Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2013 6:43:07 PM EDT
Anyone have one? How do you like it? I just got the six person one and it seems pretty nice. I noticed it didn't come with the rain fly, but is it really necessary?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one of the Walmart hiker tents. It works fine.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#4]
No experience with that particular tent but for me a rain fly is mandatory.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy has one, it weighs a ton. Super quick and easy setup. Perfect if you want a dedicated truck tent.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
No rain fly?

That's odd.

I don't have that one.  I had what I think was it's predecessor, the Coleman Sundome.

I probably just got lucky because it certainly didn't seem like quality, but that little tent was THE FUCKING BOMB.  The shit I did to (and in..) that poor tent you wouldn't believe.  It was like the Bluesmobile.  It finally said goodbye in a blinding gale, after sheltering us from hell for about ten hours, after a week on a beach in a place where trees grow crooked.  We said fuck it, got the last of our shit out and ready to go, I grabbed the first rope to collapse the tent and the whole thing just tore to shreds in my hand.  It was about ten years old at that point.  Loved that fucking tent.

Had a bottom made of tarp plastic.  Never leaked a drop.  When it started raining sideways hard enough for it to drip in the top vents under the rainfly you had to bail it out though.

Otherwise, it's probably a fair inexpensive car camper tent.  Coleman is pretty good for that.  Take care of it and rig it right for your conditions and I wouldn't be surprised if it keeps you happy for a while.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Just looked it up.  No rainfly standard.  They sell one, but frankly it looks kinda hokey, and it's $65 on amazon.  If it looks that bad out, throw a tarp over it and stake it down with some overhang.  It's also not even close to the same as my Sundome.  We had the precursor to that one in scouts when I was a kid.  They were great 20 years ago at least.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]
can an old, white-haired, Cuban-American set one up?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone have one? How do you like it? I just got the six person one and it seems pretty nice. I noticed it didn't come with the rain fly, but is it really necessary?  
View Quote

The rainfly is optional.  I was looking at one just because mine from Cabelas is a PITA to put up unless i have a couple of people helping.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I love Coleman tents. My sun domes have served very well over the years.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:44:23 AM EDT
[#11]

I have the 8 person version…

Great for camp sites you can drive or take the boat to.

I sure as hell wouldn’t want to hump it.

I didn’t get a rain cover either, haven’t had it in the rain
yet so I don't know if I need one.

I was thinking about spraying it down with Rust-Oleum
NeverWet…

Maybe just the seams…

Either way, it’s a nice tent for under $200.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:46:54 AM EDT
[#12]
the rain fly is sold separate.

I don't have one of their instants buy I have a monster hybrid dome tent that is a coleman. Its been going for 10 years or so. 0 issues
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:47:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I looked at them but reviews were all over the place, especially WRT rain resistance... and no one stocked the rain fly.

A buddy has the 10- or 12-man version.  Loves it, goes up quick, but it took in a lot of water on the last camping trip.  In the tents defense, it was the wettest trip I had ever been on and they guy said he left off a couple of poles which may have made the roof taut and prevented pooling.  (It wouldn't surprise me if all the "bad" rain reviews were from people that didn't set the tent up properly.)
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#14]
They are fine for car camping in nice weather. It is essentially just a privacy shelter which is all you need for summer camp outs in a state park type situation.

I would not take one up a mountain though or use it in winter months.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The rainfly is optional.  I was looking at one just because mine from Cabelas is a PITA to put up unless i have a couple of people helping.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried a few of those instant tents back some years ago.  They almost definitely used a different system, but they just moved the PITA from set up to take down.  

So you're hung over, been sleeping on a rock for three days, smell like a badly kept goat, and you've got to shit, and THAT'S when the pain starts.

These might be different, but I'm wary.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#16]
My parents have one. It isn't very instant if you ask me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#17]
I got the tent in yesterday and I had it out of the bag and put up in my living room in less than 30 seconds.  It took three minutes to take down.  The windows are huge and it seems very durable.  Wondering if I should get a rainfly or if I should just take a tarp in case it is needed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I have one.

It sets up easy.  I can do it by myself in about 5-10 minutes.  Take down takes a few minutes longer.  I bought it in October-November 2011 and have used it about 12-18 times.  On one of those trips I broke a couple of the plastic linkages, which can not be bought from Coleman so I had to fab some up out of turnbuckles.  I camp in a pretty dusty environment.  We have to fight the  locking mechanism every time we set it up.  Sometimes they lock up and wont budge.  Sometimes they dont lock up at all and the thing partially collapses.  Keep WD-40 with you.  Water resistance has been ok.  We stay dry but we have not been in heavy prolonged downpours.  I also set it up on my 16' trailer (which is a bit narrower than the tent) so I'm sure that helps.  Its my poor folk toy hauler.

It is fairly heavy so I wouldnt want to carry it too far.  I'd probably buy it again just because its so easy to set up and works for what we do with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top