Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2014 12:45:01 AM EDT
what does arfcom approve of....?

been looking at underarmour and also the cabelas house brand.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
High end is any of the merino wool stuff.  I usually just grab polypro from patagucci or the like.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I just have some old Cabela's branded polypro. Sock liners included. I'm sure the wool stuff mentioned works great but Colorado doesn't get Alaska cold and if it does I'm sure as shit not getting out in it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:01:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
High end is any of the merino wool stuff.  I usually just grab polypro from patagucci or the like.
View Quote

yeah, i was thinking of merino wool...love that stuff...probably not interested in spending that much money though
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:14:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Lower body, I use silk sock liners and wool long johns. I think I got them both from REI. I haven't found any synthetics that are as warm.

Upper body, I wear an Under Armour Cold Gear compression shirt. It's pretty warm, and I'm wearing a coat anyway, so it works well.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Dude...it's a fucking conpsiracy around here; both Wal-Marts don't carry long-johns or hunting thermals.  I don't understand why the fuck, either.  I've been out to both of them multiple times and yesterday was the first day I saw some, and they were all size S/M and JUST THE FUCKING SHIRTS.
DUDE...WTFing FUCK!?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Smartwool, best but spendy
I wear Patagonia or REI brand stuff mainly, got some good deals at their Outlet online
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:16:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought cabelas ecwcs med. weight polartecs for duck hunting this past year. They've been pretty swell for me.
I couldn't justify the coin for wool. Now I just need to figure out sustained foot warmth.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
For the money I dont think you can beat the carrhart heavy thermal underwear.
$25 per piece, i wear it every day. It was close to zero here the other morning with 15 mph wind and all i had was my thermals and underwear on under my work pants.
That was starting to push the limit but i wasnt cold by any means.
Got mine at Attwoods and will be buying more.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want to shell out the bucks merino wool is the best. If not, polypro is the way to go. I have an UA coldgear shirt and it is not as good as the cheap military polypro that I have. I have these and they are great for the money. Four for $20 tops or bottoms.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/4-new-us-military-surplus-polypro-ecws-long-underwear-pants.aspx?a=1537748
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Merino.  

Worth its weight in gold.  I buy smart wool off of Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:53:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dude...it's a fucking conpsiracy around here; both Wal-Marts don't carry long-johns or hunting thermals.  I don't understand why the fuck, either.  I've been out to both of them multiple times and yesterday was the first day I saw some, and they were all size S/M and JUST THE FUCKING SHIRTS.
DUDE...WTFing FUCK!?

View Quote

Ha. I grew up in Buffalo as a kid and you can buy long underwear at a fucking gas station!  I was prepping for an AFG trip last year and went to buy some long johns and there wasn't a single store that carried them. In fact most folks didn't even know what I was referring to. This is Tampa though....
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:03:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Polyester/polypropylene is more durable but fine wool is more comfortable.  Both are good choices and come in different weights/ thicknesses.  Wool has the advantage that if you're tending to a fire it's not flammable whereas polyester will have a hole where the embers fall.  If you're careful, it shouldn't be a problem.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I just use cheap-ass Champion stuff from Target.  

I'm out for about an hour at a time twice a day, pushing a heavy bike with studded ice tires at a moderate exertion level, so my layers are pretty thin to let me reject moisture.   base layer, thin doubleknit poly insulating layer, very thin gore tex (gander mountain GSX) wind shell.

I have a pair of orange 100 gm. thinsulate hunting gloves and "-35F-rated"  Keen moon boots.

My setup takes me down to about -20F in great comfort,  as long as I keep moving. It would be completely unsuitable for standing around or sitting.

ETA: Durability: most of my stuff is at  5~7 years old.  Daily use in the cold, and it gets cycled through the laundry a lot.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:06:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Merino.  

Worth its weight in gold.  I buy smart wool off of Amazon.
View Quote

you guys talked me into it...went for Icebreaker merino wool..

http://us.icebreaker.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-IB-US-Site/en/Home-Show

twice as expensive as polypro...hope its worth it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:09:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Military polypropylene is what you seek ..... It's what I wear & recommend to everyone !
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Past few days it been 12- 25 degrees here in VA. Working outside I've been comfortable wearing;

Underwear
T-Shit
Underarmour Bottoms
Henley
Carhartt Boot socks
Basic Ploy-Cotton Uniform pants
Flannel Shirt
Fleece Vest
Military wool shirt
Carhartt Work Jacket

With proper gloves, a hat and something to cover my ears, I've been very comfortable.

