Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2011 7:29:45 AM EDT
I FINALLY GOT THE PIECE OF CRAP TO BOOT UP AFTER SEVERAL ATTEMPTS WITH THE SAFE BOOT REPAIR MODE!

How do I shut off the automatic update feature?

Thanks for all the help.

When I fired up my laptop this morning it gave me the following message:

"Configuring Updates stage 1 of 3"

Updates 1 and 2 processed fine, but it won't complete update 3. I get the following message:

"Configuring Update stage 3 of 3 - 0% Complete" " Do not turn off your computer"

This message stays on the monitor for 4-5 minutes and then the computer will cycle as if it's doing the normal
boot up. Then the same message appears on the monitor again:

Configuring Update stage 3 of 3 - 0% Complete" " Do not turn off your computer"

It's been cycling through this same process for over 2 hours. I did a forced shutdown, but the same message popped up again when it powered up and it's been doing the same thing for the past 30 minutes.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, it's Microsuck Vista
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Well since it is "Miscrosuck", then I guess that is all the help you need.

Try safemode, F8 and roll back to an older install.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#2]
maybe a possible bad harddrive. try hitting f8 before the windows screen comes up and select run the last known good configuration.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#3]
No luck...there goes all of my financial data for the past 6 months
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:50:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Always back up your important data to an external harddrive or to an online storage. I use Dropbox http://www.dropbox.com/
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#5]
How about booting in safe mode and just opening the action center under updates and cancel the particular update that is giving you issues?
Speed

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Always back up your important data to an external harddrive or to an online storage. I use Dropbox http://www.dropbox.com/

I have an external drive that crash last week. Ironically, I fired up my laptop this morning to backup my financial data to a new external drive I bought last night...what are the odds...

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How about booting in safe mode and just opening the action center under updates and cancel the particular update that is giving you issues?

Speed  

I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Time to call in a favor from a nerdy friend.  Your data can be recovered.  I just saved my sisters data by booting linux from her cd drive.  I accessed her windows data, saved it, and then fixed her screwed up windows OS.

Those nerdy friends can come in handy sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to download a Vista recovery disc. How do I find out if I need the vista 32bit or vista 64 bit recovery cd?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
turn it off and back on. You may have lost your signal somewhere along the way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Boot to safe mode, turn off automatic updates and back up your data.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Time to call in a favor from a nerdy friend.  Your data can be recovered.  I just saved my sisters data by booting linux from her cd drive.  I accessed her windows data, saved it, and then fixed her screwed up windows OS.

Those nerdy friends can come in handy sometimes.

Hopefully you take care of your "nerdy" friend.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top