Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:21:43 AM EDT
I started a thread in GD: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=386345 about some handguns that I'm thinking about for a conceal carry and am getting some good advice about my choices.

The only advice I'm not getting is about how I can carry it. I definitely want to conceal it but my clothes are all pretty form fitting.

So, I'm wondering if I would need to buy a whole new wardrobe or not. How do yall conceal yours?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:54:47 AM EDT
Well... when I was in a state where carry was legal, I kept the big gun in a Coronado Leather Purse, but my BUG gun in one of those Bra holsters, then of course there is the thunderwear option, or just a pocket, my BUGs are all small enough to go unnoticed in a pocket. Then there is my spiffy little modified PDA carrier that holds a Kel-Tec and a spare mag, and doesn't look out of place on my belt in business attire.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:36:09 AM EDT
I carry my 1911 in a fanny pack. I hate it but its convienient and handy. I would like to buy something smaller with a panty holster but I can't afford a new pistol right now.

Patty
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:12:55 AM EDT
Ladies,

I have taught concealed carry to several women friends. I do this because I am really good at concealing firearms and have been packing most my of my adult life (20 some years).

When you start packing a defensive firearm, one of the first things you need to realize is that you will need to change some habits and your wardrobe. Unless you pack off body, fanny pack or a small .22, you will need to change your habits.

I have some really good articles about women and packing and used them for examples. I will try to dig them up.

If you carry on-body, you will need to get a fuller cut of clothing to forego printing. Problem is, if you start wearing bigger clothing, you start looking less sleek. Same goes with guys. You may look somewhat "less sleek" but you'll be well armed. Sometimes you can retain your form fitting clothing and start wearing a larger cut vest to conceal. I wear large t-shirts or large hawaiian shirts to conceal my large P220 Sig, but I have thought about Adventure type vests. It works for me so far. I sometimes look like a dirtbag, but I am very well armed dirtbag.

I also pack my big-bore in a "Day-Timer" type thing. I call it my "Any-Timer." It looks like a Day-Timer or a bible. Some people don't like this style of carry, but at times, it works for me.

Another problem for women is that they usually can't carry the same way a guy does because of how they are built. You guys have different curves than guys. If you carry IWB, it is sometimes better to move the firearm forward of the hip rather than behind. Some women that are somewhat "endowed" can sometimes pack in a belly-band type holster and retrieve it through a plunging neckline. I have also heard of some packing a Glock G27 in a thigh holster under a skirt or dress, flash the bad guy by hiking up her skirt to draw her gun. This throws the guy off at first and give her a little time to get the gun into play. Whatever works, I guess.

If you pack in a purse, I suggest that you have a steel wire run through your strap to stop someone trying to grab your purse by cutting the strap. Just a suggestion and not too hard to do.

Someone once said that "packing a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable. It's supposed to be comforting." Feel free to IM me if I can answer other questions for you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:15:03 PM EDT
I've heard that getting a purse for it would be good. But I've also heard that those purses are really expensive. Does anyone know where I can look at them at?

A fanny pack isn't really an option since I am always carrying a purse with me.

LdyGunner: Bra holster??? Thunderwear option?? What's that?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:45:56 PM EDT
concealed carry purse thread
This is in the archives.

For me I carry IWB and I wear looser clothing. I gave up trying to look sleek for the comfort of knowing I am protected.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:21:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrsGungho:
concealed carry purse thread
This is in the archives.

For me I carry IWB and I wear looser clothing. I gave up trying to look sleek for the comfort of knowing I am protected.

I read that thread and all those purses are WAY out of my price range.

The main thing about my wardrobe is that what I wear if very comfortable for me. I have some looser clothing but I just feel like it's going to fall off of my. Lol.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:02:53 PM EDT
My friend M. carries in an ankle holster. One of the baby Glocks. That's the way I am leaning myself, just because I wear pants all the time anyway.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:08:59 PM EDT
tagged
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:38:49 PM EDT

Outstanding post, Rtech

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:21:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 9:41:15 PM EDT by LdyGunner]

Originally Posted By frtloop85:

The purses can get expensive. I really like this one though. It's not really a purse, it's a laptop carrier that looks exactly like the regular laptop carrier/soft briefcase that I and hundreds of others carry to work every day, so I don't think it's such a bad choice for those who have to wear professional attire. I like the expensive leather versions of these available elsewhere, but this nylon one is a lot less expensive and doesn't stand out in the crowd (which is a good thing if you're trying to be inconspicuous).

