BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 3:40:57 AM EDT
www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4537621,00.html

Bennish back in class
STORY TOOLS

By Charlie Brennan, Rocky Mountain News
March 13, 2006
AURORA — Jay Bennish returned to his classroom this morning as Overland High School sought a return to normalcy in the wake of a national controversy over his teaching methods.

"Mr. Bennish is a member of our Blazer family, and as such he will be welcomed back here," said Principal Jana Frieler, in a brief press conference outside the school.

A tight rein was kept on members of the media who were restricted to one spot on the north side of the school property, and did not see Bennish enter the building.

It was the first day back in class for Bennish, after being put on paid administrative leave March 1, after a 10th grader’s 21-minute recording of a Bennish lecture to a world geography class was made public.

Bennish was reinstated on Friday after two days of meetings between Bennish, Cherry Creek School officials, and Bennish’s attorney, David Lane.

Bennish has been widely criticized for politically-charged remarks caught on the recording of a Feb. 1 class. His comments that day included his drawing a comparison between President Bush and Adolf Hitler.

Frieler this morning said she had been well aware that Bennish’s geography discussions typically go beyond learning the names of rivers, mountain ranges, and state capitols.

"It’s not about maps anymore," she said. "It’s about politics, it’s about religion, it’s about culture."

One of Bennish’s students, sophomore Chelsea Williams, said she is glad Bennish is back in the classroom. She doesn’t expect to see much change.

"He might be a little more cautious now," she said, who was in the specific class that had been recorded by classmate Sean Allen.

"I thought he made it clear that he wasn’t saying Bush and Hitler were the same person, but I think some students might have got the wrong impression."

And we wonder why most of the products from public school are unable to point out places on a map.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
This guy must have been doing things like this for some time ot make a student record a class on tape.

Saw the deal he had on one of the morning shows and they didn't tell the students side at all
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I had to email her.  People like her are what is ruining Colorado.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
best we can do is to educate our children at home so that they can recognize BS when they hear it (like Sean Allan) then call'em (teachers (I use the term loosely)) on any crap the instant it shows up.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:02:51 AM EDT
[#4]
When I took geography in high school it was about maps, countries, capitols, economics, and domestic production, with a little cultural information thrown in for fun. It was a survey course not unlike what you see in the CIA World Factbook. The teacher was kind of an artsy-fartsy liberal, but she kept her opinions to herself.

When I took physical geography in college, it was about soil, weather patterns, plate tectonics, oceanic patterns, topographic maps, soil and vegetation patterns, and glacial patterns. The final was 10 essay questions along the lines of, “Given the following oceanic pattern and prevailing winds, …, describe the weather on this imaginary continent.” The teacher was a pocket protector-wearing geek who talked 100 MPH and probably had an IQ of 160.

And there was no talk of friggin’ politics! The topic was geography!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:06:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When I took geography in high school it was about maps, countries, capitols, economics, and domestic production, with a little cultural information thrown in for fun. It was a survey course not unlike what you see in the CIA World Factbook. The teacher was kind of an artsy-fartsy liberal, but she kept her opinions to herself.

When I took physical geography in college, it was about soil, weather patterns, plate tectonics, oceanic patterns, topographic maps, soil and vegetation patterns, and glacial patterns. The final was 10 essay questions along the lines of, “Given the following oceanic pattern and prevailing winds, …, describe the weather on this imaginary continent.” The teacher was a pocket protector-wearing geek who talked 100 MPH and probably had an IQ of 160.

And there was no talk of friggin’ politics! The topic was geography!

That is what geography is suppose to be.  Now the liberals have turned it into a Humanity course.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:21:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Don't forget our other public attraction. Ward Churchill.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:28:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Government Schools have gone to crap.
Faculties consist of angry, bitter, lonely, sore losers from the 60's.
Don't be pissed at Bush because you couldn't laid in college asswipe.
Too many teachers are broadcasting " the world according to them"
and not reading, writing and arithmetic. Enough already.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

That's a MAN baby!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:34:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Maybe someone could teach Bennish about  places like Auschwitz, Sobibor, etc.

Idiot.

rj

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:35:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, there's another state to avoid.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Frieler this morning said she had been well aware that Bennish’s geography discussions typically go beyond learning the names of rivers, mountain ranges, and state capitols.

"It’s not about maps anymore," she said. "It’s about politics, it’s about religion, it’s about culture."

And I'm to be suprised when articles come out saying that X% of high school grads can't find the US on a map?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top