Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2004 10:09:37 PM EDT
Where in the hell did such a command originate? I assume it was suppose to mean "come here, now". But why was it used? Did it just sound German enough that they used it anyway or what? LOL.

I saw it used in Band of Brothers and I've heard WWII veterans talk about saying that. I don't speak German, but if I were guessing, they would understand that about as clearly as they would "come here now". LOL.  I suppose as long as you had a Garand pointed at them, it didn't much matter what you said as they can interpret expressions better. But I was just curious if anyone else has ever thought about this or knew where it originated.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Ve haff vays of makink you talk!

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I like the way you talk?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the way you talk?

[CarlModeOn]Mmmhmmm.[/CarlModeOff]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL!

"I'll have biscuits and mustard for breakfast, ummmmhmmmmm."
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:18:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the way you talk?

[CarlModeOn]Mmmhmmm.[/CarlModeOff]

"...I lahk the way you tawk too..."

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Think what you're hearing is  "kommen Sie hier schnell"

Which means "come here fast" in german

Many german words are similar to english and get confused because of the accent

JB
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Charging_Handle, I think it falls along the same lines as the popular way people speak of Hispanics: Would you like an el coke-o with your el steak-o?

Stereotypical interpretations.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Komm-un-zie-hier!  Schnell!  

I think that's closer.

Ziggareten!  Schnell!  (Cigarette!  Hurry!)  

That's about all the Kraut I speak.  

Name that movie:

"Bitte!  Bitte!"

(Brrrappp-sound of Thompsons)

"I wonder what 'Beet beet' means?"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Some folks calls it a Kaiser blade
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:24:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

JB

Ok, that makes sense.

Just glad it wasn't something like we do with Russian words sometimes. You know, take the American word and tack 'ski" on the end of it and pass it off as Russian. LOL.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:25:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

JB

Well, how 'bout that.  I learnt something.  Thanks!

Just like the famous word spoken by a WWII general, "nuts" sounds like nietz (sp?) - which sounds like nuts and means 'nothing.'

As in, "what's your reply to this message, sir?"  Kinda makes you wonder if the general was trying to say "nothing" in german.  But was misinterpreted and it became a famous quote.

"NUTS"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I have no idea. But I said something similar to a German hooker once and she got real upset. Chased me around Berlin for hours. I think she was half Bloodhound; I had to change taxis twice and finally dive into the subway before I lost her.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Some folks calls it a Kaiser blade

"...you got any a dem french fried pa'taters?"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have no idea. But I said something similar to a German hooker once and she got real upset. Chased me around Berlin for hours. I think she was half Bloodhound; I had to change taxis twice and finally dive into the subway before I lost her.

Dang, Moof - what the hell?  That actually sounds like a good story.  Would an elaboration be worth it?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]
"Not funny haha. Funny queer."

Man, that movie had lots of funny ass and weird lines.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JB

Ok, that makes sense.

Just glad it wasn't something like we do with Russian words sometimes. You know, take the American word and tack 'ski" on the end of it and pass it off as Russian. LOL.

Haha, yeah .. or when people start yelling... like that'll make a foreigner understand what the hell they're saying I always love that
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn it:

Name that movie:

"Bitte! Bitte!"

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:36:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Damn it:

Name that movie:

"Bitte! Bitte!"

Saving Private Ryan
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn it:

Name that movie:

"Bitte! Bitte!"

Saving Private Ryan

BZZZZZTTTT!  Wrong answer.  Way too recent.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JB

Well, how 'bout that.  I learnt something.  Thanks!

Just like the famous word spoken by a WWII general, "nuts" sounds like nietz (sp?) - which sounds like nuts and means 'nothing.'

As in, "what's your reply to this message, sir?"  Kinda makes you wonder if the general was trying to say "nothing" in german.  But was misinterpreted and it became a famous quote.

"NUTS"

Welcome    some german blood in my family. Don't speak very much tho, but I can read it somewhat.  Suprising how similar english is to it really.

BTW, 'Bitte'  means Please and  'Nichts' means nothing..   for da udder posters
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
"Not funny haha. Funny queer."

Man, that movie had lots of funny ass and weird lines.

The funniest thing I've seen you post was, "What a goofy assed thread."

The placement in the thread's conversation was perfect.  I laughed hard on that one.  I even started laughing the next day when I was reading another "goofy assed thread."

