Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 10:31:37 AM EDT
Got a buddy that lives in the western part of the state about 300 miles away. We worked a deal on a pistol that he had and an upper that I have.  We are both residence of Tennessee so by Federal law we are suppose to be able to ship firearms, including handguns to each other by common carrier. Well, bottom line is that the POS common carriers don't care if Federal law says it ok, they have different rules that they play by.  Man, does this suck, looks like a 300 mile round trip for each of us(we'll meet in the middle at Nashville).  I wish the worst ass cancer that an angre God can whip up on UPS, FedX, et al for being such dicks about this.  Federal law should dictate their policies not some jerk in a 3 piece suit that doesn't even own a gun. Off my rant, thanks for letting me vent.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have never had any problem with FedEx.  They never even ask what is in the box.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL, I ask him if he wanted to ship "machine parts" to me but he's affraid that we'd get in trouble if they somehow found out.  I don't see what the big deal is.  Just field strip the peice, wrap it in paper and tape it up, put it in a box and ship it. We'd only be breaking the common carriers policy not any Federal laws but he wants to do it the "legal" way so I'll have to send him a copy of my local dealers FFL and go thru the hassel of the TIC's "insta check" system.  If you read the thread I posted on the Legal section of this forum you know what I'm in for with them.  Oh, I'll get the gun, but it'll take a week and I'll have to make a dozen phone calls to get a fire started under the TIC people to push it thru their legal dept.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty funny stuff.  I just received a pistol from an FFL via UPS that had bullets in the magazine that was in the pistol.  I checked the chamber half-expecting to see one in there too.  LOL.  And this was from an FFL!  I guess I can see the shippers reluctance.

For FedEx, put it in their carton and ship it.  They don't seem to care.  Just make sure it is unloaded first:)
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LOL, I ask him if he wanted to ship "machine parts" to me but he's affraid that we'd get in trouble if they somehow found out.  I don't see what the big deal is.  Just field strip the peice, wrap it in paper and tape it up, put it in a box and ship it. We'd only be breaking the common carriers policy not any Federal laws but he wants to do it the "legal" way so I'll have to send him a copy of my local dealers FFL and go thru the hassel of the TIC's "insta check" system.  If you read the thread I posted on the Legal section of this forum you know what I'm in for with them.  Oh, I'll get the gun, but it'll take a week and I'll have to make a dozen phone calls to get a fire started under the TIC people to push it thru their legal dept.  

Yes, intrastate transfers are legal in TN without going through an FFL. However, if I were the guy sending you the pistol I would still want to go through an FFL as unless I knew you personally for all anyone knows you could be a 15 year old kid with a computer and Daddy's extra upper. Nothing personal, mind you. Just CYA in the event something happened. And, on the other hand, as the receiver of your pistol I would want it to go through the NCIS check to make damn sure it was not stolen. Kind of works both ways as I see it. PITA? Yes, but worth piece of mind at least to me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I can see your point as to him not selling to a kid, but they don't run the gun here, just the person so there'd be no way to check to see if it's stolen or not on my part without contacting a LEA and asking them to check the SN to find out. That is a good point though, I wouldn't want to sell to someone that's underage either.  Of course, you're suppose to have an adult signature on any firearm shippment so that would cover his butt as far as to wether I'm legal age or not. I think it's more the Common Carriers wanting to Cover their butts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I may be mistaken here, but it is my understanding that when they run the NCIS background check they run the serial number of the gun. Is this not correct? Even if they do not run the serial number there is at least a paper trail leading back to the person who did have the gun before the buyer got it.

As for the adult signature required, I have seen posts on this very board and talked to some others where the carrier did not even bother to do that. There is a way around just about everything when you get down to it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I may be mistaken here, but it is my understanding that when they run the NCIS background check they run the serial number of the gun. Is this not correct? Even if they do not run the serial number there is at least a paper trail leading back to the person who did have the gun before the buyer got it.

As for the adult signature required, I have seen posts on this very board and talked to some others where the carrier did not even bother to do that. There is a way around just about everything when you get down to it.

When I run a NICS on a sale/transfer, the NICS operator verifies the identity of the person to whom I am transfering the firearm and type of firearm.  They do not ask for the serial number and they do not ask where the firearm came from.  NICS is not used to check if a firearm is stolen.  Only to verify if the person getting the gun is not prohibited by federal law from receiving the firearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top