Underarour beats the fuck out of the old style Long-johns.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:16:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Army Silkies work well as the base layer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:25:04 AM EDT
[#18]
In the army I always received Merino wool undergarments as special issue along with other specialized cold weather gear.  

Poly pro is fine if you're a cheap bastard and don't mind being a stinky bastard after day 2.  It's also great if you like dying a slow painful death if caught in a fire.

Merino is superior and worth the money.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Surplus Med. weight G.I.  Polypro is the bomb for when it gets below zero.
Pain in the ass for washing though, thanks to the dryer melting the stuff. I have like 6 sets that are crispy thanks to getting mixed in with work clothes.

The Cheapo underarmor knockoff stuff from Wal-mart does ok too, especially under fleece midlayers when remaining active.
Generic silkies under Carhart arctic coveralls does a hell of a good job when things get downright nasty.

The Merino wool stuff is awesome, but again, can be a PITA if you wear it often and get sweaty.
Special washing and drying is needed, as it can't just be tossed in on high in the dryer.

If I'm just out for 3-4 hours and not going out in the woods or field all day, I'll just put on some cheapo cotton and put up with it getting soaked until I get back in and change.
The cotton stuff washes clean of oil, grease, saw gas and diesel, plus it's cheap enough to end up as shop rags when it gets too bad.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:32:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I wear expedition weight poly 7 months out of the year up here in Michigan.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:32:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
DUDE...WTFing FUCK!?

View Quote

In the fall wm had a lot of "starter" brand 100% polyester "cold compression" stuff that is pretty warm. It's pretty much gone now though

It's not as thick as ua, but still pretty good for $16

I have some Merino will bottoms but the starter stuff seems warmer, maybe it's bc it's compression fit

Brian
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:36:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the mid-weight capilene from Patagonia; it's light, warm, wicks sweat and lasts forever.

I use their Expedition weight capilene for the coldest days - part of my winter mountaineering gear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:37:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Past few days it been 12- 25 degrees here in VA. Working outside I've been comfortable wearing;

Underwear
T-Shit
Underarmour Bottoms
Henley
Carhartt Boot socks
Basic Ploy-Cotton Uniform pants
Flannel Shirt
Fleece Vest
Military wool shirt
Carhartt Work Jacket

With proper gloves, a hat and something to cover my ears, I've been very comfortable.

Underarour beats the fuck out of the old style Long-johns.
View Quote

+1 on the Carhart insulated Boot socks.
I was shocked. I'm a sock and boot snob, and was shocked.
I can run around in the snow and negative temps, wearing summer weight steel toe farm boots, and stay plenty warm with the Carhart socks.
No need to drag out the Insulated Danner hunting boots and get them all stunk up with saw gas.

Old style long johns?
You must mean the cotton junk from Hanes.
The old style red wool trapdoors are damn hard to beat still. Just itchy as hell until they get broken in, and washed with some lanolin.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:52:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pain in the ass for washing though, thanks to the dryer melting the stuff. I have like 6 sets that are crispy thanks to getting mixed in with work clothes.

View Quote

Yeah ..... The dryer will shrink that shit up real quick !  

Hell ... I have the tops & the bottoms & can only wear the bottoms because if I wear both I get to damn hot !!!  
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:52:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Cheap: REI Polartec

Pricey: Smartwool

I'd go with the Smartwool, they're pretty fucking awesome
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Wool is always my base layer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:57:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Military polypropylene is what you seek ..... It's what I wear & recommend to everyone !
View Quote

Works for me.

I have a set of the older black polypros and they do a fine job underneath my work clothes. I drive a flatbed 18-wheeler to Chicago twice a week so I'm outside in the cold/wind/snow/wind/wind unstrapping and folding tarps. Outer layers are  polypro balaclava, Duluth Trading Company 'trucker coat', Dickies work pants, and 1000gram Georgia work boots. I need a better hat but this setup keeps me plenty warm down to -10F as long as I'm moving.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:58:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

yeah, i was thinking of merino wool...love that stuff...probably not interested in spending that much money though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I picked up a bunch of merino wool tops from dept. store clearance sales.  They were slight v-necks but functioned fine in the layer stack.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:59:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I have Underarmor, The North Face and Nike Dri-Fit and love them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:01:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wool is always my base layer.
View Quote

Wool is GREAT but it is usually my second layer FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:12:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Works for me.

I have a set of the older black polypros and they do a fine job underneath my work clothes. I drive a flatbed 18-wheeler to Chicago twice a week so I'm outside in the cold/wind/snow/wind/wind unstrapping and folding tarps. Outer layers are  polypro balaclava, Duluth Trading Company 'trucker coat', Dickies work pants, and 1000gram Georgia work boots. I need a better hat but this setup keeps me plenty warm down to -10F as long as I'm moving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works for me.

