Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2005 5:09:41 AM EDT
Is there anywhere I can buy just a hard drive with just windows installed. No box or anything else, just an internal hard drive?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#1]
no, but if you just buy the hard drive then I can help out with the other part.

IM if interested.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll trade you a 10GB HDD with 98SE for 5 20rd Colt magazines.

Shok
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
you can buy a hdd, swap it with your current hdd, install windows then swap them back out.  What exactly is your goal?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you can buy a hdd, swap it with your current hdd, install windows then swap them back out.  What exactly is your goal?

A computer with a clean install of windows and no crap. I have 2 HDDs now but I have no XP disc to re-install with.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:45:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Didnt HP lose a lawsuit over not providing backup discs? I want my disc!!!

HP settles hidden partition suit
Posted Aug 3, 2005, 8:00 AM ET by Marc Perton
Related entries: Desktops, Laptops

If you’re the owner of an HP PC purchased over the past few years, you may just be in line for a free Windows XP recovery CD, based on the settlement of a class-action lawsuit brought against HP over, of all things, hidden recovery partitions and missing Windows XP directories. The main allegations in the case, which was settled without HP admitting any wrongdoing, were that HP included undisclosed recovery partitions on PC hard drives, and didn’t include the “ValueAdd” and “Support” folders that are included on standalone copies of XP. To be honest, we’re still shaking our heads over this one; OEM copies of software are often different from retail copies, and HP certainly isn’t the only PC company that has stuffed a hard drive with extraneous files, hidden partition or no. Somehow, we think that with all that’s going on at HP lately, it was just easier for them to settle this and send out a bunch of CDs than to let it drag on.

laptops.engadget.com/entry/1234000957052940/
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
well.... you can do a HDD with a "clean" version of windows but as soon as you install it Windows will detect all other devices for your system (ie: system devices, drive controlers, video cards etc) - so there will still be some config. necessary.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:55:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
well.... you can do a HDD with a "clean" version of windows but as soon as you install it Windows will detect all other devices for your system (ie: system devices, drive controlers, video cards etc) - so there will still be some config. necessary.

He probably wont encounter much of this since XP has a large driver base. However if you do its simple to go get the drivers of HPs site.

BTW doesn't hp put like XP on another partition or somthing odd like that?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A computer with a clean install of windows and no crap. I have 2 HDDs now but I have no XP disc to re-install with.

if your hd crashed, you will have to contact hp for the recovery cd's. the last time i ordered some for a customer they were less that $20 dollars including shipping..  If you had Xp installed teh product key is on the side or somewhere on the computer(its a 25 digit long number)  you can borow someons xp cd install windows, use YOUR key to get windows back on the system.  but you will NOT have all the other software that came with the comptuer when you bought it.  

let me know if i can be of any help
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

sometime that works sometimes it doesn't.   teh system has to have a similar chipset to the original computer or the system will not boot.  blue screen of death will appear  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sometime that works sometimes it doesn't.   teh system has to have a similar chipset to the original computer or the system will not boot.  blue screen of death will appear  

XP's better than any other versions of Windows at doing that.  I used to use an 8.4GB HDD with a version of XP installed and I'd swap it into a case now and then for troublshooting just for my own personal Knoppix-type-windows-thing.  BartPE does that type of thing better, but you need a copy of XP to make your own disk.

For this thread, nope, people don't sell hard drives with preinstalled XP on them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top