose everything he owned to pay for a defense by people with less experience and knowledge of self defense cases.

There is a lot of fine print going on in the CCW coverage industry. Make sure you know what you are actually buying. Maddox never saw a single legal bill during the entire course of his trial. Not for expert witnesses, attorneys or his bail. He didn't have to pay a single dime above and beyond his initial membership. I highly recommend anyone who carries a gun watch Stephen's story whether you are in the market for coverage or not. There are a lot of lessons to be learned.
View Quote
Thank you for the info.

Taking off your CCW Safe hat, is there one you prefer?
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thank you for the info.

Taking off your CCW Safe hat, is there one you prefer?
View Quote
I tell everyone to do their own research and dig into the fine print. Most important look into who the people are that will be on the other end of the phone and at your side if you find yourself in the middle of a nightmare. What is their experience with real word self defense cases? What is their experience with the justice system in general? Do they actually pay out what they say they will?

I'm biased towards CCW Safe because I saw first hand the results of the service they provide and how serious they are about taking care of their members. It made me a true believer in their company so I am not an impartial observer.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 2:54:03 AM EDT
[#23]
USCCA here, for both myself & wife unit. top level coverage... <- this after seeing my buddy that was involved in a deadly UoF situation in his own front yard, try to absorb over $150,000+ in legal cost.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#24]
I currently have CCW Safe and SDF for spouse and I.  Memberships are phased bi-annual, next up for renewal is CCW Safe.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 3:20:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag.

what are you guys paying yearly?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Any chane anyone has a discount or referral code?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:37:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm thinking about that Ultimate plan.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's who I use.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#29]
As an attorney that has actively defended many self-defense shooting cases I am very skeptical of a lot of these plans. Recently at my range there was a table set up promoting and selling a plan (I forget which one) and I asked how many claims they've had, what their record was, who the attorney would be to represent me, and how experts are chosen and if there's a cap on expert fees. They could not answer any of those questions. My impression was that they're happy riding out the gravy train until a claim comes in and then they'll figure it out.

There are very few decisions a person can make in their life that are more important than who to use to represent you when charged with a serious crime. Indeed, if you were diagnosed with cancer you'd likely seek several opinions from different doctors covered by your health insurance plan and you'd proceed with the best, most experienced doctor you feel comfortable with. Medicine is more of a science than an art, and yet you;re given many choices under most health insurance plans. However, I believe many of these prepaid legal plans limit your choice of lawyer and expert in a profession that's far more art than science.

Most experts in this field suck. My firm hired the local go-to ballistics and firearms expert many years ago on a case involving a pistol grip shotgun. The buffoon knocked out a tooth pattern testing the gun when he placed it up to his mouth. Since then we've used an expert out of Indiana several times who was nothing less than a miracle for our clients. We got a drug dealer acquitted who killed another dealer during an attempted robbery that happened during a drug deal. We also got a minor house arrest sentence for a home owner who fired several shots from behind into his car as it was stolen and being driven away (the young thug was left a vegetable when one pellet entered his brain). All of this was based on dragging the case out and delaying so that the prosecution got tired of dealing with our motions, depositions, and expert reports. I'm confident that without the amazing expert we used in those cases we would not have secured the amazing results we did.

Insurance companies don't necessarily have the same relationship with their customers as I do with my clients and if I didn't have the freedom to retain experts out of state I'd be stuck with the local zeros.  If I couldn't drag the case out until I got a deal I wanted the client also would have suffered.

I represented a litigation funding company for some time that funded complex business litigation suits. Prepaid legal plans operate on a similar financial model. I can tell you that my client was not interested in retaining experts or letting lawyers take any longer than necessary in resolving a case to a minimum acceptable outcome.

Also, I think there's a lot of bullshit misconceptions about why you might even need prepaid legal insurance for self-defense shootings. I'm a firm believer that there are good shoots and bad shoots. This is obviously not completely binary, especially depending where you live. If you shoot someone in your home and you're justified you don't need a lawyer. Hell, the cops will want to take selfies with you and buy you a beer. If you get in a good shot with an armed individual who means you harm then you may need a lawyer while the matter is investigated but it likely won't be a huge fee and it should resolve quickly. If you get in a bad shoot you need a damn good lawyer and a lot of money or else you're fucked. I doubt prepaid insurance would even cover a bad shoot because they may argue it was not a valid act of self-defense.

I've represented clients on appeal in two bad shoots. They had questionable to horrible trial lawyers and neither had funds for an expert. Both were convicted, hence the need to hire me on appeal.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Thank you.  Great feedback and I can't thank you enough.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#31]
If you go with CCW SAFE, use coupon code LOSD10 for 10% off I believe.

I’m paying $28 monthly for US lawshield, & $150 a year for my silver level USCCA membership, but they don’t even offer that plan anymore.

It’s not perfect, but considering I no longer visit strange folks homes for a living, I’m pretty well covered.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If you go with CCW SAFE, use coupon code LOSD10 for 10% off I believe.

I’m paying $28 monthly for US lawshield, & $150 a year for my silver level USCCA membership, but they don’t even offer that plan anymore.

It’s not perfect, but considering I no longer visit strange folks homes for a living, I’m pretty well covered.
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top