Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/11/2004 4:02:28 AM EST
I have a Dell Inspiron 2500 laptop that someone gave me. Celeron 850mhz, 3oo+ Mb mem, 20Gb HD, running XP pro.
It as working fine for a while and one time after I turned it on it said 'Operating System Not Found.'

Sometimes it would boot up but finally it began making a loud noise from the HD and it never found the OS again. I pulled the old HD out and orderd one from Dell.

The instructions said to install the new HD, put in a CD with the OS and turn on the computer.
I put the new HD in and booted it with the system restore cd containing an old OS from my Gateway desktop, Win 98se. This is the only cd I could find at that moment which can be booted.

I used the system restore cd and it started to work, I saw it begin the setup, but somehow it never finished and now I can't get the computer to boot. I found a clean version of Win 98 in my cd pile(not a system restore). I tried it and it still won't boot.

All I see is a message on the screen that says, "Missing Operating System."

None of my CD' s work. I can't get it to begin the install of my Win 98 cd, and I can't get it to run the system restore cd from my old Gateway. It just displays the Mising OS message no matter what I do.

I think the Gateway system restore cd may have screwed up the new HD that I just put in.
Is there anything that can be done to get the new HD running? I am going to work right now, but I will check back later.

Thanks very much in advance for any help/suggestions that you may have.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:05:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:32:42 AM EST
Not all 98 cds are bootable. You made need a floppy boot disk.You made need to delete the partition it created .recreate the partition format it and then install.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:43:56 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:25:14 AM EST
Thank you very much for the help, it is very much appreciated. I just got a chance to read this due to work.

It is clear that I should have posted a help topic before attempting to install the HD!!

I will find a boot floppy disc, and a new copy of XP before I proceed. Hopefully I can find the XP nd go with that. If not, Win 98 will do for the time being.

Using the restore cd from another mfg. was a bad idea, but sometimes you try to work with what you have.

Thanks again for everything.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:31:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2004 2:32:50 AM EST by oneshot1kill]
Sorry, double post....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:03:45 AM EST
format C

in other words- 98 sucks ass- get XP NOW
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:38:08 AM EST
actually 98 is better than ME ;)
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:47:33 AM EST
First off, your Gateway restore cd is NOT going to work on a Dell. Duh.

If you have either your 98 CD or XP CD, stick it in, then hit F2 on the Dell screen at POST to go into the setup. Find the Boot Sequence. Change it so the CDROM is ahead of the Harddrive. You should then be able to boot to the CD to start the install of the OS.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 5:55:17 AM EST

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:

If you have either your 98 CD or XP CD, stick it in, then hit F2 on the Dell screen at POST to go into the setup. Find the Boot Sequence. Change it so the CDROM is ahead of the Harddrive. You should then be able to boot to the CD to start the install of the OS.

Something tells me this guy oughtta know what hes talking about.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:18:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:

Thanks Matthew_Q.

The Gateway cd worked on one of my Compaq computers after I renamed the HD to C: Gateway. I figured I would give it a try on the Dell but I should have waited for the correct software.

After the initial boot up, the Gateway cd began to install and just stopped.
Then I finally hit F2 and changed the boot sequence to CD-ROM Drive>> HD>> Removable Devices, and it never worked. It still reads 'Missing OS.'

After reading your reply, I went back into F2 setup, and checked to make sure I selected the CD as the first boot device.
It was selected, but there seems to be a problem with it because there is an exclamation mark(!) before the CD-Rom Drive listing. The other two items have a plus sign(+) before thier listings.

I don't know exactly what that means for the , could there be a problem with the !CD-ROM Drive not having drivers loaded, or the drive itself is bad?

I have a good copy of Win 98 that I tried and it won't boot up, so I am not sure at this point if a Win XP cd would make a difference. If I can get Win 98 to install I will be able to install WIN XP, but if 98 won't go in, I don't see any reason for another OS to install when there seems to be a problem with the CD drive in the boot list.

What do you think?

Thanks again for the help. It is very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:30:04 AM EST
oneshot,

IIRC, you can't boot from the 98 CD. It's been so long, I can't remember. Could be that you can't boot from the 98, but could boot from the 98 Second Edition CD. If you have the floppy disk for the 98 setup, boot from that.

If you need the floppy disk but don't have it, check out www.bootdisk.com, they have images of bootable floppy disks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:37:42 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:30:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
win98 is not a bootable cd. it requires a boot floppy.

BEFORE YOU DO THAT FDISK THE DRIVE!

There are MANY Win98 CD's that are bootable.... if not most. I think the original upgrade CD's were not bootable. Every OEM 98 and 98 second edition I have is bootable.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:37:45 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:42:47 AM EST
As someone else said before, you have to use your XP CD. Turn on your computer and go into the BIOS and change it to boot from the CD, then HDD then your A drive. Most computers boot from A first.

XP and 98 use different files systems NTFS vs FAT32.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:30:44 PM EST

Originally Posted By gotm4:
XP and 98 use different files systems NTFS vs FAT32.

XP will use NTFS OR FAT32. 98 will use FAT32 OR FAT16. But that's neither here nor there.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:49:21 PM EST
Slick the hard drive.

Set the bios to boot from the CD drive.

Stick the win 98 disk in the drive.

At some point you will probably need Dell propritary drivers to make your laptop work corectly.
Top Top