Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2001 7:52:31 PM EDT
Has anyone heard of one of these for sale?
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
No, I haven't heard of one, but I do recall that my Mini 14 manual said some Mini 14's made it out as 222.....so the idea of a AR in 222 is not odd (or is it).  All it would be is a barrel change, right.......
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes there is one for sale right now on GunBroker.  They were made for export, primarily for countries that don't allow their citizens to have military caliber weapons.  I heard that most of them went to Europe, but I can't attest to that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:19:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually the barrel would be the same, the chamber would be different.

I think Colt marketed some of these for sale to countries where guns in military calibers are regulated more strictly than guns in non-military calibers.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
. . . which is what slt said, except his post wasn't up there when I wrote mine . . .
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
A book I have claims that Gene Stoner originally designed the AR-15 around the .222 cartridge. But, "It didn't work quite as well as he wanted, so he redesigned the .222Rem with a slightly larger case, and called it the .223Rem".

I don't know if this accurate AR-15 trivia or BS.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]
O.K. this is what I heard , it was origanaly to be a .222 , but the military requirements was that the bullet had to penetrate both sides of a helement at 500 yards , the .222 could almost do it but not quite , therefore the case was extended a few mm for the extra powder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top