Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/16/2003 11:16:57 PM EDT
Tell me your experiences with it, if you use it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:34:57 PM EDT
works ok. kind of slow as compared to downloading off newsgroups though.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:38:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2003 11:46:11 PM EDT by Airwolf]
Been working pretty well for me. I'm on DSL and it's been very, very good.

One problem. I got dinged by MPAA for D/L'ing a movie. Not for the D/L but they tagged me for the upstream side of the Torrent. The usual "you may have been sharing copyrighted material, if so please remove said material and refrain from further violations" yadda, yadda, yadda notice sent to my ISP.

My GF and I have D/L'ed a LOT of MP3's over the past year or two (probably 90% or more non RIAA stuff or out of print) via AudioGalaxy, eMule, WinMX, Kazaa Lite and never had ANY issues until this.

I've setup filters for all known MPAA/RIAA sites at my firewall and have stopped with the movies. GF does a lot of music still but its strictly non MPAA offshore stuff (Asia, Eastern Europe) and some US Indie bands and she's using SoulSeek exclusively now.

Most of what I'm doing now is TV shows. Bit Torrent is a great resource for that kind of thing.

Yeah, the speeds aren't the greatest sometimes but it sure spreads the load around much better than FTP does.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:48:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/16/2003 11:51:16 PM EDT by 45calmike]
!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:48:57 PM EDT
K++ (the hacked version of Kazza with RIAA server filtering) was okay for some stuff. It's interesting how Bittorrent was originally intended for distributing Linux ISO's. Now it seems to catching on as an alternative to mIRC (too much wait time on waiting list and DOS (slashdot.org seems to be flooding .torrent sites and disabling trackers) attacks on servers) and an alternative to Kazza (spyware and fake versions of mp3's being blended into the mix) I've also heard Shareazza is a little bit of Bittorrent and Kazza mixed in. I've found that contrary to what they say, your download is NOT or nearly NEVER proportional to your upload. Which Bittorrent client do you use?
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:25:26 AM EDT
My children uses it extensively. I will get them to write some input tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:12:41 AM EDT
Bit Torrent was a good idea for distro of new linux material. But recently RIAA saboteurs
have been uploading garbage files and launching DOS attacks on the tracker servers.

I have not used BitTorrent since a HDD crash a couple of months ago. Currently I am using an old 6Gb drive with no room for any downloads.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:13:24 AM EDT
I use it all the time for anime fansubs.

Works great slow compared to use net 24k sec via bitorrent on average vs 200k from usenet but I can get the ep as soon as it comes out vs waiting a few days for someone to post it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 1:33:37 AM EDT
bittorrent is ok, but torrentstorm is better

try suprnova.org for content
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:07:06 AM EDT
Mybrother the computer whiz uses it alot. He seems to really like it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:12:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:
My children uses it extensively. I will get them to write some input tomorrow.

-------------
I never use Kazaa (my dad doesn't want to get sued by RIAA) so I use BT. In my opinion I like to use BT more than Mirc because Mirc has so many different commands and fserves aren't alway reliable. With BT, I am able to download about 100-200mb movies within 1-3 hours using Shadow's Experimental Client. Anyway, the speeds on BT depend on how many peers and speeders there are. The more seeders and peers there are, the better :)
Btw, if you got a firewall, remember to open the right ports! I didn't realize that until a few months later because I use to download stuff for more than 10 hours!
Top Top