Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 10:55:15 AM EDT
I read in a post recently that few Jews serve in the military...  Well, I think that many vets probably think that this has to do with mental or, physical inferiority as well as cowardess on the part of Jewish Americans.

But I think that it might have something to do with the fact that, first, Jews are a minority to begin with, but mainly the fact that there is a lot of Anti-semitism within the ranks of the U.S. military...this is well known among Jews so many stay away from the military path. I can speak of this anti-semitism from personal experience.  I won't go into detail about the ways in which I was ostracized, but I will say that even after I proved myself to be a capable leader, I was still kept at arms distance by other recruits, and yes, it was because I was a Jew and not because I smelled funny.

These experiences didn't make me stop loving my country or discourage my desire to be a Marine, but I do think that it has had the effect on many other Jews whos convictions and motivation might not have been initially as stong as mine.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't see any of that, Scipio, which is not to say that you didn't. I heard a lot of "raghead" references around the Desert Storm period, but don't recall any references to any Jewish-oriented insults, and you know the ones I mean.

I was always in support units, being a comm pogue, and maybe things were different where you were. I'm a blond haired, blue eyed six footer, and I never got recruited for any kind of Aryan bullshit, or heard of any, except that the Army had a problem with it in the early 90s at Fort Bragg.

Do you have any specific incidents you'd care to share?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Racially theres really not much difference between Jews and Greeks, Italians, or even some Poles/East European groups.  Hell, I've seen a few Irish guys that looked Jewish.  You can argue that they come from a different region of the world or whatever, but I go by what I see, and what I see is that usually there just isn't that much difference.  

From that perspective, I don't see why Jews would be separated when these other groups are not.  Besides, if someone in the military was a racist, why would they hold Jews in such contempt when theres so many more Blacks and Hispanics there?  It just doesn't make sense, but then I've never been in the military.  The ex military guys I've been around may have had some black or arab remarks (especially lately), but not much else.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I read in a post recently that few Jews serve in the military...  Well, I think that many vets probably think that this has to do with mental or, physical inferiority as well as cowardess on the part of Jewish Americans.

But I think that it might have something to do with the fact that, first, Jews are a minority to begin with, but mainly the fact that there is a lot of Anti-semitism within the ranks of the U.S. military...this is well known among Jews so many stay away from the military path. I can speak of this anti-semitism from personal experience.  I won't go into detail about the ways in which I was ostracized, but I will say that even after I proved myself to be a capable leader, I was still kept at arms distance by other recruits, and yes, it was because I was a Jew and not because I smelled funny.

These experiences didn't make me stop loving my country or discourage my desire to be a Marine, but I do think that it has had the effect on many other Jews whos convictions and motivation might not have been initially as stong as mine.

Just my $.02
View Quote

Let's see..... ummm...... [size=3][b]NO[/size=3][/b]

"Do what you will,
just don't lay blame where it really isn't due."
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Two jews walk into a spooting goods store

THe first Jew says to the second Jew "Hey Shlomo- Check out these fishing poles!"

The second jew says "Yeah Eli, those are some fine poles. Check out these hooks!"

Shlomo looks, scratches his head, and [blue]***PUNCHLINE EDITED!***[/blue]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Jewish last name, and occasionally I heard "Jew" comments.  I never really saw any anti-semitism when I was in the military.  Not to say it isn't present, but I just never really saw people get excluded from the team because of race or ethnicity or religion.  

Your experience may have been different.  Have you thought that you may have been excluded as a recruit because they just didn't like you?

Frankly, I think the military is more anti-woman than it is anything else.

"Do what you will,
just don't believe everybody is anti-semitic."  
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
How about WE all get some diversity going.............at least among the ar15 crowd........what do ya` say....BROTHERS?????..........[soapbox]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How about WE all get some diversity going.............at least among the ar15 crowd........what do ya` say....BROTHERS?????..........[soapbox]
View Quote

I think when someone makes a comment about "jews" or "negro's", they aren't speaking about any given AR15.com member who happens to be a Jew, or a Negro.

They are usually speaking about social issues that are native to certian peoples-
At this point, those who are so politically correct they can't face said issues revert to the "take them all as individuals" argument.
Taking everyone as individuals is fine an an individual level, but it fails to address broader social concerns.
So long as we are too politically correct to address those concerns lest we offend a member of that demographic, the "problems" will never find thier "soloutions".

But for all intents and purposes, religion and race are simply too divisive an issue to discuss on a gun board if the site doesn't permit it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#10]
MY POINT..........Maybe we can stay with the topic at hand and dispense with the race/ethnic issues..............yes?/no?.......a little tired of it.....day in and day out!.....................[devil]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
MY POINT..........Maybe we can stay with the topic at hand and dispense with the race/ethnic issues..............yes?/no?.......a little tired of it.....day in and day out!.....................[devil]
View Quote

Well, I don't know what the "Topic at Hand" exactly is in General Discussion, but I agree that society (Gun owners included) is simply too conditioned to ever discuss racial issues or religion on a reasonable level.

Of course, the "conditioning" is being purveyed by ---- nah. Nevermind.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Jews seem to do a good job in the IDF.  One little country keeping the whole Arab world at bay.  I don't see how someone could even make the distinction, Jews look pretty normal.  The guy who sits next to me at work is a Jew, he's cool.  Mexicans on the other hand...
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#13]
You get the point.........wish others would...........[:D]........P-S....there is no "conditioning" on my part.....
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Scipio, I am a Jewish guy thats half Itialian and I look Irish.  I have been in the military and/or a cop all my adult life.  My best friend is was a Marine Grunt.  His dad was in a concentration camp.  We are both proud of being Jews, soldiers and cops.  You are not alone!!!  I have heard little comments, but nothing I could not take.  I would like to see someone call me weak!!  I stand with you!!!  However, almost all of my friends are not Jews.  I have never had any problems.  We treat each other like brothers!!!  GOD BLESS AMERICA!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top