Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 5:58:32 AM EDT
  I have a HP ZV6000 Laptop and the drivelock password is "Missing" Can anyone tell me how to reset that ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I've read on this, I believe your only option may be to send it back to HP to get it unlocked.  It uses an ATA locking feature which stores the password data on a hard drive circuit board registry.  Thus, the computer cannot interact with the drive without that password (though your data is still safely on the disk unencrypted I believe).
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
  I have a HP ZV6000 Laptop and the drivelock password is "Missing" Can anyone tell me how to reset that ?

You mean BIOS password?
if so you gotta play with some jumpers on the MB to reset it
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you try pressing f10 on startup and resetting the password that way?

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:54:09 AM EDT
[#6]
According to HP:

Drive Lock
The Drive Lock password protects the data on your hard drive through encryption. If your computer is stolen, the data on the hard drive is inaccessible without the Drive Lock password. This password can not be reset. If it is lost or forgotten, the hard drive must be replaced.

Crap ! Please tell me there is another way ...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:59:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
According to HP:

Drive Lock
The Drive Lock password protects the data on your hard drive through encryption. If your computer is stolen, the data on the hard drive is inaccessible without the Drive Lock password. This password can not be reset. If it is lost or forgotten, the hard drive must be replaced.

there is always another way, or Backdoor as true hackers will say.
do a search for  "drivelock hack"  "drivelock password cracker" etc.
You COULD try astalavist.box.sk
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
According to HP:

Drive Lock

there is always another way, or Backdoor as true hackers will say.
do a search for  "drivelock hack"  "drivelock password cracker" etc.
You COULD try astalavist.box.sk

Problem is, no software can access the drive because the BIOS cannot access the drive.  You could take the drive out and put it in another computer and you will have the same problem.  The only solution is a hardware solution, such as replacing the circuit board or shorting specific jumpers on that board.  I don't know how to do that though and I doubt many people do.  There are some companies that charge money to supposedly unlock them.

It may be cheaper to buy a new drive.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
According to HP:

Drive Lock

pffft they always say that kind of stuff.

There's prolly a crack or work around.

google is your friend

eta:....see if there's anything here..

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_20423260.html
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#10]
You might be able to hack it open.. I'd give that a whirl, but just remember..

Death, taxes, and data loss.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:59:45 AM EDT
[#11]
if you cannot get into the computer due to the HDD lock you can remove the HDD and plug it into a regular PC you just need a converter which can be had for about $15.  Once you've done that then use the drivelock tool to unlock the drive...  should be easy enough.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
if you cannot get into the computer due to the HDD lock you can remove the HDD and plug it into a regular PC you just need a converter which can be had for about $15.  Once you've done that then use the drivelock tool to unlock the drive...  should be easy enough.

Won't work, I've tried this method before.  I've had this problem and a previous poster is correct, the BIOS has no access to the drive, it's blocked at the hard drive controller within the onboard circuits of the drive.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top