Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 2:23:54 PM EDT
Warren Zevon:  January 24, 1947 – September 7, 2003

Was going through my CD's today, and had to put in the Excitable Boy for a listen.

I was going through my divorce when Zevon died, and of course, "The Wind" album surely provided me with some levity and a sense of perspective, sort of a:  "well, life sucks...  but you could be, you know, dying of cancer or something."

Its amazing to think its been almost 2 years since that time in my life.  

Interestingly, Zevon was (like me) annoyed with Doctors and he never went.

In 2000 he released an album with a song called "My Shit's fucked up."   Maybe he knew he had cancer, or at least felt shitty enough that he figured out something was very wrong.

"The Wind" was recorded as he was dying, and is hard to listen to at times because you can hear him struggling to perform.  (The song "Disorder in the House" comes to mind).   He lived long enough to see the album released on August 28th.   He died less than two weeks later.

Here's the lyrics to My shit's fucked up:

Well, I went to the doctor
I said, "I'm feeling kind of rough"
"Let me break it to you, son"
"Your shit's fucked up."
I said, "my shit's fucked up?"
Well, I don't see how--"
He said, "The shit that used to work--
It won't work now."

I had a dream
Ah, shucks, oh, well
Now it's all fucked up
It's shot to hell

Yeah, yeah, my shit's fucked up
It has to happen to the best of us
The rich folks suffer like the rest of us
It'll happen to you

That amazing grace
Sort of passed you by
You wake up every day
And you start to cry
Yeah, you want to die
But you just can't quit
Let me break it on down:
It's the fucked up shit

Zevon sang that he'd sleep when he was dead.   I hope he's getting some rest, and that his sleep is more peaceful than that of Roland the Headless Tompson Gunner.

RIP, Zev.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it's a shame.  I didn't get into him till after he was dying....  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:33:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Two years already? He faced death well, as well as any of us can hope to.

There's a good video on the making of "The Wind" btw. There's a great segement when Springsteen kicks into the solo for "Disorder in the House" and Warren says "you are that guy."
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:43:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Two years already? He faced death well, as well as any of us can hope to.

There's a good video on the making of "The Wind" btw. There's a great segement when Springsteen kicks into the solo for "Disorder in the House" and Warren says "you are that guy."

Yeah, I saw that.

Amazing how he went out.

"I'm very well acquainted with the seven deadly sins
I keep a busy schedule trying to fit them in
I'm proud to be a glutton and I don't have time for sloth
I'm greedy and I'm angry and I don't care who I cross"
--"Mr. Bad Example"

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#4]
only performer ive ever wanted to see live..but didnt.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw something on tv about him. I can't recall what channel it was, but there was basically this camera crew that followed him around in his day to day life....in his home, his trips to the doctor, his studio work, everything....right up to when he died.  

I started to change the channel, sensing that things weren't going to turn out good. But despite being morbid, I was drawn into the program and just couldn't stop watching, even though you normally couldn't pay me to watch something like that.

He was a tough guy who did indeed face his end bravely. And though the program was somewhat depressing, there were other parts that were somewhat inspirational. I'm now glad that I watched.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I love his music.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
VH1 aired the documentary on the recording of that album, and after watching my own father die from cancer--it was tough to watch.

But, Zevon had a resilient spirit. I couldn't help but watch, and it was a testament of courage. The parts where they showed him and his family were really touching--even more than the completed songs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Still no lawyers, guns, or money for me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
VH1 aired the documentary on the recording of that album, and after watching my own father die from cancer--it was tough to watch.

But, Zevon had a resilient spirit. I couldn't help but watch, and it was a testament of courage. The parts where they showed him and his family were really touching--even more than the completed songs.

IIRC, he lived just barely long enough to see his grandsons born.

BTW, there's a gift in my initial post for those who are perceptive enough.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I took some wisdom from the show he made when he was dying:

He said: "Enjoy every sandwich"

I ran into a good friend from highschool's older brother today, I asked him how his brother was, he bluntly said "He died of a heart attack" He was 35. I feel pretty mortal right now.

Again I thought, "Enjoy EVERY sandwich"
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Warren Zevon and I were born within twenty-four hours of
each other. I was recovering from cancer when he was diagnosed.
Heard of his passing and decided it was about time to get to know his
work.  The man left me a whole lot richer through his music.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Warren Zevon and I were born within twenty-four hours of
each other. I was recovering from cancer when he was diagnosed.
Heard of his passing and decided it was about time to get to know his
work.  The man left me a whole lot richer through his music.

Wow, that's a great story.

Zevon is a perfect example of the artist who gets no recognition (or less than he should) until after he's dead.

When he passed, I had dozens of friends borrowing my extensive Zevon collection as they all knew I listened to "that weird guy who did the werewolves of london" song.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#14]
"Excitable Boy" is a classic slap at the liberal mindset that says lets help the poor misunderstood child after he has killed a family of five.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:04:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish they would release Stand in the Fire on CD. Best live soundtrack ever.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I wish they would release Stand in the Fire on CD. Best live soundtrack ever.

His son is supposed to be getting some unreleased stuff on the market soon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:34:19 AM EDT
[#17]
BTT for the work crowd.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I can't believe it has been TWO YEARS ALREADY......

Along with Zappa, Zevon was one of the GREAT UNSUNG HEROES of independant music.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top