Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/9/2002 11:30:11 AM EDT
Damn, I'm on the east side of the Denver metro area and the smoke from the Glenwood Springs Area (I gather, unless there is a New one) Is THICK. can't barely see 1/2 mile here!  Smell of the fire(smoke) is pretty noticable.  Sunlight is "orange" in color.. haven't seen it this bad before unless I was AT the fire.

This is going to be something else!  Hope it rains and/or is out soon!!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope.  It's from the Lake George fire.  

I was just at the gas station and the clerk there said something about the storm clouds overhead.  She about freaked when I told her it was smoke from a fire, and not an incoming storm.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I just called the Rocky News newsroom at 303-892-5201. "Hey, what's up with that here smoke clouds billowing through the streets of Central Denver?"

They [i][b]believe[/b][/i] it's the Lake George fire, at the other side of Highlands Ranch, Park County. Dammit! There's smoke particles falling down on my garden table here and the stench of burnt wood is pretty strong.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 1:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The question is is the whole state gonna burn this year? Just the beginning of the fire season, and already a lot of fires.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I can see the smoke clouds from Colo Spgs.  I hope we get a s**t load of rain to help out.  Those Firefighters have one hell of a tough job.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
If we get a good easterly we'll be living next to the Smoky Mountains.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the worst smoke I've ever seen from a mountain fire. It feels like the fire is a mile away (not 50 or more). There's so much ash coming down that it looks like snow flurries and everything has an orange tint. I hope those mountain dwellers have fire insurance...

Matt
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
By the way, that Tanner gun show this weekend was the smallest I've ever seen. I know it's June, but even last June's show was twice as big as this one...

Matt
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys, I'm in it. The good news is that it's not as bad (knock on wood) as we thought at first. We heard as many as 150 homes had burned, today they are saying about 20, plus many with damage. I had just moved up here in 1994 when the Storm King fire happened, and I think this one was bigger last night. The whole damn place was on fire.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I am worried about the Lake George fire, but the Glenwood springs sounds a lot worse. Did they ever open I-70?
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I live 25 miles west of Glenwood Springs. We are getting smoke from the Grand Junction area (70 miles west). Visibility is down to a couple of miles.

I-70 reopened 3:30-4:00 this afternoon.

I spent the day Jeeping on the Flattops and the smoke from Glenwood was just amazing. It looked like it would top out onto the Flattops  east of us just any time.

Here is a link to channel 9 out of Denver;

[url=http://www.9news.com/storyfull.asp?id=3636]Coal Seam Fire[/url]

Access is very limited to the fire and the winds are too high for the slurry bombers.

More wind and no chance of rain in the forecast.

I don't evy you one little bit dc306. My daughter lives in Glenwood, but thank God she, her mother and stepdad just got back from a vacation in the Pacific NW today and are staying with grandma and grandpa in Silt.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Colorado springs checking in here.  Wow, I have been watching the smoke plume all day.  Since it is clear here you can see the whole thing.  It doesn't look like its that far away, so if its in Lake George, it must be huge.  You guys be careful!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#14]
anyone find any sat foto's of the smoke, post 'em.. I'll take a look on line in a bit...
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I know what you're saying. I went on Saturday with a big list of parts and ammo in my hand and left the show with a big, fat nothing...

Matt

Quoted:
It was crap, I did take 4 new 20 rounder mags from a guy that was schleping DPMS parts, along with 4 green followers. Ammo prices were high, gun prices were outrageous...
dave
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't believe everything you hear on the news. The national news is reporting that a car dealership and the Community center has burned. It hasn't.
24 Houses and 14 out building have though. They've evacuated about half the town, but, in my opinion are overreacting a bit by doing it. I spent most of the day on a ridge overlooking the town. Yesterday the evacs were justifiable but today the danger in town was relitively low. The flattops are raging tonight, I can see fire upto about 15 miles away going several hundred feet in the air and moving fast. It wouldn't suprise me if they report 20-30 thousand acres burned by morning.

So far no one has been hurt or killed, a few close calls but everyone is safe so far.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#17]
well, it's a lot clearer now..

I made a mistake...yesterday I had left my car windows rolled down...  guess what I found inside?

lots of ash...  doh!

I didn't realise how many fires we had going here in CO at one time.. going to be one hell of a summer....

God speed the Firefighters and send rain! (snow if you got it!) [:)]
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I was out not that long ago and the smoke is bad again. Anyone live in the sw metro area?

Link Posted: 6/10/2002 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Colorado springs checking in here.  Wow, I have been watching the smoke plume all day.  Since it is clear here you can see the whole thing.  It doesn't look like its that far away, so if its in Lake George, it must be huge.  You guys be careful!
View Quote

Whew! I've got a deal goin with a member in CO. springs, I heard this morning there had been like 40000 evacuations, was wondering if he was ok. He told me yesterday on phone there was plenty of smoke around. You CO members take care. (gee I hope the mail runs ok![:\])
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Its crazy, Im in Grand Junction (85 miles west of glenwood springs) Its way smokey here, I cant turn on my swamp cooler because it fills the house with smoke! It was alot less windy today, so that should help. I guess there is a solar eclipse today, but I probibly wont be able to see anything.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I am 11 miles from the Glenwood Springs fire and there is NO smoke here. I guess this means that Denver SUCKS. If I evac the guns and gold get packed first. Then the wife and cats.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I am 11 miles from the Glenwood Springs fire and there is NO smoke here. I guess this means that Denver SUCKS. If I evac the guns and gold get packed first. Then the wife and cats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top