I will always think of that whenever I see something screwy.  I don't know why but it just nade me laugh pretty hard.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:40:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn it:

Name that movie:

"Bitte! Bitte!"

Saving Private Ryan

BZZZZZTTTT!  Wrong answer.  Way too recent.

Correction:  It's actually "Hey, what the heck does 'bitte, bitte' mean, anyway?"
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted: 'Nichts' means nothing..   for da udder posters

Thanks - so what's your theory on my assumption?  Do you think 'nuts' and 'nichts' sound similar enough?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Damn it:

Name that movie:

"Bitte! Bitte!"

Fort Navarone?

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:48:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn it:

Name that movie:

"Bitte! Bitte!"

Fort Navarone?

Nah, "The Longest Day", actually, I believe while the Rangers are taking Pointe Du Hoc.  I'd let it ride, but I think I'm going to eat some jalepenos and go to bed.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Whan that April with his shoor a sote, the droocht of March hath perced to the rota
And bothed evry vine in switch likur of which vertu engred ist the flur.
Middle English.
Old English is even more German-y
English, Dutch, German and Swedish were all one language at one time.
Angles came from Germany.
Saxons came from Germany.
Danes, well to the North of Germany.
Swedes, up thar too.
Vas ist das?
What is this?
Gibst mere
Give here
Kommen sie hier
Come here
Shnell
Rapidly
Ich habe
I have
ein grosse schvanz
A large um well...nevermind
Busen
Boobs
Fich
Fuck
Sheise
Shit
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#27]
What was that one line from Saving Private Ryan, during the scene where the GI's had taken the bunker complex facing the beach and those two Germans came out trying to surrender? They said something and had their hands raised when that one dude just lets em have it.  Then the one guy asked what they said and his buddy holds up his hands and says something like "look, I washed for supper" or something like that. Whatever he said just seemed funny at the time, though that may not have been what he said.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:57:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Thanks - so what's your theory on my assumption?  Do you think 'nuts' and 'nichts' sound similar enough?

Hard to say really, it's possible.  Though If my memory serves me right  the german commander spoke fairly good english, so it's likely he just had no idea what the hell 'NUTS!' was supposed to mean... or he knew and was shocked at the american's defiance...  Which is likely, considering they (germans) were arrogantly convinced they were winning and thought themselves being gracious by offering the americans an honorable means of surrender.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What was that one line from Saving Private Ryan, during the scene where the GI's had taken the bunker complex facing the beach and those two Germans came out trying to surrender? They said something and had their hands raised when that one dude just lets em have it.  Then the one guy asked what they said and his buddy holds up his hands and says something like "look, I washed for supper" or something like that. Whatever he said just seemed funny at the time, though that may not have been what he said.

Weird.  The second vote for "Saving Private Ryan".  I'm sure it was in "The Longest Day".  Maybe there was a scene in both.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard to say really, it's possible.  Though If my memory serves me right  the german commander spoke fairly good english, so it's likely he just had no idea what the hell 'NUTS!' was supposed to mean... or he knew and was shocked at the american's defiance...  Which is likely, considering they (germans) were arrogantly convinced they were winning and thought themselves being gracious by offering the americans an honorable means of surrender.  

Roger that  - thanks for the response.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Just think of how historic the line would have been if instead of nuts he said "suck my fat one"!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry for the thread hijack, but here's a hilarious crank call using the Carl soundboard on Ebaum's World:
media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=slingblade1.mp3
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:04:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:08:25 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Just think of how historic the line would have been if instead of nuts he said "suck my fat one"!

I kid you not - I live in an apartment and my laughter caused my neighbors to pound on the wall.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roger that  - thanks for the response.  

Welcome, Glad to be useful !
**salutes..... does about face........ marches off to bed**  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I can't believe this thread went to two pages. I bet most of you who clicked on it did so after reading the thread title and thinking...."geez, what kinda heavy drugs is this asshat taking tonight? This I gotta see for myself!".  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:40:08 PM EDT
[#37]
I think of you as a fellow veteran.  Having barbed comments and funny scenarios.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:41:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I used to have the phrase "You have three minutes to surrender" on a 8x5 index card in eight languages.  Russian, Chinese, Arabic, Spanish, French, Swahili, Farsi and Korean, I think it was....I forget.  Used to keep it in my mo-bag....dunno what happened to it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top