The News never rests.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:21:01 AM EDT
No reason why.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:24:21 AM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dsteelman:

No reason why.
View Quote

She plans to enforce transgender bathroom laws?

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:26:57 AM EDT
Now the new mayor can brag about how much money he saved and slashed spending in that podunk town on his 1st day in office.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:06:57 AM EDT
Marshal and law enforcement
Newberry doesn’t favor bringing back the marshal’s office, which was shut down last November following the exit of Marshal Tim Bradley. Instead, she supports exploring the possibility of forming a cooperative law enforcement agreement with El Paso County. “Let’s see how it works. Let’s give it a chance,” said the mayor pro tem.

She believes the town will get just as good service, if not better, under an intergovernmental agreement and possibly a sheriff’s substation. In addition, Newberry cites certain El Paso County Sheriff Department volunteer programs, such as citizen patrols, as steps residents can take to better equip their neighborhoods.

Newberry agrees with the view of the majority of the current trustees that GMF can’t afford a marshal’s office. In reality, she admits town leaders should have pulled the plug on the agency a number of years ago. “We haven’t been able to afford the coverage (of full-time marshal’s office) for some time. We have to spend the town’s money the best way we can.” In addition, with a marshal’s office, Newberry contends that residents are getting double taxed for local law enforcement services.
View Quote

Link
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:34:27 AM EDT
So she's going to disband the agency and contract to the county. Nothing new in LE.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:44:49 AM EDT
And then bitch because the response time to her bullshit complaint can't be measured in seconds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:45:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 7:48:05 AM EDT by Angel_King]
Green Mountain Falls is a super small and rural one exit town in the mountains between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park and about ten miles from both on SR 24. It's has like one restaurant/bar, a post office and maybe a gas station with a population of no more than 2/300. I didn't even know it was incorporated. How many full time cops can they have, 3?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:46:29 AM EDT
Never happened before....Big hairy deal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:54:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 7:55:34 AM EDT by tc556guy]
Originally Posted By Natty_Bumppo:
And then bitch because the response time to her bullshit complaint can't be measured in seconds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pretty much.
Consolidation efforts rarely work to the villages benefit as its residents no longer have the dedicated officers with shorter response times that they were previously used to

Originally Posted By Angel_King:
Green Mountain Falls is a super small and rural one exit town in the mountains between Colorado Springs and Woodland Park and about ten miles from both on SR 24. It's has like one restaurant/bar, a post office and maybe a gas station with a population of no more than 2/300. I didn't even know it was incorporated. How many full time cops can they have, 3?

Article says 700 residents
If you want even partial coverage on days and evenings with on-call response on the overnight hours, you need 5 officers minimum, which is what they had
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:55:17 AM EDT
We have done threads like this before, and it's always 3-4 total officers.  Not exactly a super busy agency I am sure.  Mostly one of those political small towns.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:04:52 AM EDT
Here's hoping the town of Kiowa's marshal is the next group to walk.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:08:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:12:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By India303:
Now the new mayor can brag about how much money he saved and slashed spending in that podunk town on his 1st day in office.

View All Quotes

Green Mountain Falls is home to nearly 700 people

“Our marshal and three deputies quit so that’s about all they said,” Ann Pinell said.

4 cops to police 700 people?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:16:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Balista:

View All Quotes

“Our marshal and three deputies quit so that’s about all they said,” Ann Pinell said.

You do know people don't work 24/7 right?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:23:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:54:34 AM EDT
well shit. My family's summer home is in that town. Hard enough to keep it safe with those lazy bastards on the job. Not finding them in the station is not a surprise, they were never there. I guess on the plus side they won't be pulling me over again for going 27 in a 25.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:57:36 AM EDT

View All Quotes

How much crime is actually in a 700 person town?  I bet the majority of what they do is speeding tickets.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:08:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 9:11:42 AM EDT by Angel_King]
Originally Posted By delemorte:

How much crime is actually in a 700 person town?  I bet the majority of what they do is speeding tickets.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By delemorte:

Thats all I can think of. The one time I went there to go hiking all I saw was well kept 2-3K Sf homes and everyone was 35 or older.

It sure as shit isn't a trailer park.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:11:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
So she's going to disband the agency and contract to the county. Nothing new in LE.
View Quote

No...they all quit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:19:26 PM EDT
That was a nice area, forty years ago.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:30:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Pretty much.

Consolidation efforts rarely work to the villages benefit as its residents no longer have the dedicated officers with shorter response times that they were previously used to

If you want even partial coverage on days and evenings with on-call response on the overnight hours, you need 5 officers minimum, which is what they had
View All Quotes

Pretty much.

