Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2001 8:47:17 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

Does anyone know anything about these kind of mags and what a fair price for me (If I decide to) to pay for them would be?

I was told they are new, teflon coated & the springs look to be an alloy of some kind and there is a white sealant that looks like it was intended to seal raw edges. They seem to be engineered to withstand corrosives (i.e., salt water).

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3792905/1002342432501_TeflonColt.jpg

I own a BushMaster 16" shorty with AK-Muzzle break.

I am new to the board and would be thankful for any help given.

Take care

Steve
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:54:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't find your link. Try to repost it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3792905/1002342432501_TeflonColt.jpg[/img]

Are these the ones?

[heavy]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, at least the floor plates are Colt. Do they have green or black followers? JT Distributing has new unissued Colt mags on thier site.
If they are Teflon coated Colts, they are:
1.) pre-ban mags that were redone in Teflon
2.) post ban mags that should be marked. There are a couple of mag FAQ sites you might want to look over before you buy them. Fulton Armory has one under AR15 FAQ's, and Troy has an excellent one under the magazine exchange site on Ar15.com.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya might want to post this question in the Magazines section.

But from what I heard,  Colt never made Teflon coated magazines per se.  However,  some of these mags have been known to have been RE-coated with a Teflon paint by private persons or businesses who are refurbishing older surplus mags.

The other possibility is that these mags are one of the small variety of factory Teflon-coated mags from LaBelle Mfg, who made them for themselves, and also sold them to DPMS, Bushmaster AND made a "no-name" type (w/o a name on the baseplate).  The possibility is that someone put Colt baseplates on some of these Teflon coated mags because they might sell for more.  

If these are the FACTORY coated mags from LaBelle,  they are arguably the best ones you can buy.  If not,  you have recoated surplus mags and may work just as good, but won't be worth as much.

Good Luck
GS
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help so far, Any ideas whats up with the white coated springs?, I have been told they have black followers.

Steve.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
There are Colt (manufactured by LaBelle I belive) Teflon mags out there. I have seen some from the Ranger Camp, and one during Colt Armorer class. They were all post ban, and marked MIL/LE only. The Teflon was also black, and the green followers were in place. I had one, but gave it away, the Teflon finish did not seem very durable. This deal is one that I would use great caution on. I have half a dozen of the BM teflon coated LaBelles. Grey Teflon finish, very durable compared to the black teflon I have seen for some reason.
The white coating, I would have to see and feel to give you a legitimate answer. There are new springs on the market that won't take a set. Also some new titanium springs. It could be white grease or something of the sort. Is the Teflon black or grey?
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello again,

Here is the description I received from the person selling them to go with the picture, I do know the followers are black & pretty sure he said the teflon is as well, he also said he had bought around 18-20 of them for around 50.00 a year or so back and is keeping most of them..........

"Originally purchased these as "Navy Seal" mags. Have never been able to get confirmation as to that purpose for them, but they are definately very unique. They are teflon coated - VERY durable. Have carried some (not these) around loose in ammo cans and they really resist wear from rubbing and scratching. The springs look to be an alloy of some kind and there is a white sealant that looks like it was intended to seal raw edges. Bottom line is they seem to be engineered to withstand corrosives (i.e., salt water). A few years ago, I purchased a couple dozen or so of these and am selling only a few. They are new, never even loaded. In personal use, I have found them to be extremly smooth and reliable. Not your ordinary mags, not even your ordinary Colts"
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone else know anything about these mags or the quality?
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#9]
I replied to your post in the mag forum, I would avoid these mags.  Don't fall for the 'Navy Seals' story, it's a sales gimmick.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hello again,

Here is the description I received from the person selling them ...

"Originally purchased these as "Navy Seal" mags.
View Quote

WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!! BULLSHIT ALERT!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hello again,

Here is the description I received from the person selling them ...

"Originally purchased these as "Navy Seal" mags.
View Quote

WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!! BULLSHIT ALERT!!
View Quote
..LOL...sounds like you nailed it!...Total BS....stay away.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all of the good info so far, Would you expect these would perform (feed & so forth) as well as any USGI mag or better/worse?

Take care.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]
These should perform as well if not better than any other USGI mag. I belive firmly in replacing the black follower with green ones, and sticking to USGI.
Just be aware, all kinds of crap gets sold, with a premium markup, as SEAL, Special Forces, or what have you. I know there are black teflon Colt mags out there. I have the district that has Camp Rudder Ranger training camp in it. The SEALS, DELTA, Special Forces, Air Force Spec Ops. all train on the Eglin Reservation. I have seen, and was even given one, so they do exist. Be advised, all I have ever seen, were post ban. Don't get yourself in a crack over a magazine. It ain't worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top