Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/16/2011 7:18:46 PM EST
So, a bud and I were just texting about my plans for building a tacticool bolt gun now that my tacticool AR is about done. I was lamenting how much it's gonna cost with the Badger Ordinance magwell, Mcmillan stock, sweet glass, bbl threading for a can, etc that I want.

Buddy: "So when are you planning on dong this?"

Me: "I should wait a while since I just spend about 2k on the AR... And by that I mean next week. Wait, nevermind. I have to wait until that new Magpul video comes out. I can't go spending a couple grand on a stupid ass bolt gun just to realize fuckin' Costa has better shit than me."

So my advice to the hive: Don't buy anything until the next Magpul video comes out. You'll just get pissed. If you don't want to be pissed about your gear purchasing decisions, just watch Gabe Suarez or his weird Spetnaz buddy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:32:28 PM EST
Or, you could take a look at all the available options out there, and buy what suits your needs the best & you can afford.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:35:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
Or, you could take a look at all the available options out there, and buy what suits your needs the best & you can afford.

get the fuck out of here

only the brand of the week can work
anything else is junk
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:39:06 PM EST
Hasn't Chris Costa deliberately taken to wearing and using stuff that is no longer in production just to mess with people like that?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:43:13 PM EST
Originally Posted By Mclovin5-0:
Hasn't Chris Costa deliberately taken to wearing and using stuff that is no longer in production just to mess with people like that?

No way, huh? I haven't noticed. Then again, I don't do dress up. I'm sure someone here can weigh in.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:44:20 PM EST
Less focus on gear, more focus on training....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:44:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:

get the fuck out of here

only the brand of the week can work
anything else is junk

That's what I'm sayin'. I had to ditch my Bushmaster m4a2 and get a Spikes that looked like Costa threw up all over it because of this place.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:46:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By juan223:
Less focus on gear, more focus on training....

Yeah, I know. We actually go out and shoot quite a bit. I just don't want to plunk down 2k on a rifle and realize it could've been a lot nicer for 2.5k.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:00:45 PM EST

First post and all that
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:13:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:15:15 PM EST

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:19:50 PM EST
Just remember you can forego the special finish Costa uses on his stock to withstand the abrasion from his beard hairs. That should save you at least a grand.

He used to shoot his stock out before his barrel until a team of coked up NASA scientists working round the clock perfected the coating.
The comb would look like a swayback horse by 3000 rounds but he'd just keep packing the cavity with more and more Israeli bandages to maintain a cheekweld until the stock finally snapped around 4000.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:35:30 PM EST
People have been shooting precision rifle for 140+ years, I wonder what they did before they had pop culture icons to get boners over.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:36:57 PM EST
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
People have been shooting precision rifle for 140+ years, I wonder what they did before they had pop culture icons to get boners over.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:39:42 PM EST

Boners make prone position more difficult.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:40:21 PM EST
This thread is very homosexual.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:41:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By AJE:

Pivot position?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:41:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By AJE:

Tell me about it. No more girls at the range.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:51:13 PM EST
Less focus on gear, more focus on training team memberships....

FIFY
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:56:37 PM EST

They probably spent their time actually practicing their trade as opposed to keeping up with the Joneses. I'd put my money on a good ole country boy who has spent the better part of his life out in the bush stalking and shooting living critters on a regular basis with his 30-06 over the gear nerd who thinks $$$ is the solution for his poor technique.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:12:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By Charging_Handle:

They probably spent their time actually practicing their trade as opposed to keeping up with the Joneses. I'd put my money on a good ole country boy who has spent the better part of his life out in the bush stalking and shooting living critters on a regular basis with his 30-06 over the gear nerd who thinks $$$ is the solution for his poor technique.

Very true. Cannot tell you how many times i have seen people just dump more money into things then bitch that ammo is too expensive and not even shoot much. A mechanical device does not make up for a lack of skill and a lack of desire to learn how to use your weapon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:17:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/16/2011 11:17:34 PM EST by MK262]

OMFG. That's awesome.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:19:04 PM EST
this thread reeks of ghey mancrushness.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:21:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By Jacobdw:
Less focus on gear, more focus on training team memberships....

FIFY

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:27:29 AM EST

Stop making sense!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:17:13 AM EST
Be gentle on these people. They help keep the economy going. Latest car, gun, video game, iPod etc.

