Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 8:39:52 AM EDT
I have a huge box of early-mid 90s popular comic books that I bought and bagged without even looking at as "Investments"......are they worth anything? I know it depends on what a guy has, but I have most of the cool stuff from back then.

I'm not into comics at all and would like to generate some gun funds.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, i burn them to keep warm in the winter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#3]
MTECHGUNMAN

Thanks, that's very helpful....no wonder you have 1400 posts in 7 months.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks, that's very helpful....no wonder you have 1400 posts in 7 months.

Your welcome.

its an idea though.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh well....more worthless crap around the house.

I do have a 1 1/2 year old that may get a kick out of them someday......and the keeping warm option
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Check for a few of the titles on Ebay, which has lead to a huge increase in comic book prices, due to the ability of sellers (both dealers and collectors) to reach a huge market all over the world.

I don't know about comics from the 90s, but some books might be hot.

If you don't want to sell on Ebay, there are dealers that will buy your entire collection.  I sold a bunch of Iron Man about 10 years ago to a guy out in Arizona for $500, which was a fair price back then.  Today, due to Ebay and general apprecaition, they'd be worth $2,000+.

You can find dealers listed in the Overstreet Comic Book Price guide (your library should have one - not sure what edition is current) or on Ebay (check their feedback rating).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:08:33 AM EDT
[#7]
You have to admit that was pretty funny. lol

Quoted:
Yes, i burn them to keep warm in the winter.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:11:01 AM EDT
[#8]
You'll need to check thru the books and see if individually they are valuable now.  IIRC, Superman/Batman both went thru deaths, broken necks, etc. that AT THE TIME were collectible.  As to the others, I cant help out there.  Good idea to check ebay for the certain titles you have, then try to advertise the whole bunch with the popular ones up front.  I have sold a few comics on ebay, albeit older ones, and had better luck selling one at a time.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep in mind the 90's was "The golden age of overproduction"  that seriously bit the comics world in the ass.  Popularity led to gross overproduction that drove prices down and seriously hurt the industry (investment collectors mostly.)

Look for mint #1's and 1st character appearances and price them out on eBay.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#10]

You have to admit that was pretty funny. lol

It was funny...I admit it.

I will check some specific titles....thanks for the e-bay idea.

Thanks all......I agree the mid 90's was the time when all the guys like me would just order comics and stick them away for the future....now most are worthlesss.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#11]
'50-70's comics were best!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#12]
store them next to the Pogs and Beanie Babies
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I did the same thing as you did recently and discovered that the Grading System for comics has really evolved a lot over the last few years. There is actually a company now that will certify, grade, and hermetically seal your valuable comics to help collectors determine the value of the books. It's not cheap, but it can make selling a collection much easier since a lot of collectors won't even look at stuff that hasn't been CGC graded. Check http://www.cgccomics.com for more info.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting your entire collection graded (that would cost more than it would be worth in the end), but if you were to identify several high value pieces in your collection and be able to include a few big ticket items that have been certified and have good value you should be able to move your collection very quickly (whether over eBay or to a dealer or private collector)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#14]

store them next to the Pogs and Beanie Babies

Nope....just comics and guns
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Golden age and silver age comics are where the money is at ( 30s-60s). I was collecting comics in the early 90s - I loved them. Hell I still do. I go into comic shops and its like an alcoholic walking into a Jack Daniels store. OMG - I just want to run and buy $400 of crap right there.

Too bad for me when I was collecting there was a HUGE glut in the market. People - like you, you jerk - would just buy for investments. Which would for the short term decrease supply , and prices did raise on some books.  But then people would want to sell later and no one wasnt your Blah  comics #1 because everyone else has 5 copies and are waiting for them to be worth a mint.

I have several boxes of comics I want to keep - and re-read. And I have many that I just want to sell and get rid of. But its almost not worth it. I cant even get cover price for a mint book on most of them. Sure - you do have the occastional jem - but overall its just all junk.

So - yeah - I might ebay mine - or find some kid who loves them and make his day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top