Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 7/21/2008 6:09:22 AM EST
Need a laptop, not sure what to buy. I want durability (carried in a backpack a lot), good battery life, light weight. Please chime in on:

Best processor (Intel Pentium, Centrino, Athalon, etc.).
How much memory do I need? (mostly word processing tasks).
A good brand.
What should I expect to pay?
Any other considerations.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:10:27 AM EST
get an apple, this is from a Dell laptop and desktop owner
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:10:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:32:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 6:42:20 AM EST by richkrajewski]
If you want durability, then the hard drive in any laptop is a major vulnerability.

I suggest this:

Get two inexpensive laptops. Then get two 8GB USB flash memory sticks. Load something like Sam-Linux onto one of the sticks (it will have a full suite of applications in the distribution already, and you can get rid of the word processor application and replace it with OpenOffice).

Now, boot from the flash memory stick, and back it up regularly to the other flash memory.

What you have done is reduced your reliance on breakdown-prone moving parts.

The second laptop is a backup, which is very handy to have when your main laptop breaks down in the middle of a report. In a pinch, however, because your entire system is on a little flash memory stick, you can just plug it into almost any other computer and keep working.

The biggest danger is the possibility of snapping off the flash memory stick by forgetting it's there and trying to be too mobile with your laptop.

If you want to increase your battery life like crazy, just disable the hard drive and remove it.

-- Rich

[Forgot to mention, always buy the big battery option, but if you can't, then just use a car battery booster and connect it to your computer's 12V power jack when you need more power. Might even be cheaper that way and you'll have tons of extra operating time.]

[To really save money, get an older laptop that will still let you boot from USB. Word processing doesn't take much computer power, so you don't need a super-fast, energy-eating, hot-running brand new laptop.]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:06:09 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/21/2008 7:06:49 AM EST by Milltown]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220231&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL012208&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL012208-_-LaptopsNotebooks-_-E4M-_-34220231

cna't beat the price, my brother bought one and I'm buying one in the near future.
Top Top