Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 10:07:34 PM EDT
What do y'all wear to run in the cold weather?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll wear shorts and a nylon windbreaker down to about 40 degrees.

Below that, I have a pair of nylon wind pants that I will wear over a pair of shorts, and a Asics coat.  The coat does not have a liner.  I will layer under that depending on what temperature it is.

I wear a balaklava, and will either wear it as a stocking cap, or pull it down around my neck, depending on conditions.  I have a set of thin gloves that make it to about 40 degrees.  Below that, I wear a heavier set of gloves.

I never wear more than one pair of socks...  Funny how my feet do not get cold.

I run outside all winter in the NE Ohio weather, provided there is not snow on the ground.  The parkway has a truck that they plow the running path with, so usually I can run outside the day after a big snow storm.

I've headed out for a 20 miler in February one year, when the temperature was 4 below zero at the start.  My water bottle turned to slush in my hands while I was running...  Yeah, that was a friggin' cold day...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I add layers of synthetic material - coolmax or capilene under goretex/activent pants and shell.  Gloves and a hat as neccessary.  When I was in New England, my outfit maxed out at socks x 2, capilene long underwear, fleece vest, coolmax long sleeve shirt, gore tex wind pants, activent shell, fleece hat, and fleece lined gloves.  That worked down to high teens/low 20s - colder than that I stayed indoors.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I usually wear a tee shirt with a sweat shirt over it, and a pair of shorts. When it is cold enough I throw on some gloves and a stocking cap to keep my ears warm.

I have run this combo down into the teens for 5K. Of course I wear shorts all year round, so take it for what its worth.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump.  I usually just wear sweatpants and a t-shirt.  If it gets colder I'll throw on a hooded sweatshirt.  Then again, it doesn't get as cold down here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#5]
loose sweatshirt over a poly t-shirt.  nylon shorts under a non-insulated pair of nylon windpants.  head/neck gear and gloves as required
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I wear thick shorts and a long sleeve fleece pull over shirt and a t-shirt, it doesnt get cold enough in my area to need any special cold weather clothing
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Sweatshirt sometimes and sweat pants. I have found running with a cap and knit gloves really adds to the comfort level when running in the cold.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:21:30 AM EDT
[#8]
cold gear made by underarmor
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate wearing too much clothing when I run.  It feels so cumbersome.  I'll be in a tank top and shorts probably down to 35-40F.  Anything colder and it's not even worth running outside.  But come on, it doesn't get that cold in Texas anyhow?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top