Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 6:54:38 AM EDT
Ever since Sept. 11 I have noticed a change in T.V. commercials.  They seam to be exploiting this tragedy for their own benefit.  

Example: GM saying America is strong and a times like these we all need to pull together, blah,blah,blah,blah.  So to show our support for America we offer 0.0% financing.  There are other examples as well.

I am all for capatilism and know we are in a resseccion but lately alot of advertisers seam to be taking advantage of this situation to cheesily promotee their products....and it disgust me.

Am I the only one that noticed this trend??
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ever since Sept. 11 I have noticed a change in T.V. commercials.  They seam to be exploiting this tragedy for their own benefit.  

Example: GM saying America is strong and a times like these we all need to pull together, blah,blah,blah,blah.  So to show our support for America we offer 0.0% financing.  There are other examples as well.

I am all for capatilism and know we are in a resseccion but lately alot of advertisers seam to be taking advantage of this situation to cheesily promotee their products....and it disgust me.

Am I the only one that noticed this trend??
View Quote

Amen, brother!  I don't mind companies that were directly affected by the attack (i.e. Morgan Stanley/Dean Whitter) going on the air to say, "Hey, we're still here and we will go on," but some of these ads are just plain tasteless.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#3]
It makes you want to watch the Cartoon Network, oh wait I do watch that.  Anybody that tries to capitalize on this is a heartless bastard.  Its their right though, but it doesn't mean we can't change the channel.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, if "Megaconglomerate Inc." really wanted to express their "Heartfelt Condolences" to the families and victims of the TT attack, they could have donated the money they payed for the stupid/transparent advertisement on National TV to the victims and family fund.
The sad part is all the "SHEEPLE" out there who saw it, and said "Oh, isn't that considerate of them". And pledged to go out and buy that new GM car, "to help out the country".
Make you wonder how we as a race, have survived this long being so gullable.....

Rich
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]
All I need to know is that Johnnie Walker is donating to the families of the victims, so I can do my patriotic duty and drink more blended scotch.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, as far as the automotive companies, they are being quite honest.  Due to the economy (which is partly because of the 9/11 events) the fed has given them funding to be able to offer the 0% financing to try to spark sales and kick start the economy.  

Lets all try to help out by buying more guns! [beer]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:32:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why hasn't there been a run of copies of the U.S. Constitution?
View Quote

GOOD QUESTION!!!!!

Here you go folks...and only $5!!!!

[url]http://amos.catalogcity.com/cc.class/cc?main=catalog&pcd=1391561&ccsyn=1[/url]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The Onion had a short piece about this topic last week: "After Years of Silence, Dinty Moore Weighs in on the Sept. 11 Attacks" or something like that.  Hilarious!

I don't blame marketers for wanting to cash in on all the rampant patriotism.  Hey, the flag makers are making a killing.  Do you hate them for it?  The commercials are in poor taste, but then, isn't that just reflect America in the first place?  I've driven by enough rural homes with windmills, gnomes, windsocks, fake geese, fake flamingoes, the silhouette standing beside a tree, the old lady bending over to pick flowers, etc.  (All in the same yard, mind you) to know that Americans have really, really, awful bad taste.

We have bad taste in beer (Budweiser), in our films (can't even begin to list), in the way we decorate our homes (see above), in the guns we buy (Smith & Wesson), in the cars we drive (mini vans), the food we eat (name your favorite fast food shithole), and in the people we elect to offfice (Red Davis, Diane Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, anyone named "Kennedy").

So why do commercials with bad taste offend you?
America is that land of decadent, bad taste.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Companies advertise to promote their product(s), so of course they are self-serving.  The patriotic ads are better than what they were running before, i.e. "Do it cause it feels good or makes you better than the next guy".  
Two good things can come out of these ads:  1)  People buy stuff, which is good for the economy.  2)  Maybe the sheep will be imbued with a sense of patriotism and a sense of something bigger than themselves.  
The rest of us will laugh at the sheep putting antenna flags on their new Chevys.
And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Trickshot on something[:D]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#11]
And, from the disgustingly liberal, "sell your mommas soul" for another story....a scoop....a chance.... another trajedy......one more show..... tv and media types you expected exactly what may I ask?????????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top