Four according to the article...  One paid, the others volunteer.  

Towns of less than a thousand really don't need town police, IMHO.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:36:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 12:37:19 PM EDT by MonkTx]
I can't imagine the widespread looting and skyrocketing incidence of murder in the vast metropolis of 700 people now that their whole police force is gone.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 12:59:30 PM EDT by tc556guy]
Originally Posted By Lancelot:
More to the story.

Currently one full time guy and 3 unpaid reserve officers. It used to be 2 full time guys, 2 part time guys, and 4 to 6 reserves. They did not provide 24 hour coverage, nobody was on duty when the sun was up. They did provided a vital function helping the county respond to calls in their service area, and or holding scenes until the SO could show up. They covered accidents on the highway, which is very busy, and ran cover calls for Teller County, Woodland Park, and Manitou Springs. The SO doesn't even keep a car up there full time, they drift in and out. Their service area covered both El Paso and Teller County. There is limited cell phone service, and radio reception is spotty. Call volume is very low. They shared the radio with El Paso County who answered their phones and dispatched them.

It is hard to keep hard working professional people employed in that environment. The deputes were not paid very much. The deputies bought and supplied all their own equipment. This is not the first time they disbanded the office. It may be the last. It was a good gig for retired officers who needed some income and or wanted to keep their POST alive.

View Quote

Sounds pretty typical of small village agencies here, although most round here need more part timers since the guys they have working are still employed full time elsewhere and only work for the village a few days a month

Can't say
We don't have incorporated areas here with populations that small.
I guess it depends on what the townfolk are willing to fund.
One full timer and a couple of part time guys filling in around the edges isn't a lot of bodies
The cost in modern policing isn't the bodies, it's the equipment
The days of throwing a few forms on a shelf, giving an officer an office to work out of and giving him an ORI and calling it good are over,
Everything is going electronic, and that requires a certain amount of initial investment and on-going hardware and software updates that small villages increasingly can't pay for.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:04:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MonkTx:

I can't imagine the widespread looting and skyrocketing incidence of murder in the vast metropolis of 700 people now that their whole police force is gone.
Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
Worldstar!

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:11:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By curiomatic:
That was a nice area, forty years ago.
View Quote

What's changed?  I'd like to move there.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:17:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 1:18:13 PM EDT by John-in-austin]
Originally Posted By nictra:
well shit. My family's summer home is in that town. Hard enough to keep it safe with those lazy bastards on the job. Not finding them in the station is not a surprise, they were never there. I guess on the plus side they won't be pulling me over again for going 27 in a 25.
View Quote

I've never been able to figure out why folks think police never leave the station.   They are SUPPOSED to. If you went to the local PD here the most you would find would be the receptionist
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:26:50 PM EDT
View Quote

I used to camp and fish and party there when I was a kid. The gas station also has a bait shop.

I could see 1/2 of a cop for weekdays and 1.5 cops for weekends. But if I were the mayor, I would do what she did -- subcontract.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:30:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tuppergun:
Here's hoping the town of Kiowa's marshal is the next group to walk.
View Quote

Speeding ticket, 37 in a 35mph zones? Stumbling with the intent to fall. Standing in one place with intent to loiter?
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:37:17 PM EDT

I wish everyone would take a couple of extra seconds to copy and paste the gist of the article instead of just posting a link ...
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:38:22 PM EDT
With the high capacity magazine ban in place you just don't need the police any more.
Everybody is safe!
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:45:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:49:47 PM EDT

View Quote

The town I grew up in had one cop, the same cop the entire time I was growing up there, and response times sucked. Not because he was super busy with all the gangbanging he had to singlehandedly stop in a town of 300 people, but because he was old and no one could ever find him on the rare occasions he actually needed to be found, as opposed to when he was just stopping to BS with people he'd known since Hoover was President.

When I went to college he retired and the town decided to not hire a replacement cop. Response times got cut by orders of magnitude because 2 years before the State Police had moved a barracks to half a mile outside of town. Town cop got his retirement, town didn't have to pay for a "department" anymore, and the people could actually have a Trooper at their house inside of 5 minutes if they needed police to show up. Everyone won.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:49:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:53:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Medicfrost:

You're busy this morning Medicfrost.

The News never rests.

Oftentimes my wife will say "I just heard blah-blah-blah on the news".
My response is "I knew this morning, you should get your news at arfcom".
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:00:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By tusk212:
View Quote

And with 700 people in a rural environment with no crime requires a full time 24/7 police force?

