Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/20/2005 9:04:57 AM EDT
I have this switch that I bought a while ago and had this computer and my daughters, up stairs, hooked up to it. I dusted off my old work laptop and installed Windows 2K so my son could use it. When I went to connect it to the hub, or switch, or what ever the hell it's called, now only one computer works on the internet at a time. I bought a 50 foot CAT 5 cable but even with that off and back to just mine and my daughters on, I can still only get one to have internet access at a time. It's like when I unplug the cable modem power and plug it back in, the first computer I access the internet with is the one that gets it and the others won't see a conection.

What I foul up?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:12:34 AM EDT
a hub or switch will not work for what your are doing. you need a router link

a router will allow 253 computer's to surf on a dsl or cable internet connection.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:14:31 AM EDT
Do you mean the router?

Try running the network setup wizard on all of the machines.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:30:24 AM EDT
Oh.

Thanks.

Why did this switch thing work with this and my daughters for the last 4 months?

Is because they both run XP?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:53:49 PM EDT
your isp(internet service provider) gives you 1 ip address to use for the internet(sounds like a dynamic ip). so it will work on one computer at a time.

to add another computer to the internet you must get a router then it will allow multiple systems to surf at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:18:27 PM EDT
Yep, you can get a 4-port router with a hardware firewall for $10 after rebates, it actually works out to about $15. My son got a D-link 604.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:20:04 PM EDT
Something must have changed with the way your ISP hands out IP addresses.

Switch, hub, and router work differently.

With a switch, your ISP sees each of the computers attached to the switch, and will have to assign each computer its own IP address.

With a router, your ISP sees only the router, and assigns it one IP address. The router sets up a network with all of the computers plugged into it, and the ROUTER assigns each computer its own IP address.

Looks like you need a router.

BTW, in the past I used a switch with 4 computers hooked to my DSL modem. No problem, and it will work that way now. However I now have a wireless router replacing the switch that was used previously.
Top Top