Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 1:49:32 PM EDT
In the continuing saga of my new computer build, here goes!

Thermaltake Armour Jr mid tower case with see through side.

550 watt power supply

Intel D975XBX mobo, ready for CONROE

Intel Core 2 Duo (CONROE) E6600, 2.4g, 4m FSB

GeFORCE 7600 GT video with twin LCD outputs and HDTV ready.

2 gigs of PC6400 DDR2 memory

WD Raptor X Hard Drive, 150gb, 16meg bus (side mounted to see plexi-topped HD through side of case)

QUESTION: I have not yet ordered the HD and I can save about $100 by doing "OEM" instead of retail box. Seeing as the drivers can be downloaded from WD's website and an SATA cable can be had for less than $20, should I go with OEM or retail.

ANY ADDITIONALY INSIGHT FROM THE GURUS OF THIS FORUM WOULD BE EXTREMELY WELCOME!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
With OEM hard drives all you'll get is just the hard drive. No screwes or cables.
But that should not be a problem.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I usually buy OEM myself. I've got more cables laying around than I know what to do with (my wife keeps bitching about that) and the drivers aren't necessary. For the SATA cable, most motherboards come with them, so you won't need to buy that either!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
With OEM hard drives all you'll get is just the hard drive. No screwes or cables.

Cables are cheap, and the case came with a BIG BAG of screws.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I usually buy OEM myself. I've got more cables laying around than I know what to do with (my wife keeps bitching about that) and the drivers aren't necessary. For the SATA cable, most motherboards come with them, so you won't need to buy that either!

What he said.  OEM just means (as far as Harddrives are concerned) that you get your drive in static wrap instead of a pretty retail box.  With no cables or screws.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
OEM hard drives are great.  

You should get SATA cables from your mobo package.  Most newer BIOS's are updated and can run your SATA drive without any drivers, but some can be picky.

Other than that, go OEM with the HDD.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And a new mobo comes with cables

Save the 100 beans for a bigger video card
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Just make sure the OEM drive has a 3 or 5 year warranty and not 1 year as some OEM drives do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

And a new mobo comes with cables heNow that's a great idea!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Go OEM if warranty is of no concern or if the warranty on OEM drives is the same as retail.  As usual check the fine print.

x156
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#10]
4 SATA Cables came with your motherboard.  Use the Black connectors (Not Blue) on the motherboard.  In fact you already have all the other drive cables you'll need in that box.  And all the drivers you need are on that floppy that says Black connectors.  There is also a CD in ther if you're not putting in a floppy drive.
Most newer power supplies will connect directly to a SATA HD.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just make sure the OEM drive has a 3 or 5 year warranty and not 1 year as some OEM drives do.

Most OEM drives warranty will not be honored, you'll have to attempt to deal with the guy you bought it from, as you're not an OEM, and good luck with that.

So if a hassle free warranty is important to you, retail box is the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most OEM drives warranty will not be honored, you'll have to attempt to deal with the guy you bought it from, as you're not an OEM, and good luck with that.

+1 Although I think I had an OEM IBM deathstar die on me, and I had it replaced through warrenty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had good luck with them. If you've got the screws and cable, it's usually worth it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I've purchased many OEM drives.  Never had a problem.  They usually outlast the computer technology.

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#15]
God, I love this place!

Thanks to you all for your contributions of expertise. Does anyone see any "bottlenecks" in what I have listed above? ie: too much of one thing not supported by another? etc?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#16]
OEM Seagate drives offer a 5 year warranty
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:06:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
God, I love this place!

Thanks to you all for your contributions of expertise. Does anyone see any "bottlenecks" in what I have listed above? ie: too much of one thing not supported by another? etc?

Whats the brand/rating of the memory? Generic memeory can kill your performance, or it could be fine.
I'd spend a few extra bucks and get name brand with good geek reviews, and not take the gamble.

Other than that, I don't see anything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+1 to that.

By the way, what size drive you getting that you can save $100 on a HD?

You can get a 250GB SATA2 with 16mb cache for $80.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#19]
You are probably going to have to go with OEM if you want more than a 1 year warranty. Especially with WD, their upper end OEM drives have 3-5 year warranties. Their retail drives only have one unless you get one of the enterprise series drives.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm thinking a glass-top Raptor X right now. The case has a side-mount kit specifically made for the Raptor X that puts the HD right in front of the front fan and also allows you to see into the Raptor because the glass top is positioned right in front of the see-thru side of the case.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 to that.

Has anyone ever used the warrenty on a drive?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 to that.

Raptors are a different ballgame.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:45:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Read the reviews on NewEgg.  Apparently some people get short-lived drives.

I had a girlfriend that had a WD drive fail with a few day's warning.  WD replaced the drive without hassle.  In nearly 20 years of (modern) computer ownership, I've never personally had a drive fail.  Maybe I'm lucky?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 to that.

Once out of about 9 purchased drives.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yes, twice.  Both were Western Digital OEM drives I used in building my own puters.  No problems with warranty coverage, warranty is by serial number of the drive, mine were not bootlegged from dell, gateway, etc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope... That is not correct.

I have had OEM drives fail and the warrenty was handled through me never had a problem. They never asked for anything but the drive serial number to check the manufacture date then they OKed the return.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 to that.

The drive he is looking at is a 10,000 rpm high performance drive and is therefore more expensive.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:27:49 PM EDT
[#29]
where are you ordering your e6600 CPU from?

i've had one on back order from buy.com since august 8th.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
where are you ordering your e6600 CPU from?

i've had one on back order from buy.com since august 8th.

I got mine in a combo of Intel mobo and cpu from Tiger Direct

They came in separate packages and I had to buy the fan separately $19 because the CPU came as OEM too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:15:08 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had OEM drives fail and the warrenty was handled through me never had a problem. They never asked for anything but the drive serial number to check the manufacture date then they OKed the return.

Guess what? Your ONE personal experience... does not make something fact.
And I said MOST. Do you know what that means?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess what? You are just plain WRONG. Do you know what that means?

Reading comprehension is necessary... drives is plural. Do you know what that means?

I have had quite a few experiences returning OEM drives involving 3 manufactures and not one problem, not one question on where I got the drive all they wanted was the serial number … I built every computer used in a small company for 10 years using OEM drives purchased online exclusively and have built many many computers for others using OEM drives.

Maybe the manufactures don’t like just you…
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess what? You are just plain WRONG. Do you know what that means?

Reading comprehension is necessary... drives is plural. Do you know what that means?

I have had quite a few experiences returning OEM drives involving 3 manufactures and not one problem, not one question on where I got the drive all they wanted was the serial number … I built every computer used in a small company for 10 years using OEM drives purchased online exclusively and have built many many computers for others using OEM drives.

Maybe the manufactures don’t like just you…

Jesus christ.
Why can't you understand what I'm saying?
YOUR experiences do not in any way guarantee that someone else may purchase an OEM drive, bring it home, run the serial and find a full warranty staring them in the face.
Is that really particularily hard to understand for you?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:49:28 AM EDT
[#34]
OEM is not a problem, just buy it from a reputable source to make sure it hasn't been banged around in the storage room or something.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#35]
did my build last night

Conroe 6400
975xbx mobo
2 GB PC6400 memory
two 74GB raptors in Raid 0
two 320GB Seagate 7200.10 Barracudas in Raid 0
x1900xt GPU

I learned more about computers in the last 24 hrs than I knew in my entire 36 years

edit - all of the drives are OEM
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm always suspicious of the (lack of) padding/cushioning and how the drives are handled with "OEM" drives (newegg's always smashed on one side bubblewrap for example).  I try to buy retail packaged ones for the most part.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top