Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/29/2005 10:07:34 PM EDT
What do y'all wear to run in the cold weather?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:44:12 AM EDT
I'll wear shorts and a nylon windbreaker down to about 40 degrees.

Below that, I have a pair of nylon wind pants that I will wear over a pair of shorts, and a Asics coat. The coat does not have a liner. I will layer under that depending on what temperature it is.

I wear a balaklava, and will either wear it as a stocking cap, or pull it down around my neck, depending on conditions. I have a set of thin gloves that make it to about 40 degrees. Below that, I wear a heavier set of gloves.

I never wear more than one pair of socks... Funny how my feet do not get cold.

I run outside all winter in the NE Ohio weather, provided there is not snow on the ground. The parkway has a truck that they plow the running path with, so usually I can run outside the day after a big snow storm.

I've headed out for a 20 miler in February one year, when the temperature was 4 below zero at the start. My water bottle turned to slush in my hands while I was running... Yeah, that was a friggin' cold day...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:39:34 AM EDT
I add layers of synthetic material - coolmax or capilene under goretex/activent pants and shell. Gloves and a hat as neccessary. When I was in New England, my outfit maxed out at socks x 2, capilene long underwear, fleece vest, coolmax long sleeve shirt, gore tex wind pants, activent shell, fleece hat, and fleece lined gloves. That worked down to high teens/low 20s - colder than that I stayed indoors.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:26:43 PM EDT
I usually wear a tee shirt with a sweat shirt over it, and a pair of shorts. When it is cold enough I throw on some gloves and a stocking cap to keep my ears warm.

I have run this combo down into the teens for 5K. Of course I wear shorts all year round, so take it for what its worth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:20:24 PM EDT
Bump. I usually just wear sweatpants and a t-shirt. If it gets colder I'll throw on a hooded sweatshirt. Then again, it doesn't get as cold down here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:19:19 AM EDT
loose sweatshirt over a poly t-shirt. nylon shorts under a non-insulated pair of nylon windpants. head/neck gear and gloves as required
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:54:57 PM EDT
I wear thick shorts and a long sleeve fleece pull over shirt and a t-shirt, it doesnt get cold enough in my area to need any special cold weather clothing
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:18:30 AM EDT
Sweatshirt sometimes and sweat pants. I have found running with a cap and knit gloves really adds to the comfort level when running in the cold.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:21:30 AM EDT
cold gear made by underarmor
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 2:42:14 PM EDT by tinman831]
I hate wearing too much clothing when I run. It feels so cumbersome. I'll be in a tank top and shorts probably down to 35-40F. Anything colder and it's not even worth running outside. But come on, it doesn't get that cold in Texas anyhow?
Top Top