Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/2/2005 10:19:45 AM EDT
Nissan? Mazda? GM? Which one? I'm talking about a 4 cylinder engine. My full size Dodge Ram with the V-8 is killing me!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:25:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 10:33:02 AM EDT by EPOCH96]
Toyota Tacoma

They're expensive, but dependable, rock solid, and not too bad on the MPG...

Here's some in the Afghan Sandbox. No mechanic for miles and gas quality is piss poor. Still the SF guys picked stock Toyota's. Partially because, Yoda's a really popular over there and they are trying to blend in. Nothing screens TARGET like a big ol' humvee

According to a few websites, they are really happy with their performance over there. Will have to look for the articles.

ETA: when I trade in my Dodge pickup truck, it will be for a tacoma or a small SUV

here's an articleabout them...

When I first saw these pictures as emailed to me by John H. and later Randy G., I assumed these were simply local
Afghanistan Toyota Hilux trucks being used by our American Special Forces in country. But when I took a closer look
and saw that they were in fact "real" Toyota Tacomas, built in Fremont, California, it completely blew me away.

What makes this so significant is that there are major differences between the Tacoma which is exclusively sold in the
United States and Canada and nowhere else and the Hilux trucks which are sold everywhere else in the world, including
the ones used by the Taliban and the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan The Tacoma uses an entirely different suspension
and frame and some (including myself) have questioned it's strength compared to the older Toyota trucks and the current
Hilux. From these photos we can see that the Tacoma is being used under perhaps the harshest conditions imaginable
for a truck and with very heavy loads, and they are apparently being used in combat! There is no greater test for a 4x4
than how it performs in both desert and mountainous conditions in actual combat. While this is the expected norm for
any other Toyota it is very impressive to see that even the Tacoma can live up to the Toyota name. And it's nice to see
that our troops believe the Tacoma is tough enough to put their own lives on the line with it. No doubt, the Tacomas are
holding up despite some questionable design features of the frame and front end.

So, the obvious question is, why ship brand new Tacomas all the way from the United States, when Middle East, Europe
and Asia is full of Hilux trucks, which include a heavier duty frame, suspension and diesel engines. The answer is that
was simply easier for the Special Forces to buy them from local U.S. dealers, outfit them as they needed and ship them
over. The reason why the 4 door Tacoma was chosen as the vehicle, is because Toyotas are very popular in Afghanistan
and they would not stand out as much as the Humvees. In addition, the gas V-6 engines are much quieter than the diesel
engines of the Humvees and other military transport vehicles and better suited to daytime and nighttime covert
operations. Finally, the Tacoma is a durable and reliable 4x4.

From Mr. Slim, via email: A lot of the trucks came from Fort Campbell. Some of the mods Including all interior and
exterior lights and door buzzers disconnected along with the radios. Roll cage and mount for an M60 machine gun, WARN
winch, cheap brush guard, and 2 antenna mounts. The 3.4 V-6 engines had no mods. that I know of. One of the coolest
things is that the front lights were changed to infrared for night vision.

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:26:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 10:27:23 AM EDT by MTUSA]
DO NOT buy a Detroit 4 banger.

If you're in that market you MUST go JAP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:30:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MTUSA:
DO NOT buy a Detroit 4 banger.

If you're in that market you MUST go JAP.

I agree. I've had a Sonoma and an S-10 and both were pieces of shit. Sad but true.

What kind of mileage are these Jap 4-bangers getting?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:32:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:32:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ABNAK:
Nissan? Mazda? GM? Which one? I'm talking about a 4 cylinder engine. My full size Dodge Ram with the V-8 is killing me!

I have a Nissan and I get about 18mpg average. I drive too fast on the hwy to see any milage benefit that way.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:33:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 10:35:34 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
I have never seen a pickup truck that got over 20mpg or so. Even light, little 4-bangers. It's weird. Must have something to do with the aerodynamics, maybe. I think a Ford Ranger might get slightly better than 20.

But if they had a small truck that got 30mpg, I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:35:09 AM EDT
My dad has a older (00 maybe?) Tacoma standard cab 4x4, auto xmission with the 4 cylinder engine. I don't think the same configuration is offered with the 2005 model but they're listed as getting 21/26hwy.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:35:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 10:52:39 AM EDT by deej86]
Tacoma or Colorado.

Edited again-Damn I can't spell.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:37:29 AM EDT
Tag for home (unfortunatley)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:39:03 AM EDT
My 89 Mazda B2600 4x4 got 14-17mpg--------

My 94 C1500 Silverado 350 TBI gets 16-20mpg with 3 times the ballsack...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:40:18 AM EDT
My 4x4 V6 Tacoma is getting almost 21mpg on the highway. That's at an agonizing 60 mph.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:43:23 AM EDT
I can be a Dodge Dakota won't make the list...my mileage sucks looter ass!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:45:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dvr9:
I can be a Dodge Dakota won't make the list...my mileage sucks looter ass!

+1

My R/T Dakota is getting just under 12 mpg right now. If I hit work traffic or an accident in Dallas it drops to single digits. GOD I HATE MY 5.9L

EPOCH
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:50:49 AM EDT

Does a cap on the bed help the mileage any by modifying the aerodynamics? How bout letting the tailgate down? Does that really work?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:55:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/2/2005 11:05:03 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]

Originally Posted By BayEagle:
Does a cap on the bed help the mileage any by modifying the aerodynamics? How bout letting the tailgate down? Does that really work?

A cap on the bed might help. I've heard that leaving your tailgate down might actually make your mileage worse, but I don't know if any reputable tests have been done.

ETA: www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/1997/October/05.html
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:23:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BayEagle:

Good question. My dad has a Leer cap on his. I'll have to ask and see if he gets better mileage out of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:52:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:

I have a Nissan and I get about 18mpg average. I drive too fast on the hwy to see any milage benefit that way.

I've got a 98 Frontier XE King Cab 4X4. I'm getting about 19mpg. I looked into getting a double cab but the milage was even worse! IIRC 16mpg.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:58:08 PM EDT
1988 Ford Ranger Pickup 2WD
DISCLAIMER:
Average user estimates are based on data from Your MPG users rather than official sources. Since the source data cannot be verified, neither DOE nor EPA guarantees the accuracy of these estimates.

4 Cylinder, 2.0 Liter, Manual (5 sp)

Number of Vehicles: 1
Average User MPG: 25.0
Updated On: 08/29/2005

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:15:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cda24:

Originally Posted By WildBoar:

I've got a 98 Frontier XE King Cab 4X4. I'm getting about 19mpg. I looked into getting a double cab but the milage was even worse! IIRC 16mpg.

Actually my Nissan is 3.3liter Pathfinder. It barely got 16mpg but after switching to Mobil 1 it got better after 500miles or so. It did make a difference allthough a small one. Sure only about 2mpg but thats amost a whole days worth of driving extra per tank.

Since then I added a tranny cooler and switched to M1 syn ATF. Wont give me better milage but I have peace of mind knowing the trans is running cooler and healthy. Not like I really have to worry too much about my Nissan tranny giving me a problem, but a trans cooler and good ATF is a good insurance against it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:19:50 AM EDT
My '97 Ranger gets about 23 highway. 3.0 V6 and manual transmission. I hear the automatics do better.
Top Top