Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/5/2002 9:09:30 PM EDT
I found them at my local used book store i skimmed through a couple each one covers a weapon tactics and armored and Air support stuff in each also how tos like useing weapons comparisons and ect. its a 28 vol set I only skimmed through them does anyone know if there accurate and a good read? The guy at the book store wants $100 for the set. Ive never seen nor heard of these before it was published in 1991
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:21:04 PM EDT
A friend of mine gave me the complete set before he moved out of state. They have a lot of information in them if you don't mind getting the information with a decidedly British flair . I believe that they were printed in england for their troops. Most of the material in the books is geared towards European combat and fighting in built up areas such as Ireland. I dont know that the current price would run, but if you break it down it is about $3.00 a book. E-mail if you need more details, I'll have to go look at the books to give you any more details. HTH Karl
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:26:45 PM EDT
Thats why I asked they seemed infomative but i thought the price might be a little high but I looked at amazon and there price for a used volume is $3.00 with a new one being $9.99 they are also supposedly out of print although I dont know if that matters. I may have to go back and pick up the set in the next couple of weeks I dont think theyll be going anywhere, but I dunno
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:35:57 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:02:26 PM EDT
Wow, thought what I had was rare! [:)] I've got the set too, but I think I'm missing books 1 and 3. Received book 2 as the "try it free" one. Man, this is a blast from the past. Pretty good set, decent artwork and cut ways of most of our favorite toys.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:09:27 PM EDT
HKgnnr how did you get the books through the mail were you signed up to one of the military book clubs or something? I think there rare these are the only ones ive seen or heard about and ive never heard about it mentioned here before just courious
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:21:44 PM EDT
They probably got my name from a catalog mailing list I figure. From what I can remember, it was about 1992. They sent me the book along with a 'sign up' card - much like a book club - "Keep the ones you want, and we'll send you one each month." I dont recall the actual purchase price of each book however - probably around $5 or so. Just did a search on ebay and amazon and it does look like I could complete the set with the books I'm missing. Like the others have stated, definitely geared towards the Brits and covers all sorts of topics; firearms, armed and unarmed combat, tactics, first aid, NBC attacks, armored vehicles, aircraft, also each book has short stories of 'action reports'. Actually still have the set on my bookcase in my gun room - wife keeps trying to pack them away LOL Me - "Woman, dont touch my stuff!!!" Her - "Okay [i]Frances[/i]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 3:06:44 AM EDT
I have the complete set also and I did learn alot from them. If you like L1A1's you'll like them too. Lot's of info on Russian weapons and equipment. Good info with reguards to NBC and escape and evasion. You'll see something you didn't every time you pull one out. Not saying they're super great but are a good source of the little things you wouldn't see else where.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 9:16:26 PM EDT
Thanks to everyone who replyed. ill pobably go pick them up one of these days
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:34:32 AM EDT
Great books, I have the set except for 2 missing issues. I know where there are two partial sets of books if anyone wants certain issues or wants to trade for the ones I'm missing. BrenLover
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:19:23 PM EDT
The two sets are MOSTLY complete, looking at $8 a book or so. All are in EXC condition. BrenLover
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:28:58 PM EDT
Great series, taken directly from military manuals and include actual stories told by veterans of all sorts of combat, from Israel to Vietnam to South Africa. Have all 28, won't part with them for anything.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:05:01 AM EDT
You best rifleman, they are written and illistrated to be very imformative AND entertaining. I especially like the H2H and First Aid sections. BrenLover
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:17:39 AM EDT
I thought I was the only person whith the whole set. I enjoy them, the last book has an index so you can look stuff up. I say pick them up
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:30:07 AM EDT
I've got the full set (with 1993 Yearbook) also. Got them from an ad I got in the mail. Think they were $5.80 (or there abouts) a book. Good reading. Would not part with them...!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:10:11 AM EDT
Anyone know if there are yearbook's besides the 93 one?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:07:25 AM EDT
I'm looking like mad for 2 issues and am trying alot of the used book sources on the web. For those who posted, if you need certain issues let me know I can get SOME of them. BrenLover
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:44:58 AM EDT
The price seems good. I also paid $100 at a local used bookstore for a complete set a couple months ago. The books seem to be collected reprints of articles originally published in a British magazine. I recognized them because I have a few issues of the mag also. I can't remember the title for sure now, but it might be "Combat Missions." Pretty good info, but starting to get a little dated as the last book was published in '90 or '91.
Top Top