Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2003 2:29:44 PM EDT
What is this? I have a guy applying for membership at my local VFW post and this is his submission for qualification.

I served in the US Army from '82-'92 including 7 years in Germany which in turn included 3 years running the fence line near Fulda (OP Alpha).

I've never heard of this medal. Can someone enlighten me?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]foxfall.com/cwm.htm[/url]

There you go
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Good info.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I just a got a letter from the VFW trying to get me to join since I have an Army Occupation Medal.
Berlin 82-84. It is my understanding that the cold war medal is not issued by the government. Can't be worn on uniform etc.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:40:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I just a got a letter from the VFW trying to get me to join since I have an Army Occupation Medal.
Berlin 82-84. It is my understanding that the cold war medal is not issued by the government. Can't be worn on uniform etc.
View Quote

Yeah, they had a booth at the last Volksfest I was at in Berlin.  They signed everyone up...it was called The Last Outpost, IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The Air Force does not and will not honor the "Cold War" medal.  You may not wear it on your uniform if you are active/guard/reserve.
[url] www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/awards/ColdWarServiceMedalUpdate.htm [/url]

(edited to add)  For some reason the link doesn't work.  The text of the message is as follows:  COLD WAR SERVICE MEDAL UPDATE:
The Department of Defense will not be creating a Cold War Service medal. Any commemorative medals made by private vendors are unauthorized on the military uniform.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:11:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, no love for us Cold-warriors.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I know, we get nothing...

however there is this...
I got mine.

[url]https://www.perscomonline.army.mil/tagd/coldwar/default.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 5:56:28 AM EDT
[#8]
How long did you have to wait for yours? I sent away for mine ages ago but all I have so far is the confirmation letter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]
When I lived in NJ I ordered it in Dec 2000, When I moved to TX in Feb 2001 I emailed them to update my address. I received it around April 2001.

If I remember, When I ordered it I received an email that said approx 6 months to process.

Here is what it looks like...
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=20509[/img]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top