Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/8/2004 11:18:53 AM EST
spectrum.buffalo.edu/article.php?id=16021

Ten-Year Lethal Weapon Ban to Be Lifted

A ten-year federal ban on assault weapons that was instituted in 1994 will be lifted next week when it expires on Monday.

Already, gun lovers everywhere are putting in orders for semiautomatic rifles and high-capacity ammunition, all of which will be readily available unless Congress intervenes.

A spokesman for the Consumer Federation of America, a proponent of gun control laws, said the group fears a drop in price and thus an increase in potential problems with the lethal weapons. The Federation also predicts that police may have to use a more "militaristic approach" as more firearms become available.

The Senate opted for a renewal of the ban earlier in the year, but it was only a piece of a larger bill that included other items rejected by the White House. President Bush said in his 2000 campaign that he would try to extend the ban, but has not attended to the issue since.

not just due to this, but either the paper has gotten much more liberal than when I was there as a student, or I didn't pay as close of attention back then.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:21:57 AM EST
>>>"high-capacity ammunition"

Funny that people writing these editorials never check their facts to try to understand what they are writing about.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:23:53 AM EST
High-capacity ammunition=Large belted magnums I guess
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:23:56 AM EST
the misunderstanding of the awb is something that will bewilder me until i die. people are stupid.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:25:19 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:25:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By Bailey:
>>>"high-capacity ammunition"

Funny that people writing these editorials never check their facts to try to understand what they are writing about.

Yeah, you know, 77gr .223 instead of .55 gr!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:26:16 AM EST
Bailey: Funny, it makes it kind of funny these people really don't truely understand or know what they're advocating, most like this story is being spurred by a anti-gun professor who says the AWB is ending, go write a story on it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:29:44 AM EST
My high capacity 5.56 has 10 bullets per cartridge, more thrusts per squeeze.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:35:45 AM EST
I'm considering writing a letter to the editor refuting it. not sure if they'll take letters from non-students.
I did get a letter published back when I was a student there. I do work at the school (temp job with hopes of getting a permanent position) and the liberalism/ABB is sickening. One of my cowokers got on a rant the other day about Haliburton and all these students in ear shot were like "yeah, bush sucks"
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:36:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By warlord:
Bailey: Funny, it makes it kind of funny these people really don't truely understand or know what they're advocating, most like this story is being spurred by a anti-gun professor who says the AWB is ending, go write a story on it.

Actually, most university newspapers don't have prof's telling the students what to write about. They may keep stuff out (and generally get in trouble over censorship) but generally aren't sitting there saying "do this, do that". This obviously doesn't apply to private colleges.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 11:38:35 AM EST

Originally Posted By sharky30:
I'm considering writing a letter to the editor refuting it. not sure if they'll take letters from non-students.
I did get a letter published back when I was a student there. I do work at the school (temp job with hopes of getting a permanent position) and the liberalism/ABB is sickening. One of my cowokers got on a rant the other day about Haliburton and all these students in ear shot were like "yeah, bush sucks"

Writing a letter wouldn't hurt.

I know our student paper will publish, on occasion, letters from faculty/staff/students AND alumni.
Top Top