Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 6:20:09 AM EDT
I have a basic code reader (EZ Scan 2000).  I can upgrade it for about $150 to improve it's capabilities into an actual engine scanner but have been thinking about getting something better and it would still be somewhat limited anyway.

So, what's a good scanner system to look at?  Obviously I don't want to spend $10k but is there one that maybe uses a laptop or something to run the electronics?

I want something more than just a code reader.  But, I'm not sure what I need to look for.  

So, any recommendations?

I've been mechanic in past times and currently still work on my own vehicles as well as friends' vehicles.  I have a pretty well equipped shop so this would be a high tech addition.

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard great things about Autoenginuity, BUT it LARGLY depends on what you are working on. If you are working on VAG cars or Porsche you will be looking at a completely different (and way more expensive) flavor of controller.

Autoenginuity uses an OBDII to USB interface and has vast and useful capabilities. Runs on your laptop. I would suggest you check out their website. http://www.autoenginuity.com/ Good luck
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've heard great things about Autoenginuity, BUT it LARGLY depends on what you are working on. If you are working on VAG cars or Porsche you will be looking at a completely different (and way more expensive) flavor of controller.

Autoenginuity uses an OBDII to USB interface and has vast and useful capabilities. Runs on your laptop. I would suggest you check out their website. http://www.autoenginuity.com/ Good luck

Thanks for the info.  I'll check it out.  

I'm just looking to be able to work on American cars as well as Toyota and Nissan vehicles.  Nothing exotic.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an otc handheld of some sort from back when I bought a used 96 z28 camaro.  It is mostly american stuff and while it cost a grand a half to 2 grand back then it might bring 500 these days.

For my 07 jeep I am looking at probably going with software and cables to let the laptop talk to the jeep because upgrading the otc would cost more than what the software and cables will cost for the laptop.

I already have the laptop so I don't consider it in my expenses but if you don't have a laptop then something else might work.

A local pawnshop has a snapon handheld scanner for up 99 american stuff on his shelf and is asking 700, it has been there a bit but I don't know what he paid so I don't know if it will come down in price.

I had a nice cheap 50 dollar hand held engine code reader thing and it could clear the code but it never showed anything else.  I gave it to my dad so he can just check codes and if he wants to just clear it he can clear it and see if it resets the code or not.

I prefer the scanner handheld units since you can see what is going on while driving around.

My recomendation is to keep your eyes open.  A lot of mechanics and local garages are selling their tools and stuff and you should be able to come up with a decent handheld scanner for a good price if you don't need it to be super duper up to date.

And it has to fit your needs.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#4]
What years are you working on? If your not looking for CAN vehicles pick up a Snap-on brick, most are under $500, and cartridges are mostly under $50 each. If you want CAN abilities watch Craigslist, I've seen Modis there for months on end with the asking price under 3K.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Just get some open source software and a usb to OBDII port cable.

tactrix offers the cable for the several cars.
For my wrx it was 90

the software if you can find it for your car is free.

Enginuity as mentioned before is good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I purchased the AutoEnginuity last month. I added the GM software to it. Sadly I have not used it more than once with moving and all.

I plan to mess around with it this week.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top