BTW, my sniper rifle is a real Mosin Nagant M91/30. It is in original condition with an original PU scope on it. It is also sub MOA with Priv-Partizan 150 grain SP bullets. I am not a great shooter so I would like to see how it does with hand loads, a betters scope and a better shooter at the trigger. As mentioned above, it is as much the shooter as the rifle. It is not a good as some of the modern rifles, but it can still reach out quite a ways.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:17:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By MIDGAPATRIOT:

Stop making sense!!!!!!

There is simply no place for logic in the GD. Damn intellectuals

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:21:30 AM EST
Nominate this thread for Ghey Thread of the Week

Who will Second?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:40:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By USMC6177:

Who will Second?

Seconded
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:47:20 AM EST
Originally Posted By jmarkma:

Who will Second?

Seconded

all in favor? say aye
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:55:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Normal_Guy:

Originally Posted By MIDGAPATRIOT:

Stop making sense!!!!!!

There is simply no place for logic in the GD. Damn intellectuals

college boy showing off his brain and all that shit
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:01:36 AM EST

Who will Second?

I second
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:18:06 AM EST
The meaning of this escapes me. Unless it is like man jewelry, in which case I have seen you guys before.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:23:18 AM EST
i hope he touches my rifle i hope he touches my rifle
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:42:08 AM EST
aye
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:02:51 AM EST
btw, when is the videotape being reliased?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:11:21 AM EST

This isn't a new phenomenon. How many baby boomers do you think bought a 1911 because of WWII movies, or a lever-action rifle or SAA after watching Roy Rogers?

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:12:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
btw, when is the videotape being reliased?

They use dem der DVD's now gramps
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:20:16 AM EST
COSTA??? Didn't he use to post here?
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:29:19 AM EST
Or you could start idolizing Todd Hodnett and buying all the gear he has/recommends as he is the one actually teaching the class in the upcoming DVD.

Invest in gear that is quality and will not fail you either on the flat range or on the battlefield. Trying to keep up with the ninja gear that the Magpul guys run is like Somalia getting in an arms race with the USA. You have one tricked out top of the line AR, they both have 6, with them and another 6 in the safe at home. Same goes for everything else. Don't drive yourself crazy, or bankrupt.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:33:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By Beltfedleadhead:

This isn't a new phenomenon. How many baby boomers do you think bought a 1911 because of WWII movies, or a lever-action rifle or SAA after watching Roy Rogers?

All firearms with WELL established track records WELL before the baby boom generation. Also very commonly owned items regardless. One of those firearms had been through 2 word wars, and two of them were the guns that one the west and were made by the millions (there's over 7.5 million Winchester model 94's produced alone!)

Chances are people went and dug them out of the closet, of dug through Grandpas stuff instead of rushing out and buying new.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:43:27 AM EST
Rem PSS in either 308 or 300WM I went 308 because at the time I had all the M118LR that I could shoot for free and no 300WM
AI Stock off of Snipers Hide 850, guy didnt like it because it was black, get the folding stock just so you can take your bolt out and not mess up your cheek rest.
NF Navy Spec 5.5X22
Gemtech HVT
Conversion of extractor to "M16" style

Who cares what Costa has, says, does.

This is a rifle that will do anything you want and by the time you shoot it out, you might be good enough to have to consider spending money on a blueprinted action and all the other issues like worrying about the moons gravitational effect on your bullet

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:55:51 AM EST
Built a solid rifle and leave the toy of the month crap to the guys peddling it on yourtube. You dont need any of that crap to build a good rifle. You just need a good gunsmith who knows wtf he is doing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:57:48 AM EST
Rule #1: You cannot have anything as cool as Costa has. He has all the cool stuff. ALL OF IT. And if you go copy his gear, he will have stuff custom made so you don't have it.

Rule #2: See Rule #1.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:00:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/17/2011 6:00:47 AM EST by Combat_Jack]
I agonized over the decision of what rifle to buy. I ended up getting an AI AW, realizing that it will never be perfect, but it will off no drama performance for the next hundred years.

I don't particularly care for Chris Costa anyway.

ETA: Badlattitude has a great post.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:02:52 AM EST
Top Top