Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2016 1:30:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/11/2016 1:31:05 PM EST by TN-MadDog]
Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question, but here goes.

I bought a Gopro Hero 5 black a while back and my computer just is not up to editing these videos.

I have been having some issues with this computer since upgrading to Windows 10 any way so my first thought is to back everything up, wipe it, and start over to see if that helps.

Next would be to see if it would be possible to upgrade this computer to increase the ability to edit the videos.

I'm really hoping that I will not not have to get a new computer just to be able to edit gopro videos.

Any advise on what I should do?

Here are the specs on my current machine.

Oh, I don't know a lot about computer hardware so please go easy on me!

TIA

" />
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:23:46 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:44:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/11/2016 2:46:46 PM EST by TN-MadDog]
I have been recording in 1080.  

I had some short clips around 20 to 30 seconds and was able to edit and render them.

But last time I used my camera I had several clips that were about 5 minutes each.

Every time I tried to edit them my computer would run extremely slow or freeze up. I never got to the rendering phase.

I don't want to do a lot of in depth editing, just trim down several clips into one video to share via Youtube.

I don't care it it takes time, just want to be able to do it at all.

I'm just hoping it can be done without spending a huge amount of money.

Edited to add: I'm using the GoPro editing software.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:50:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/11/2016 2:53:03 PM EST by imq707s]
I ran into the same thing when I try to edit those large 1080p gopro videos. The files are usually huge, and it takes a ton of ram and processor to edit them. My PC has a big processor, and 16gb of ram....and I can still bog it down pretty easy. Not sure if there is a good fix other than spending a ton of cash on a new PC with even more ram and a bigger processor. Like others have said......there is a reason why people have to spend a ton of money on a PC they want to use strictly for video editing.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 2:55:10 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By imq707s:
I ran into the same thing when I try to edit those large 1080p gopro videos. The files are usually huge, and it takes a ton of ram and processor to edit them. My PC has a big processor, and 16gb of ram....and I can still bog it down pretty easy. Not sure if there is a good fix other than spending a ton of cash on a new PC with even more tam and a bigger processor.
View Quote

Thats what I'm afraid of after doing some research. Just a little bummed that I have this cool camera that I can't really use the way I want to because my computer is not up to the task.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:32:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

Thats what I'm afraid of after doing some research. Just a little bummed that I have this cool camera that I can't really use the way I want to because my computer is not up to the task.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I ran into the same thing when I try to edit those large 1080p gopro videos. The files are usually huge, and it takes a ton of ram and processor to edit them. My PC has a big processor, and 16gb of ram....and I can still bog it down pretty easy. Not sure if there is a good fix other than spending a ton of cash on a new PC with even more tam and a bigger processor.

Yeah....I feel the same way. Once I found out that its a royal pain in the butt to edit those hd video files.....its kept me from using the camera alot. I don't have 4+ hours to sit down and edit videos after everytime I use the camera.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:59:58 PM EST

Yeah....I feel the same way. Once I found out that its a royal pain in the butt to edit those hd video files.....its kept me from using the camera alot. I don't have 4+ hours to sit down and edit videos after everytime I use the camera.
View All Quotes

Damn, that sucks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 4:44:44 AM EST
I can't even playback the gopro videos on my computer. The 1080 videos from my camcorder do ok though. I have a newer i7 machine, but I haven't loaded the gopro software on it yet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:35:46 PM EST
Your motherboard only supports 16GB of memory, you could try and add 8GB, it may help.

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 4:00:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By Firefinder37:
Your motherboard only supports 16GB of memory, you could try and add 8GB, it may help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M7S84LU
View Quote

I might give that a try but I'm afraid that my processor just isn't going to be able to handle what I want to do based on the reading I have been doing.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:46:41 PM EST

I might give that a try but I'm afraid that my processor just isn't going to be able to handle what I want to do based on the reading I have been doing.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Firefinder37:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M7S84LU

Yeah, you need to up the processor speed and RAM big time. I've been doing some research in order to put together a machine that will handle some decent video editing. I think I'll be forced to drop close to $1,500 before I'm done. That's just enough to get by and do some fairly serious ameature editing. Anything near pro level will bog that machine down too.