The State Police could cover the area probably with zero service calls for long periods.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:03:11 PM EDT
View Quote

Think of it this way.....you can now hire 1 or 2 of the former cops to work as private security for the summer home keeping it safe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 2:12:04 PM EDT by capitolP]
I find it ironic that the only ones to find a problem with it are their police and a few ,leos, in this thread.  She clearly stated what she intended to do prior to the election, the people spoke...the cops walked.

P
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:23:31 PM EDT
ah....no biggie....my small hometown had about 80% of it's police force arrested for felony theft...they were one big crew of thieves...stealing over a three year period
before they messed up and got caught...then snitched each other out...God bless 'em....

the town survived
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:24:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/22/2016 2:26:41 PM EDT by tc556guy]
Originally Posted By 40xb-shooter:

So they are lazy for not sitting in the PD all day waiting for you?
View All Quotes

Exactly
People think officers just sit around the office all day
make an appointment or call dispatch and ask to have the officer respond back to their office

Originally Posted By capitolP:
I find it ironic that the only ones to find a problem with it are their police and a few ,leos, in this thread.  She clearly stated what she intended to do prior to the election, the people spoke...the cops walked.

P

Maybe some of us have seen the actual politics involved behind such decisions and how in the end it didn't work out as the politicians hoped it would
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:28:29 PM EDT

And with 700 people in a rural environment with no crime requires a full time 24/7 police force?

The State Police could cover the area probably with zero service calls for long periods.
View All Quotes

I've never been to Colorado, but from the looks of it, if you're asking the Colorado State Patrol to do anything, it'd better be a vehicle crash. Florida Highway Patrol is the same way.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:29:58 PM EDT

View All Quotes

no, they are lazy because they are at home, or at the bar instead of doing their jobs. Green Mountain Falls is better off without them. The biggest crime this town has is all the locals breaking in and stealing shit from the out of state people that own property there. My families summer home has been there for 3 generations and it's constantly being broken into.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:38:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:

Link
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
Marshal and law enforcement
Newberry doesn’t favor bringing back the marshal’s office, which was shut down last November following the exit of Marshal Tim Bradley. Instead, she supports exploring the possibility of forming a cooperative law enforcement agreement with El Paso County. “Let’s see how it works. Let’s give it a chance,” said the mayor pro tem.

She believes the town will get just as good service, if not better, under an intergovernmental agreement and possibly a sheriff’s substation. In addition, Newberry cites certain El Paso County Sheriff Department volunteer programs, such as citizen patrols, as steps residents can take to better equip their neighborhoods.

Newberry agrees with the view of the majority of the current trustees that GMF can’t afford a marshal’s office. In reality, she admits town leaders should have pulled the plug on the agency a number of years ago. “We haven’t been able to afford the coverage (of full-time marshal’s office) for some time. We have to spend the town’s money the best way we can.” In addition, with a marshal’s office, Newberry contends that residents are getting double taxed for local law enforcement services.

Link

Thanks for doing what the OP is to fucking lazy to do in everyone of his fucking threads.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:45:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BikerNut:

I used to camp and fish and party there when I was a kid. The gas station also has a bait shop.

I could see 1/2 of a cop for weekdays and 1.5 cops for weekends. But if I were the mayor, I would do what she did -- subcontract.

View All Quotes

She didn't disband them.  Article says that she intends to gather funds and hire new guys.  I get the feeling that she said that she was going to enact policies that would have been bad for the officers (what I don't know) except that the existing officers were done putting up with crap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:47:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Jame_Retief:
She didn't disband them.  Article says that she intends to gather funds and hire new guys.  I get the feeling that she said that she was going to enact policies that would have been bad for the officers (what I don't know) except that the existing officers were done putting up with crap.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jame_Retief:

I've found that when you work for free, the level of crap you're willing to put up with is usually mighty low.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:56:48 PM EDT
My guess is they got wind of some changes the new mayor had in mind and split. I've seen that happen a few times. I'm thankful we are not accountable to an elected tyrant as most mayors tend to be.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:01:31 PM EDT

Exactly
make an appointment or call dispatch and ask to have the officer respond back to their office

Maybe some of us have seen the actual politics involved behind such decisions and how in the end it didn't work out as the politicians hoped it would
View All Quotes

Exactly

Originally Posted By capitolP:

P

My experience with small town PDs like this suggests the only policing they do is running speed traps at the edge of town. Odds are none of the locals will miss getting lit up for 35 inside the edge of a 30. County does it cheaper and better in most cases. I work in a village with a population over 12k and we contract county so I'm sure a town of 700 will manage fine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:02:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

I've never been to Colorado, but from the looks of it, if you're asking the Colorado State Patrol to do anything, it'd better be a vehicle crash. Florida Highway Patrol is the same way.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

Same in Illinois. If it didn't happen on the interstate you won't be getting a trooper.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top