Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/13/2006 12:33:59 PM EDT
Not bragging... really... I'm not.  I got hurt on-the-job (disabled) and I'm to receive a whole lot of money real soon (don't ask 'cause I ain't sayin' how much... but it is ALOT!!!!).

What would you do with a truckload of $$$$$  ????   Buy gold?  Invest in a bunch of class III stuff??  Buy stocks/bonds??  Invest in a business venture???  Buy one of every kind of cool rifles/pistols??  Maybe give a big contribution to the church/poor ???

I've never been in this situation before in my life and it kind of scares me.  I like my house, car and motorcycle so I don't want or need any modes of transportation.  Help me decide what to do with it, please.  (settlement papers are being drawn up and should be disbursed in about 30-45 days).

lawdog (white trash with money)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd find a nice wholesome AR-15 owner in Ohio and pay for his kids education...

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Dont tell people how much you are getting.

Ever.

Really.

Personally I am very conservative fiscally and would pay off the house and vehicles and find a nice safe investment.

No businesses.

AAA rated investments only.

No loans to friends.

No loans to family.

Stay under the radar, do something constructive with your time.

Dram out
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]
buy a few cool things that you want, donate some to charity, and invest the rest.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Give some to your long time internet buddy Macman37!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#5]
fix that automatic glock of yours

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be the first to say it.

Hookers and Blow.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Spend $2-$5k to quench the thirst to spend it, eliminate your liquid debt, and put EVERY single penny  that is left into long term, low-risk investments.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#8]
1.  If you have debt that is not your mortgage or other tax-subsidized debt (e.g. student loans), pay it off.  Start with the biggest % rate item and go down from there.  This includes credit cards, car loans, etc.

2.  Do you have an emergency fund?  This is 3-6 months of expenses (read:  not salary) in a liquid account (checking, savings or money market) fund.  If not, make one.  Vanguard Money Market Prime is a good option.  It's a good idea to have one for unexpected medical, home or car bills.  

3.  Invest a good chunk of the cash.  The time value of money is your best weapon in building wealth.  Consult with your financial advisor or buy a copy of Personal Finance for Dummies, it's up to you.  

I would not use the proceeds to pay down your mortgage unless part of your mortgage is a HELOC or otherwise variable interest rate loan.  As Ric Edelman said, no one ever got rich paying off their mortgage early.  Chances are you have a rather low (6% or lower) rate mortgage -- and the effective rate is even lower because you get the tax breaks.  You're not gonna get cheap money like that from just any old place.  So if you have a conventional fixed rate mortgage, don't pay it down.  You will get better returns from investing the cash!

4.  Take a modest amount and buy yourself something fun.  All work and no play makes lawdog a dull boy.    
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Start your own news channel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Hookers and blow

Damn it missed it buy a few seconds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Spend $2-$5k to quench the thirst to spend it, eliminate your liquid debt, and put EVERY single penny  that is left into long term, low-risk investments.

+.9bar

and get somthing full auto
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#12]

must be nice
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Move to So. Florida and hang out with that tipster of yours?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#14]
get rid of all debt... then talk to a professional.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Launch an investigtion into why your Glock "mysteriously went off all by itself while laying in the sun"...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
buy  a nice new double wide, plastic above ground pool, and a couple of Chevys
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Tithe 10%
Invest or save 60%

30% on the following:

PS-90
AR this, AR that
supressors
Ammo
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Me personally, I would pay for college and buy myself a decent car (assuming that it was enough money for that).  Probably buy another AR, an Arsenal AK, and a 1911 too.  (again, assuming it is enough money to do so).
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Geez lawdog, keeping tabs on Condi to check if shes a lesbo, and that solar powered glock, and then seeing glock take it from you while giving you an XD, and now this. Wow, your life is ever so interesting. One might even begin to think that you might be lying if it weren't for the mound of proof you have given us.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not bragging... really... I'm not.  I got hurt on-the-job (disabled) and I'm to receive a whole lot of money real soon (don't ask 'cause I ain't sayin' how much... but it is ALOT!!!!).

What would you do with a truckload of $$$$$  ????   Buy gold?  Invest in a bunch of class III stuff??  Buy stocks/bonds??  Invest in a business venture???  Buy one of every kind of cool rifles/pistols??  Maybe give a big contribution to the church/poor ???

I've never been in this situation before in my life and it kind of scares me.  I like my house, car and motorcycle so I don't want or need any modes of transportation.  Help me decide what to do with it, please.  (settlement papers are being drawn up and should be disbursed in about 30-45 days).

lawdog (white trash with money)

What id this Class III stuff you speak of?
Class III is a Dealer not a Weapon......why do ignorant people refer to NFA weapons as Class III weapons?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#21]
you could buy a  team membership?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#22]
20% - Cash - Hidden
20% - Secure Long Term Investments
20% - Growth Investments
(The proportion of the two above would vary with age)
20% - "Future" - This may be education fund or something.
20% - Fun Money

Just my $.02

ETA: To correct misplelling of Edufation
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I would recommend you seek the assistance of a certified financial planner.  But if you are just looking for the basics.  I would pay off all debt that is not tax deductable.  Next, you should set up a well rounded portfolio of stocks, bonds, funds, etc.  I prefer dividend paying investments, but depending on what "a truckload" really amounts to, dividends may be a minor consideration.