I have the old school type like the one's above. They actually have a " newer " generation also that " feels " like a thinner material.
You can get these for a very good price if you shop around .....
Unless if you must absolutely have to have the ones with the U-A logo .....

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:10:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hell ... I have the tops & the bottoms & can only wear the bottoms because if I wear both I get to damn hot !!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a Lattitude thing.
Come on up for a week and they work perfectly together.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzGB2nbmw4wJsKkQaJvIrkjm4PAKKn6nXSkieKJKYZ_YL88-iw

I have the old school type like the one's above. They actually have a " newer " generation also that " feels " like a thinner material.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Works for me.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzGB2nbmw4wJsKkQaJvIrkjm4PAKKn6nXSkieKJKYZ_YL88-iw

What is the 'newer' generations called?  is it still polypro or fleece?

I have some of the brown polypro and i agree it is very warm..  Im sure its the older version though..  

brian
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I bought cabelas ecwcs med. weight polartecs for duck hunting this past year. They've been pretty swell for me. I couldn't justify the coin for wool. Now I just need to figure out sustained foot warmth.
View Quote

These socks are really, really warm.

http://www.amazon.com/Heat-Holders-Extra-Charcoal-1-Pair/dp/B0093FXJO2/ref=pd_sim_hpc_2
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#36]
I know you mentioned you don't want to spend a lot of money, but wool is worth the price of admission.

Wool, alpaca, or a wool/alpaca blend is hard to beat for warmth and its ability to wick moisture away from your body.

There are other man made products out there for base layers, but many will do nothing but keep you soaked in your own perspiration.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:55:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I know you mentioned you don't want to spend a lot of money, but wool is worth the price of admission.

Wool, alpaca, or a wool/alpaca blend is hard to beat for warmth and its ability to wick moisture away from your body.

There are other man made products out there for base layers, but many will do nothing but keep you soaked in your own perspiration.
View Quote

Alpaca?    Sorry    do you know anyone with a set of goat leggings?    Alpaca
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Underarmour is extremely overpriced and overrated for cold weather.  I have tried it, but
it still does not work as well as my old Duofold double layer polypro
and merino wool.

Recently, I bought some Layer 8 shirts at TJ Maxx for $10 each.  It's
the mock neck thicker ones with soft fleece in the inside and they work
very well and outperform Underarmour for cold weather.

The Layer 8 stuff proved it's worth in the recent -15 degree weather we had here in MI.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I came here to post this.

I've got some merino from Woolrich and Smartwool that are pretty nice, but most of my base layer stuff is Patagonia.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#40]
cant stand wool, even the fine shit

knock off underarmour from cabellas as a base, then wool/fleece
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Patagonia capilene. I use it backpacking, climbing, camping, cycling. Layers great, lots of versatility between levels 1-4, depending on how warm you want to be.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Polypro sock liners, wool socks, polypro tops and bottoms with a pullover fleece over that. Top it all off with a 550 fill down coat and I am never cold.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Been cold here in Michigan, and thought I'd throw this idea out here...FLEECE LINED PANTS.   Either jeans or as I prefer...CARGO PANTS!  For you cold weather climate guys, try 'em, you will never wear anything else.  Flannel lined are OK, but not as warm.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
what does arfcom approve of....?

been looking at underarmour and also the cabelas house brand.
View Quote

The Cabelas "mid-weight" is pretty light weight.  The wool stuff the Army issued me back in the 80's works better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:12:07 PM EDT
[#45]
A set of ColdPruf thermals, flannel lined Carhart pants, a midweight fleece top, carhart sherpa lined hooded jacket, neoprene face mask, wool socks, and Sorrel pacboots, have kept me nice and warm all the way down to -30. What I have yet to find are good gloves that keep my fingers warm once it drops into the teens or below. I probably have 10 pairs of gloves sitting in a box, from cheapo ones to expensive ones.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Duofold
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
A set of ColdPruf thermals, flannel lined Carhart pants, a midweight fleece top, carhart sherpa lined hooded jacket, neoprene face mask, wool socks, and Sorrel pacboots, have kept me nice and warm all the way down to -30. What I have yet to find are good gloves that keep my fingers warm once it drops into the teens or below. I probably have 10 pairs of gloves sitting in a box, from cheapo ones to expensive ones.
View Quote

Are you dead-set on gloves? Try mittens. I've got a pair of fleece-lined wool mittens that are actually too hot to wear until it gets below zero.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top