Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2005 8:43:22 AM EDT
Could anyone tell me where to go or where I what program I would need to do graphic fonts such as the one on this flyer...

I would appreciate it, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you wanting to make fonts?
Or, are you just wanting to add text to a picture?
Everything in the pic you posted can be done in photoshop or any other decent image editor. You just need to buy some fonts, or download some freeware/shareware fonts if you arent doing it commercially.

Check out the Gimp for a free graphic editor nearly on par with photoshop.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#2]
You can easily do that with most graphic programs.. Corel Draw, Photoshop, even MS Paint will do it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah I have a lot of editing programs, I have pretty much the whole Adobe suite at my disposal, I just need places to get fonts or programs that can create them.

So where's a good place to get fonts like those from?

I'm particularly interested in the type like the Victory part of the Vengeance Over Victory band name on that poster, or just anything else that looks good.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump... I'd like some multicolor fonts too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd think that most of the fonts on there are from the bands' logos.  They probably just photoshopped the logos on to the flier.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, I actually graduated with a degree in Computer Graphic Arts and I'll tell you one thing. My Typography professor would be cringing at the use of those fonts .

He would have never let us use anything like that in a graphic design. Of course he was a very strict traditionalist and only liked using "timeless" fonts as he called them. Or at least stick with one or two fonts on a single design.

Anyway, to answer your question, I'm sure there are programs available that let you create fonts, but I don't know what they are and I've never used one. There are also a lot of free fonts you can download if you do a search on google and put in "free fonts". You might not be able to easily find the exact font you're looking for, but then again you might find something you like just as well or even better. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd think that most of the fonts on there are from the bands' logos.  They probably just photoshopped the logos on to the flier.

No they're not, thats one thing that I thought about, but they were different on the different flyers I was looking at.

I did end up finding some fonts and made a poster, I like it I guess, it does a good job.

I'm not bad with graphic arts, but I've never done anything that needed really different fonts before.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bump... I'd like some multicolor fonts too.

Theres no such animal, the color and outlines and such are all added in photoshop.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, I actually graduated with a degree in Computer Graphic Arts and I'll tell you one thing. My Typography professor would be cringing at the use of those fonts .

+1

gimmick fonts are a disaster. Because you would only need one for a single application, you're better off hand-drawing/vector drawing them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#11]
The whole poster itself looks like a vector drawing. The best way to "simulate" vector drawing in a raster program (like GIMP) is to use separate layers for each different color you need, paint each layer evenly with a single color, and then use layer masks to block out the parts of each layer that you don't want.
You can have a problem if you want to scale the image after it's completed though; vector formats don't lose quality when they are scaled.
~~~~~~~
Now then.
So you wanna make fonts?
----Fontlab is probably the premier editing utility now, it will edit pretty much any kind of vector font. It costs a lot, a few hundred US dollars. It can handle a lot of formats.
----There's another small one named Font Creator that will only edit truetype fonts, and it will not perform hinting. But it does work. "Hinting" means that if you use your edited fonts in something like MS WOrd, they will look horribly blurry--but most graphic programs can still render them ewll enough, and they will print100% perfect.
The programs I have are a few years old now, but anyway:
---Macromedia used to offer a great one called Fontographer. It hasn't been sold for 5-6 years now, and wasn't updated at all for a couple years before that. The last version released will not even run on a PC with more than 512 megs of RAM. I just got a laptop with 512 megs total, so I can use it again!!! (I'm so hoppy!) It can handle a lot of font formats as well. Some people have gotten it to work on some computers various ways, but I was never successful.
---And no doubt there are other programs out there also, but when I was buying, Fontlab and Fontographer were the Big Two. Font Creator is "just a cheapy" that I initially found and kinda liked.
---OpenType is a newer format (you may have seen in WindowsXP), but not one that you really need. Adobe and Microsoft at least both have a program that will create/edit OpenTye fonts, but I don't really know anything about these programs except that they cost a buttload of money. The advantages of OpenType are not significant as far as you are concerned; the old-fashioned truetype format will let you  put any -vector- picture you want into any character code. You can create a totally-new font from scratch, but it is easiest to just edit an existing freeware font file that only has the basic alphanumeric/punctuation glyphs. ....The main thing that OpenType can do is store a sort of programming code inside the font, that is based on applied conditions. For example: some languages change the form of a preceeding character, based on whatever character is typed following it. OpenType stores that conditional data and so programs can perform these changes automatically, very easily. Certain combinations of character forms simply aren't used in these languages, and OpenType data can point to an alternate combination form that is proper.

For English this ability is not important, as English doesn't use this writing convention (I forget which languages do, it's Arab or Chinese or somethin, some of them scribble-languages that nobody uses). There are other things this data storage can be used for, but that is the main one intended.

TrueType doesn't do that; tryetype just links a vector drawing with a keycode. There is no information stored in the truetype format that would allow such conditional analysis.
Truetype will not print "multicolor fonts" however. Some graphics programs have ways to set the outline and fill as different colors, but the colors are selected when you actually use the font, they are not "set" in the font file. Font files do not store color data at all.
~~~  
Aside from that, I can't help you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top