Their website is here:Competitive Edge Dynamics

There used to be a company that made bra's that had a holster straps built into them; but I know a few women who have modified their bras to do the same thing using judiciously placed straps and velcro to secure the firearms/guard the trigger and safety's etcetera; I can conceal a Kimber Ultra Carry this way just fine, but anyone should be able to conceal say a Kel Tec or other firearm of similar size this way.

Thunderwear holsters are a different concealment system that tucks into your pants/skirt:

http://www.thunderwear.com/
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:26:40 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:28:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LdyGunner:

Originally Posted By frtloop85:

Thunderwear holsters are a different concealment system that tucks into your pants/skirt:

http://www.thunderwear.com/

Do you have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:33:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:21:40 PM EDT
Just call Charlie at Thunderwear and order what you need. If it dosen't work out send it back. It is the way he does business. You will be out the shipping & that it. I have an extremly worn rig that I still use. It took a little to get used to at first. I carry A Kimber CDP PRO and I have never had any problems.

Just call and talk to him, it will be worth your time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2005 7:01:28 PM EDT by rtech]
I tried Thunderwear a few times. It was okay. I didn't like the way I had to grip then readjust the grip after it cleared my pants. I also didn't like pointing a loaded firearm down the front of my pants. Makes me nervous. I also found that garments that bellow or have pleats work better to conceal it than do jeans or things without pleats. I found it didn't work well for me. Same with Pager-Pal. I had one of those as well. I thought it would hide a G36 pretty well. It was okay. I felt I didn't get a good combat grip on it while drawing. Maybe I didn't work at it long enough. I did see a guy demonstrate concealing a Desert Eagle in a Pager Pal deal. He looked like he was, ummm, happy to see me.

I carry a few different ways. I carry a G27 in an ankle rig or SOB along with a primary .45 in either a Galco shoulder rig, Kydex IWB, Fitzpatrick pancake or my "Any-Timer" I got from Dillon. If I find myself on a long drive, I'll use a cross draw rig or my shoulder rig as it is better to draw while sitting. I have also used an Active-Wear belly band while running.

I am hardly ever without a firearm, usually 2 (my G27 and P220) - and sometimes I carry a FAL carbine in a soft-sided guitar gig bag in the truck.

I bet I have tried nearly every method of CCW invented. You need to experiment until you find what works for you. Be aware that some things just plain suck.

ETA: The problem with getting a CCW and CCW instructors are that they teach you gun safety,the laws, the mindset and discretionary shooting - but they don't really teach you how to conceal the gun itself. Especially if you are a female. I hope to change that.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:37:22 PM EDT
Hey H

I hate to say it but 'new clothing’ has my vote. I buy holsters like some women buy shoes and there is just no ideal way to inconspicuously conceal when wearing tight/revealing clothes.
I have a thigh holster for skirts and dresses when not wearing a jacket and it works ok. I prefer S.O.B (small of back) holsters but they don't work well with ‘plumber jeans’ that are all the rage now.

Let me say from experience that it is much more cost effective to buy conceal carry friendly clothing than it will be to match firearms and holster to every ensemble. Carry what you feel comfortable with and dress accordingly. Just my findings, let me know how you fare.

IM me, I've wondered about you lately.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:25:05 PM EDT
I went with the purse after finding one at a gun show for $50.00. It is really well made but does have it's drawbacks. I tried to carry my Glock 19 but it was too heavy for my shoulder (old injury) so I got a Kal-tec to carry. At least for now, this works for me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:07:44 PM EDT
Try this linkSmartCarry I got my SmartCarry & ThunderWear confused.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:09:28 AM EDT
I got a concealed carry purse from Action-Direct, I wasn't as expensive as some of the other ones I'd priced. I think it was about $75. I very rarely use it, though, as I prefer to have my weapon on my person. I have a Galco ankle band that sees a lot of use. Most current styles of "girlie" jeans have wide enough legs to conceal my Glock 26 just fine, and I can still wear a form fitting top. I hip carry as much as possible, especially in winter, though I am in the market for a new holster.

You will almost certainly have to make some changes in how you dress if you want to carry on body. Like the others said, it is well worth it for the comfort of being armed.
Top Top