Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 12/16/2003 2:11:06 AM EDT
Copied from awban.com

AWB Won't Survive the House Judiciary

There's no question that the AW ban will pass the Senate. What's critical is the House.

Right now, I genuinely believe that the ban will be killed in committees -- in this case, the House Judiciary Committee, which has jurisdiction over all gun control bills.

At the moment, the House Judiciary has 36 members -- 20 Republicans and 16 Democrats.

The grades, according to the exclusive Gun Owners of America, are as follows:

A range (A+, A, or A-)
Coble (R-NC), Smith (R-TX), Goodlatte (R-VA), Chabot (R-OH), Jenkins (R-TN), Bachus (R-AL), Cannon (R-UT), Hostettler (R-IN), Keller (R-FL), Flake (R-AZ), Pence (R-IN), King (R-IA), Forbes (R-VA), Carter (R-TX), Feeney (R-FL), Blackburn (R-TN)

B range (B+, B, or B-)
Green (R-WI), Hart (R-PA), Boucher (D-VA)

C range (C+, C, or C-)
Hyde (R-IL), Gallegy (R-CA)

D range (D+, D, or D-)

F range (F or F-)
Conyers (D-MI), Berman (D-CA), Scott (D-VA), Nadler (D-NY), Watt (D-NC), Lofgren (D-CA), Waters (D-CA), Jackson Lee (D-TX), Meehan (D-MA), Delahunt (D-MA), Wexler (D-FL), Baldwin (D-WI), Weiner (D-NY), Schiff (D-CA), Sanchez (D-CA)

This gives us a total of 16 A-rangers, 3 B-rangers, 2 C-rangers, no D-rangers, and 15 F-Rangers.

Of them, 11 have come out definitely against the ban, and nine more are likely to oppose it but have not yet stated as much. It's safe to assume, however, that since those who were there in 1994 voted against the ban and voted to repeal it in 1996, that they would vote against it now. That gives us 20 votes on a committee of 36 -- a 55% ironclad majority. The AWB ban will never see the floor of the House.

I know we cannot count on the people that voted against the ban and to repeal but I find it hard they would vote in a committee, where they are much less scrutinized, for extenstion.

Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:28:54 AM EDT
it will be a great day when we are freed from the ban
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:30:41 AM EDT
Could someone explain why it is expected to pass in the Senate?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:37:39 AM EDT
When the ban is gone(what a great that will be!!!!), what will we have to whine about? [;)]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:39:34 AM EDT
Those stats are not very assuring to me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:49:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: Could someone explain why it is expected to pass in the Senate?
View Quote
Yeah , I'd like to know too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:54:53 AM EDT
Just watch out it doesnt get piggy backed on something else.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:56:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jrzy:
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: Could someone explain why it is expected to pass in the Senate?
View Quote
View Quote
Because the Senate is more evenly split between parties and there are several RINO's who would likely vote for the ban as well. I can assure everyone that Bob Goodlate, who is on the House Judiciary Committee, (R-VA) will strongly oppose any form of renewal or new ban.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:16:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By captainpooby: Just watch out it doesnt get piggy backed on something else.
View Quote
That's what's gonna happen, and it will sail right through, and be signed by Bush, without ever even Seeing the Judicary committee!! [snoopy]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:27:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cougar8045:
View Quote
View Quote
Because the Senate is more evenly split between parties and there are several RINO's who would likely vote for the ban as well. I can assure everyone that Bob Goodlate, who is on the House Judiciary Committee, (R-VA) will strongly oppose any form of renewal or new ban.
View Quote
Yeah, John McCain is a Senator.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:00:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By liberty86:
Originally Posted By captainpooby: Just watch out it doesnt get piggy backed on something else.
View Quote
That's what's gonna happen, and it will sail right through, and be signed by Bush, without ever even Seeing the Judicary committee!! [snoopy]
View Quote
For somebody who spends so much time telling me to educate myself, you seem to have precious little understanding of how your own government works. First, under the House rules, the bill cannot be piggybacked on to another unrelated bill. It has to come through the Judiciary committee where it will be dead as a doornail. The Senate can tack this bill as an amendment to another bill (like say, lawsuit preemption); but when the bill is introduced to the House, it will still be reported out of the House Judiciary committee, where such changes are likely to be stripped out. If the two bodies pass different bills, then they meet in conference, where the House and Tom Delay will have the advantage. [url]http://thomas.loc.gov/home/holam.txt[/url]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 6:01:47 AM EDT
I was about to say the same thing, but not so eloquantly.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:21:42 AM EDT
View Quote
This is my concern as well. It'll be an amendment to some other bill and then passed with some hand-wringing but little else. Mike
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:18:41 AM EDT
I usually don't take part in these AWB repeal threads... But, what people need to remember is that nothing is ironclad and politicos make deals. While a rep may be against the ban, politically, it may not be a priority. They all make deals..."Look, you let this pass and we won't put up a fight when this bill comes up that will give your district ten million in grants." They are all shady... Don't think that just because Rep.X got an "A" from the NRA that he will vote our way.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:47:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AcidGambit: I usually don't take part in these AWB repeal threads... But, what people need to remember is that nothing is ironclad and politicos make deals. While a rep may be against the ban, politically, it may not be a priority. They all make deals..."Look, you let this pass and we won't put up a fight when this bill comes up that will give your district ten million in grants." They are all shady... Don't think that just because Rep.X got an "A" from the NRA that he will vote our way.
View Quote
That's where all of us come in by furiously writing letters to our reps stating in no uncertain terms what the consequences will be should they compromise us.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:49:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Cougar8045: I can assure everyone that Bob Goodlate, who is on the House Judiciary Committee, (R-VA) will strongly oppose any form of renewal or new ban.
View Quote
Can he stop last minute submissions of new legislation?
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:51:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2003 3:56:44 PM EDT by TheRicker]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:53:06 AM EDT
No one has answered why or how it will get passed in the senate? Where is this bill? Is it in comittee? Last I looked the Anti-gun democrats couldn't even get togeather on WHICH AWB replacement bill to back. And NONE have left their comitties in the Senate with less than 10 months left to go. Their may be RINOs that vote for a new AWB- but there are also at least 5 Southern Democrats who would never vote for it again. I do not think that there are 6 RINOS who would go against the party and risk being targeted by the NRA. Two or three maybe, but not 6.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:53:36 AM EDT
Popular group in the 70's, although I was more into the Who and the Stones. Always would hear acouple of their tunes at parties. CW
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:00:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By sherm8404:
Originally Posted By Cougar8045: I can assure everyone that Bob Goodlate, who is on the House Judiciary Committee, (R-VA) will strongly oppose any form of renewal or new ban.
View Quote
Can he stop last minute submissions of new legislation?
View Quote
I'm not sure what his ranking on the committee is or what power he has on the committee. I do know that he is absolutely 100% opposed to any form of gun control. He also does a very good job of listening to his constituants. He would be a very good point man for us in the House of Reps. If anyone would like to contact him, I's sure he would be all ears. Congressman Bob Goodlate 2240 Rayburn House Office Building Washington, DC 20515 202) 225-5431 202) 225-9681 fax
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:18:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/16/2003 9:26:42 AM EDT by Bartholomew_Roberts]
Where is this bill? Is it in comittee? Last I looked the Anti-gun democrats couldn't even get togeather on WHICH AWB replacement bill to back. And NONE have left their comitties in the Senate with less than 10 months left to go.
View Quote
S.448 - A stealth gun-control bill. Buries normal capacity magazine ban, gun show background checks and trigger locks in a bill called "Leave No Child Behind Act of 2003". Only 13 co-sponsors and stuck in Senate Finance Committee. S.1431 - Draconian McCarthy companion bill in Senate. Stuck in Senate Judiciary Committee. 8 cosponsors. S. 1034 - Feinstein's bill to extend existing ban to forever and ban import of normal cap mags. 12 cosponsors and stuck in Senate Judiciary Committee Heads up though, despite the fact that S.1034 is named "Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2003", a search of thomas.loc.gov using the phrase "assault weapon" failed to turn up the bill. I had to dig for the bill number and search on that. EDITED TO ADD: It is a lot easier to force bills out of committee in the Senate than it is in the House. So they can go from "stuck" to "unstuck" pretty rapidly. In the House, it takes a "motion to discharge" petition signed by a majority of the House to force a bill out of committee; but if the committee is smart they can report out a substantially changed bill than the one that was submitted. So far the Dems aren't serious about the assault weapons ban as they haven't even bothered to start the petition in the House.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 12:15:22 PM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
other than reasons already mentioned, the diffrences in senate size and operation makes the bill likley to pass. being so much smaller and more visable than te house, it is easy for the press(or groups of antis) to single out senators and attack them for thier position. your not likley to turn on the evening news and hear the 17 house reps responsable for killing the new bill, but you would certianly hear senators named specificly. also alot of senators are president wannabes and dont want to have "pro assualt rifle" available as fodder if they were ever to consider a run at higher office. PS, im not going to bother checking that for spelling and typos. its been a LONG week and its only tuesday (finals week)
Top Top