Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 8:01:25 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a computer hard drive software program that meets or exceeds DoD standards?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, .357 magnum or 5.56
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yup, .357 magnum or 5.56

I've found that 7.62, as launched from an M1, is an adequate solution, also.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but I need the computer intact afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Unhook everything but the CDrom and the HD you want to format. then throw in your XP disk in the CDrom and power it up andwindows should walk you right through it.

NOTE: make sure it is the only drive in there. I wiped the wrong HD a few years back.

hope that helps
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unhook everything but the CDrom and the HD you want to format. then throw in your XP disk in the CDrom and power it up andwindows should walk you right through it.

NOTE: make sure it is the only drive in there. I wiped the wrong HD a few years back.

hope that helps

This is reformatting, not wiping.  Totally different, and not what i'm looking for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I didn't say shoot the computer, remove the hard drive and destroy it, and put in a new one. That exceeds DOD standards, and a new quality HD will run you the cost of super-duper amazing software that still isn't as fool proof as a 5.56 or any round to the hard drive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.auburn.edu/oit/policies/edd_dod_compliant_apps.php

Nice list, thanks.  

You're welcome, the only software I've on the list is "Kill Disk" but even then I only used the free one, and that one isn't DoD compliant.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't say shoot the computer, remove the hard drive and destroy it, and put in a new one. That exceeds DOD standards, and a new quality HD will run you the cost of super-duper amazing software that still isn't as fool proof as a 5.56 or any round to the hard drive.

Actually, you can break a CD, DVD, or HD into as many pieces as you would like, and the data can still be recovered by some folks.  Not that I'm worried about those folks, I just want to sell the computer and not worry about some turd getting copies of all my stuff off the HD.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yup, .357 magnum or 5.56

I read somewhere not too long ago, Or maybe it was the news.

they (feds) have people why can still rebuild it after that. (I'm looking for the link) will post.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:15:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

hope that helps

This is reformatting, not wiping.  Totally different, and not what i'm looking for.

Ahhhh, Sorry. it does say DOD doesn't it LOL
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yup, .357 magnum or 5.56

I read somewhere not too long ago, Or maybe it was the news.

they (feds) have people why can still rebuild it after that. (I'm looking for the link) will post.

Oh yea?? What about whackin it with tracers before you light it on fire??

If information is that sensitve honestly, it stays in my safe.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#15]
killdisk

will that do for you?

Active@ KillDisk  Professional version  additional features:

All above-mentioned
US Department of Defense Data Security Standard DoD 5220.22 M compliant
Supports several erasing methods including the most secure Gutmann's algorithm
Data verification could be performed after erasing is completed

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Eraser utilizes the Guttmann, Pseudorandom Data, and US DoD 5220-22.M  methods of secure data deletion, and its free.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#17]
WDClear if you can find it.  Just run a variety and there won't be any reasonable way to get data off of it.

note I said reasonable, this problem can be solved by a flux in the time/money continuum
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top