Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/19/2004 11:19:13 PM EST
I have an old laptop that I use for wireless surfing, and it has started to flicker and the "white out" for lack of a better term. I can restart it, and it looks perfect again. It seems the time between white outs is decreasing. Could this be video card or is it LCD? It isn't the backlight, and the screen still looks good, it is just all white.
Any ideas?
tony
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 7:03:46 AM EST
When video cards die, they do things like constantly freeze/reboot your system (an overheated video card will do that too), show "artifacts" such as random interspersed odd graphics that appear on one part of the screen for a moment, then later it happens again. Most commonly when a video card goes bad it just plain dies.

When an LCD screen goes out, it can do as you say...lose color quality, flicker, incosistent brightness, uneven color/brightness/clarity quality from one side of the screen to the other.

This is good news for you, laptops generally have a nonreplaceable video card, but some of these laptop repair houses are quite good at swapping out the screen for a few hundred dollars. Many people simply upgrade the whole laptop.
Top Top