Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2001 6:06:01 PM EDT
How does a 9mm AR (Oly, ASA, Colt) at ~$700+ compare to an HK 9mm at ~$3000? I can't imagine anything shooting much more sweetly than an Oly 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
For $3000, I assume you're talking about the semi-auto-only HK94, not the select-fire MP5.  For semi-auto fire there's virtually no difference.  It's in the full-auto mode that the MP5 is, in my experience, noticeably superior.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I am talking about semi-auto only. So, yes then, the HK94. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:38:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The Colt 9mm SMG is a great weapon. If you are used to your AR controls the SMG is the same except for the longer stick mags. It should be second nature.

Now if you really want to compare the Colt SMG to a HK MP5, I find to favor the MP5, awesome weapon. Very reliable and very accurate if you practice. It can be configured in so many ways, it's really the top of the line as far as SMGs go. Unless you like .45 then take a look at the UMP, WOW. Is this a dept weapon? If not are we then comparing a HK 94 to a Colt 9mm semi? If that's the case then price is a BIG factor to consider. Go the COLT route. You won't be dissapointed either way. The HK 94 can also become the platform for a MP5 later down the road. (legally of course) Both will then appreciate, but the HK 94 may rise quicker in value.

Hell I am looking for a Colt 9mm upper right now as it is the cheapest way to get quality in a 9mm Semi. Carbine. If only I had that $3,000 though......
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Our entry guys got rid of all their Colt 9mm SMG's due to age.  They liked them fine until they got to play with MP5's- no comparison.  For a semi-auto carbine, though, the Colt is fine, and quite a bit cheaper.  HK parts are really goddamned expensive and hard to find, too, if you're not a police department.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 3:58:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Never fired an MP-5. They probably are the primo 9MM SMG.

I own a Colt 9MM set-up and had it initially set-up with a factory Colt 9MM conversion (10.5", ...). Ran great, but a little jumpy and not as controllable as it should have been for an 9MM.

Wanted to suppress it and keep it compact, so I got rid of the Colt upper and got a Gemtech Talon-SD suppressed upper.

VERY quiet with sub-sonic ammo, and what a pussy-cat to fire. Made one heck of a difference. VERY controllable.

AR-15/M-16 platform is still the most versatile and economical. Perfect for the average/non-professional shooter.

MP-5 must be heaven.

Colt set-up is prettier, though. [:D]

[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=258760&a=13421952&p=52238933[/img]

Link Posted: 10/23/2001 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#7]
one down fall to the mp5 isit doesn't have a last round hold open like the colt and in the standard reload procedure you lock the cocking tube back then insert the mag then slap the tube forward the colt insert a mag and hit the bolt release and you are back on target.  I did love shooting the mp5 it is "the cadaliac of smg's"  but for the price go with the ar

john
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#8]
The HK operates by delayed blowback as opposed to standard blowback, read this as SMOOOTH!!!  I have owned both but sold the HK [whacko], it was a simple matter of economics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top