Now if the amount of $$$ is obscene, like you just hit the powerball for $200 million, IM me and I'll try to help you spend your money.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#24]
let me guess. Your long lost Nigerian relative died and all you have to do is give his "lawyer" your bank account info and he will wire it right over?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Me personally, I would pay for college and buy myself a decent car (assuming that it was enough money for that).  Probably buy another AR, an Arsenal AK, and a 1911 too.  (again, assuming it is enough money to do so).

I think the problem these days is that most people  (I'm not putting you in this category by saying this)  think that a "decent" car costs $30-50k.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd shut down the Rumor Mill and move it overseas to India to help cut costs.

Seriously, I don't see gold going down anytime soon.  I would invest a percentage into that.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Two women!

I would buy a real, honest to good Colt M-16.

You are making me drool.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I've only done work comp defese for about nine years, so.... if you're talking about a work comp settlement, and depending on your injuries, and the state you live in, I can probably guesstimate how much you are getting and be within 5k.

With that said, I would suggest you pay off any high interest loans, credit cards, etc. Take the balance and invest half of it, and use the other half for fun.

Don't blow the money on a lame-assed depreciating asset like a fukin' camaro or mustang that you're gonna restore - it ain't gonna happen, and it is a money pit. More importantly, even if you did restore the car, you'll never get out of it what you put into it.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Do people not even notice who starts a thread?  

G
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I dunno what you should do with it, but I definitely encourage you to ask random strangers on the internet, instead of paying a professional.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I would recommend you seek the assistance of a certified financial planner.  But if you are just looking for the basics.  I would pay off all debt that is not tax deductable.  Next, you should set up a well rounded portfolio of stocks, bonds, funds, etc.  I prefer dividend paying investments, but depending on what "a truckload" really amounts to, dividends may be a minor consideration.

Now if the amount of $$$ is obscene, like you just hit the powerball for $200 million, IM me and I'll try to help you spend your money.

Well he is white trash so a truck load of money might be like 5k.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#32]
......why do ignorant people refer to NFA weapons as Class III weapons?

[Steve Martin]  Well...... X-ccccuuuuuuuusssssseeeeeee meeeeeeeeeee !!!  [Steve Martin]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Do people not even notice who starts a thread?  

G

I do not think they do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Build the bathroom that Hielo used to talk about supposedly having.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:06:56 PM EDT
[#35]
After paying off debts/stuff, personally I think it'd be sweet to build a really big/advanced underground nuclear bomb shelter beneath your home.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Glock quality control consultant.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Sorry about your accident.

but maybe it should  be used to cover the medical expenses,  pain and suffering, future medical,and other reasons you won the $ in the first place.

Awards should not be like winning the lottery IMHO.

But since its there....P90
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#38]
P90
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:24:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Eliminate all student loan debt, buy a nice new car, buy a house, then invest in real estate probably.

Hey lawdog, mind telling us how you were injured/disabled?  Because I'd bet you'd trade in your money to have your health back, just like many would do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Too many unaswered questions.

How old are you?

Is it a small truck load or a semi load?

Small truck = $100,000

Semi = 2 or 3 million.

Small truck..... invest so you never have to worry about money when you retire. Don't spend ANY of it.

Semi......Invest all but $200,000 go have a hell of a time for a year.
Take the interest off of your investments and repeat the next year and so on.
Never touch the principle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I would put myself through law school.  
Then medical school.

If I could defend myself in court and fix myself when broken I'd be living a more exciting life than I am now....
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Acreage on a mountain lake for your retirement.  The price only keeps going up.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I would put myself through law school.  
Then medical school.

If I could defend myself in court and fix myself when broken I'd be living a more exciting life than I am now....

If that happens for you, I think the question we would all like answered is, which side would you be on during the doctors vs. lawyers thread on ARFCOM?

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#45]
You're disabled, and I assume, can't work......but you can ride a motorcycle?

Sure you can.  Use your wheelchair to go outside.  Drag yourself across the briars and gravel and pull yourself up.  While you drape your upper body over the saddle, you reach around to grab your pantleg and pull your leg over the bike.  While lying across the gas tank you put both your feet into the specially-designed stirrips.  You attach the belt around your waist and cinch it down tight to hold yourself firmly on the bike.  You use the hand controls to manuver the bike.

It takes some getting use to it but after a while, it's second nature
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#46]

If that happens for you, I think the question we would all like answered is, which side would you be on during the doctors vs. lawyers thread on ARFCOM?

Of course I'd be on the lawyers side as even the doctors need lawyers more often than the lawyers need doctors.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, you can type, apparently have vision to type, and communicate.  You have a motorcycle and other transportation.  You are not totally disabled, then.

I suggest you get a job or you will spend your truckload and be broke in a few years.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#48]
How about buying a membership you freeloader!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
You're disabled, and I assume, can't work......but you can ride a motorcycle?

Our fine legal system at work...
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#50]
... If it were a seriously large enough "truck load", I'd retire.

... As much as I enjoy my work, I much prefer the idea of calling my own shots from here on out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top