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 8:52:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

Yeah, you need to up the processor speed and RAM big time. I've been doing some research in order to put together a machine that will handle some decent video editing. I think I'll be forced to drop close to $1,500 before I'm done. That's just enough to get by and do some fairly serious ameature editing. Anything near pro level will bog that machine down too.

View Quote

That is less than what I had been reading.

Is that for something off the shelf or are you talking about a diy project?

I really just want to be able to take the good parts of several recordings and splice them together into one video.

Nothing fancy, but my computer just is not able function under that minimum amount of editing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:06:21 PM EST

I really just want to be able to take the good parts of several recordings and splice them together into one video.

Nothing fancy, but my computer just is not able function under that minimum amount of editing.
View All Quotes

DIY. I was doing some more reading last night and once site that's somehow affiliated with adobe broke down a system that would be a couple dollars shy of 5K for what they recommend as a baseline. From everything I've read the rendering in Premiere is mainly working off of the CPU for most of the effects. I plan to skimp on the graphics card to an extent with that in mind. I already have a lot of storage and I'm not buying a monitor etc. so this is going to be a pretty bare bones hardware buildup.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:13:02 PM EST

DIY. I was doing some more reading last night and once site that's somehow affiliated with adobe broke down a system that would be a couple dollars shy of 5K for what they recommend as a baseline. From everything I've read the rendering in Premiere is mainly working off of the CPU for most of the effects. I plan to skimp on the graphics card to an extent with that in mind. I already have a lot of storage and I'm not buying a monitor etc. so this is going to be a pretty bare bones hardware buildup.
View Quote

That's what I was afraid of. Bummer.

I guess that I am going to have do some more reading and possible sell a kidney.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:14:27 PM EST

I guess that I am going to have do some more reading and possible sell a kidney.
View All Quotes

All of the youtube videos make putting together a PC look as easy if not easier than building an AR. I'm not nearly as intimidated as I once was.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:31:47 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:37:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By Zack3g:

To be fair, most of the parts only go in one way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zack3g:

All of the youtube videos make putting together a PC look as easy if not easier than building an AR. I'm not nearly as intimidated as I once was.

To be fair, most of the parts only go in one way.

The only thing which worries me is all of the "now this'll only break if you try to install it the wrong way" comments.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:48:38 PM EST

The only thing which worries me is all of the "now this'll only break if you try to install it the wrong way" comments.
View Quote

I believe that I could put one together.

What worries me is getting it fired up and running correctly.

Would you consider sharing the specs on what you are thinking of building?

At least what processor, how much memory, and what video card?

Just to give me a starting point.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:17:53 PM EST

View All Quotes

I'm not an expert at all, just a guy researching this to save a buck and continue a lifelong hobby.

That said, I know that I'm going with an I7 6700K CPU, probably some sort of GTX 1070 GPU, 32gig of ram and middle of the road stuff to support it. I'll take any suggestions on this as I have just enough knowledge to maybe get lucky with this. I do know that this machine will be night and day from what I'm currently on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:48:05 AM EST
I don't shoot RAW 4K video, and I doubt that I'll go with anything more than that in the foreseeable future. These days, I think it's hard to go wrong with a middle of the road GPU based off of several youtube videos I've watched lately.

For example:

Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:34:09 AM EST
I've been reading a bit and looking at parts prices to see what it would take.....

Do you think the 980i is worth the price difference over the 1070?

I don't know enough to interpret what I am reading when looking at the specs comparisons but they don't look that much different.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:07:38 AM EST
I've been reading a bit and looking at parts prices to see what it would take.....

I don't know enough to interpret what I am reading when looking at the specs comparisons but they don't look that much different.
View Quote

That's a great question. I've been struggling with what to do video card wise. It seems to me like I would never notice a difference with the 1070 or frankly, even a step or two lower than that with what I do. Again, I'm fumbling through this and attempting to read or watch whatever I can to make a budget machine that will edit 4K out of a gopro decently. Today I'll try to find out how much more demanding 4K RAW is than the 4K out of a gopro. I did see a graph recently which seemed to indicate that the codec that the gopro uses takes a lot more resources than others.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:45:35 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 4:25:33 PM EST

View Quote

Gaming wise, the 980Ti and the 1070 are more or less equivalent. I would buy the 1070 because it is newer architecture and more power efficient. Rendering time difference would be negligible.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:02:06 PM EST
Here are a couple of links which help to narrow down minimum hardware choices. I think I'm on the right track, but I really don't want choppy video when I'm done with this.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 10:57:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:13:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:51:45 AM EST
How about this set up? The company has good reviews

Or what other company would anyone recommend for a ready to go set up?

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:27:06 PM EST
I might make the leap and buy components tonight if I can find some good deals.

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:52:52 AM EST
How about this set up? The company has good reviews

Or what other company would anyone recommend for a ready to go set up?
View Quote

I could order that set up today (black friday) for $1390.71

Can't decide......
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:37:45 PM EST
Here's pretty much what I did in the last 24 hours. I hope it works out well. I have about $1,450 into this saving a few bucks here and there.

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:44:31 PM EST
Here's pretty much what I did in the last 24 hours. I hope it works out well. I have about $1,450 into this saving a few bucks here and there.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QqmtKZ
View Quote

That should be an awesome computer based on my research.

I pulled the trigger on the computer in my last post.

It damn sure better be able to edit gopro videos!
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 9:45:29 PM EST

View All Quotes

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QqmtKZ

You said it brother. I have the added hurdle of hoping that one of my nerd students can walk the walk when it comes to putting this thing together.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:41:18 PM EST
Posting from the new machine. Just got this up and running. I have yet to install the graphics card. It is a huge difference from what I was on before to say the least. I can't believe how fast windows boots off of the SSD. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:29:07 PM EST
OK, with the stock settings this thing does pretty darn well. I've edited a video this morning that would have taken HOURS to do with the last computer. I have the warp stabilizer going in premier for all 13min of footage I have and the rest of my programs are running like a top with that analyzing. This is the best. Thanks to everyone in this thread who contributed ideas etc. to this build.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:16:49 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/20/2016 1:23:39 PM EST by utahman]
I was in somewhat the same position and am very familiar with building my own computers, so for my workstation I built a Hackintosh specifically for video.

I've since upgraded the Video card to a Radeon 280X, which is a slightly older, but powerful video card that is stable in a Hackintosh and kicks butt on Final Cut Pro.
I wanted to be able to edit in 2.7K and combine footage from my GoPro and my Phantom 3 drone.

It works well.

Minus the monitor (2560x1440) it was sub $1,000.

Gratuitous example

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/cUeIdoT7y2NfTYTe0yf0YHFy7rXQKpjCiRO8B6vgwyt?t­ag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:51:11 PM EST
I purchased the one I linked to above on Black Friday. I have it set up and have edited a few videos with it. Works great! I do appreciate the help also.

I'm still using my old computer for every day use.

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:58:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By utahman:
I was in somewhat the same position and am very familiar with building my own computers, so for my workstation I built a Hackintosh specifically for video.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss207/Utahman92/OSX_zps3cdfa34e.jpg

I've since upgraded the Video card to a Radeon 280X, which is a slightly older, but powerful video card that is stable in a Hackintosh and kicks butt on Final Cut Pro.
I wanted to be able to edit in 2.7K and combine footage from my GoPro and my Phantom 3 drone.

It works well.

Minus the monitor (2560x1440) it was sub $1,000.

Gratuitous example

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/cUeIdoT7y2NfTYTe0yf0YHFy7rXQKpjCiRO8B6vgwyt?t­ag=vglnk-c102-20
View Quote

Nice video! Even with a good computer it still takes a lot of time to go through a bunch of video and edit it down to something reasonable.

Now that I am set up to do it, I need to learn more about my camera and about editing.
Top Top